Bahamian Profiles of reefs, rocks and puddles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beautiful pictures dood !!!
what's a sand dollar? is it an invert? coral? what is it dood? this is the first time i see one.

Something(LOL) I know they grow. This one is almost round and not flat like the regular sand dollars that look like a flat shell. There cool:)

Wonderful pictures - very cool.

Sand dollars live in Puget Sound too. If you go to Dash Point State Park here in Federal Way when we have one of those record low tides you can see thousands of them. The ones we have here are flatter disks and the live ones are covered with a dark purplish "fur". They have a small hole in the bottom center for a mouth and hundreds of small tentacles that sweep food to the mouth.

Sand dollars live in Puget Sound too. If you go to Dash Point State Park here in Federal Way when we have one of those record low tides you can see thousands of them. The ones we have here are flatter disks and the live ones are covered with a dark purplish "fur". They have a small hole in the bottom center for a mouth and hundreds of small tentacles that sweep food to the mouth.

really? i didn't know we had them here.
do you think i can throw one in my tank?

they don't seem to do well in tanks. Hubby had a couple for awhile but I think they only lived a few months. They spent most of their time under the sand where we couldn't even see them.

they don't seem to do well in tanks. Hubby had a couple for awhile but I think they only lived a few months. They spent most of their time under the sand where we couldn't even see them.

ohh :(, well i guess no wonder i have never seen them at the lfs.
They are really really cute

Wonderful pictures - very cool.

That's cool Vicky! I figure Gabby will go dive up one(LOL) Gabby, just go bb and you can see it all the time:)

Actually the "sea biscuit" is similar to the sand dollar and for whatever reason wen it is alive we call it a sea beaver (candians no comments please LOL) When it is alive it is covered in short very sharp spines. Like the sand dollar it burrows under the sand. I fond a live one right where Krish tok pictures today when I was harvesting thalasia or I should say i found me ouch! I have it in my tank now it is a great sand sifter but I think it probably eats alot of good stuff

Sand dollar, sea-biscuit, conch slop, sea-weed...All the same(LOL) I may go again for an hour tomorrow to take some more pics. Tide was extremely low today. I left before it was at its lowest point, and it was still lower than the times I had been out there when it was at it's lowest point...Got that?:confused:

So the ocean was empty today. LOL
Sand dollars are urchins if I rember right.
Thanks for the cool pics man.

LOL...No problem. This thread is so gonna take off when the water warms up. I'm dying to shoot some of the real stuff. I want to add photos of reefs, fish we catch (big game fish, crawfish, other fish we eat:) etc) and I also think it would be cool to show photos of how you clean certain fish like, a "queen triggerfish", how you gut and twist a crawfish, take a conch out of the shell and clean it etc...Should get very interesting:)

I got it! Still feelin lousy with this flu though. I may tag along call me in the mornig to see how I feel. Hmmm... tides real low wasn't full moon three days ago.

Thank you Steve for the info :) i didn't know they were some type of sea urching like i said they are really cute and they remind me, some mexican pastry :p .

LOL...No problem. This thread is so gonna take off when the water warms up. I'm dying to shoot some of the real stuff. I want to add photos of reefs, fish we catch (big game fish, crawfish, other fish we eat etc) and I also think it would be cool to show photos of how you clean certain fish like, a "queen triggerfish", how you gut and twist a crawfish, take a conch out of the shell and clean it etc...Should get very interesting

dood i don't wanna know how you clean a queen triggerfish or how you gut and twist... don't you know that i'm pregnant dood, besides you just made me remember the movie i saw last night saw 2 :shock:

I got it! Still feelin lousy with this flu though. I may tag along call me in the mornig to see how I feel. Hmmm... tides real low wasn't full moon three days ago.

Tide was low at 4:55 pm today and I was out there at 2:30 pm and was standing looking in puddles I've never been able to before. A bread truck must have gone around go slow bend too quicly and crashed because there was bread everywhere out there today! I mean loaves upon loaves! If I had some butter and some turkey I could have had a feast:lol:

dood i don't wanna know how you clean a queen triggerfish or how you gut and twist... don't you know that i'm pregnant dood, besides you just made me remember the movie i saw last night saw 2

LOL...You don't want to know how it's done, but you'll be the first one sitting at the table with your knife and fork in your hand waiting for the first serving of cracked conch, minced crawfish, and grouper fingers!:lol:

tides real low wasn't full moon three days ago.
uhh then there was a lot of spawning in that water :lol: .

Tide was low at 4:55 pm today and I was out there at 2:30 pm and was standing looking in puddles I've never been able to before. A br
ead truck must have gone around go slow bend too quicly and crashed because there was bread everywhere out there today! I mean loaves upon loaves! If I had some butter and some turkey I could have had a feast

and you didn't get any bread? you knwo bread is not free every day :lol::lol: .

LOL...You don't want to know how it's done, but you'll be the first one sitting at the table with your knife and fork in your hand waiting for the first serving of cracked conch, minced crawfish, and grouper fingers!

you know you are right i'm the first pig, but i don't like seeing my food swimming around or me getting the guts out of it otherwise i feel guilty for killing it and i won't eat it :p .

LOL...I usually only like to eat it if I caught it. That way I know it is fresh and I know it was cleaned well...:)

And oh, BTW...That bread couldn't be any good. No seagulls were around eating it which is odd...Either it was no good, or they like whole wheat better:)

LOL...I usually only like to eat it if I caught it. That way I know it is fresh and I know it was cleaned well...

yeah that's a good thing, that's why i think guys do it and the girls cook it... unless Christina ...

And oh, BTW...That bread couldn't be any good. No seagulls were around eating it which is odd...Either it was no good, or they like whole wheat better

well may be they had an upset stomach from eating a fish.
one thing that you could do is, go get that bread, put it in little baggies and sell it for 2 bucks .. you could say that it's a home maid bread Bahamian style :p and then whatever you get, you send your donation to the Gabster fundation :D :lol:

Back