Are water changes realy necessary?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No you aren't....you're typing right now...lol. Wind and Wave action in the ocean does the protien skimming and water evaporation, replaced by rivers and rain, as well as elements being leached from sand, dead coral and rock, as well as elements being brought in from rivers is natures way of doing her own water changes. Rain isn't just a top off action, it also brings trace elements along with it...it also causes trace elements to be removed from soil, which runs into the ocean.

i have a 40 something gallon system, and ive dont 3 or 4 water changes back 2 back at times.

most of the time i do just shy of 5 gallons (usely every 2-4 days)

depending on how the tank looks

if you salt is the same, and your temp is the same, you can change as much as you want

Water changes replace trace elements that get used up over time.

Overtime toxins can build up things can get out of balance and W.C. are the best easiest fastest way to straighten things out.

That being said I have not kept up with mine and am now having nitrate problems even with a refegium and having vacumed a deep sand bed heavily.

I have about 60 gallons ready warming up now for a W.C. in my 180 :)

If you keep soft corals or lps they can handle more nitrates than say acro's .

Skimmers take out the heaviest things that could have some beneficial bacteria as well with it so I use a skimmer and belive in W.C. as helping to replentish and balance out the trace elements.

My reason to not want to do a W.C. is simply space. My tank is in my family room it's a 180 and I only have so much room for all of the equipment and water containers (I thought I had plenty of room and now it's getting crowded :-O)

One other thing I can look up if any one is interested.I found a link talking about how the ocean has places were there is sulphur in the floorbed and denitrification takes place naturally. Thats one reason way of looking at a denitrification reactor with sulphur beads and crushed coral seem's like a good idea to me .

I should have a working model around the years end :)
Paul

i really like sulpher media based nitrate reactors, they are awesome for sps, but like anything else, if you mess it up it could cause some serious disasters.
i seem to recall barry's from kahuna toasted several hundreds of dollars in corals because some lookiloo moved the setting on one knob on the reactor, very tempermental...but the same could be said of a calcium reactor...

i really like sulpher media based nitrate reactors, they are awesome for sps, but like anything else, if you mess it up it could cause some serious disasters.
i seem to recall barry's from kahuna toasted several hundreds of dollars in corals because some lookiloo moved the setting on one knob on the reactor, very tempermental...but the same could be said of a calcium reactor...

I'm really interested in the Koralin. Seems it also has calcium carbonate that disolves much like a calcium reactor. Anyone seen one in action?

Don

I think this one was rated better by some people on r.c. and were using one !!!

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...Product_Code=MA-SD715&Category_Code=denitrate

They also have one that sells for a hundred bucks less just without the CC. From what I can tell it really doesnt use up the cc and its not really helping with low ph. Might be worth looking at if you already have a carx. Wouldnt be to hard to get the denitrifier effluent into the carx then into the skimmer intake.

Don

very interesting do you have anymore info on sulpher media based nitrate reactor?

Cyano Bacteria. It's a bacteria that resembles an algae. Usually dusty red in color and can quickly cover your sand and rock in a slimy sheet. It can also smother corals and slow the growth of encrusting coraline algaes. From what I understand, the best ways to combat it are with strong water circulation and regular water changes, using good quality water....RO being the best of course. I've had Cyano in one of my tanks and it's a headache to get rid of once you've got it. I was able to succesfully rid my tank of it with the addition of another powerhead aimed at the troublesome area.

Cyano Bacteria. It's a bacteria that resembles an algae. Usually dusty red in color and can quickly cover your sand and rock in a slimy sheet. It can also smother corals and slow the growth of encrusting coraline algaes. From what I understand, the best ways to combat it are with strong water circulation and regular water changes, using good quality water....RO being the best of course. I've had Cyano in one of my tanks and it's a headache to get rid of once you've got it. I was able to succesfully rid my tank of it with the addition of another powerhead aimed at the troublesome area.

Thanks it sounds like red slime algae sort of. I hope I dont run into this one.:)

ill glady trade you Cyano for my Bryopsis......... straight and even trade??

:oops: I'm still not clear exactly on what Bryopsis looks like or is. Could you go over it one more time? Please?
Sorry this is off the topic. I think water changes make happy campers. I know "fresh" is better when it comes to my drinking water.

Last edited:
red slime, cryo as i call it.... but its red and bad

i had my far share of it... it came and left in about 2-3 months......

Bryopsis hypnoides is what, came after the algae, that was inbetween when i have now, and the red slime...

(could i have said that any harder?)

the red slime was my first algae to attack my system after setup
(who ever it was who said it comes in cycles was right)
after the cyano out brake i had some small things trying to grow... but right around that time i started to get what i have now....

i was inply'n that your algea, unlike mine will be pritty eazy to fight off...
reduced feeding, water changes added flow (stirring and sucking it out) will get rid of it pritty quick.

my algae is dieing off finely but at the cost of 3 buckets of salt...

what i recommend you do,

is a series of water changes, also stirring and sucking it out when doing the WC

get in a feeding reteen.. its fun to feed, almost every single one of us has over feed at one time or another. it can be done with out even knowing your doing it.
pick a time that works for you, feed the same small amount (or whats required for you fish) at the same time, for the same length. you will notice that your fish will know when its feeding time..

i dont know, give it a try

Back