Bahamian Profiles of reefs, rocks and puddles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Krish,

Just wondering, what kind of water temperature do you have over there this time of year? I remember you mentioning that it's a bit chilly now...

Hmmm...Well the physical atmosheric temperature is in the 80's most of the time and when a cold front comes through it may dip as low as 60's here, but not for long. Water, I'd say about 70's maybe. I just know it's not like the summer or what I shower in(LOL). This past summer, a few guys came down from Seattle from Starbucks to help out with opening the franchise here and my wife's cousin is actually part owner of Starbucks and is also the cousin we hang out with and go in his yacht. Well, to make a long story short, we took a handful of the guys out one day in the boat and most of them said the water felt like a sauna! And it does get that warm in the summer. So much so, that jumping in the water doesn't really cool you off. So this time of year, I'd say it is relatively cold in comparison. Nothing you can't handle though (LOL)

if u ever go diving in the cold and it wouldnt be as cold as we going diving in 17C to 23C just say to ur self were navy seals and we like it cold and then its not so bad even with out a wetsuit although if i could afford one be differnt matter

LOL! Thanks for the inspiration, Morgan. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I went snorkeling in deep water off the coast of New Zealand, the southern island, absolutely frigid water. We had wet suits on yet only 3 of the 12 of us on the boat could stay in for more than 30 seconds. Cold enough to take your breath away, literally! But we saw a unique species of dolphin (Hector's?), so it was worth the blue lips and numb fingers, toes, etc.

And you're right: swimming in cold water is a matter of mind over matter, but sometimes it's just so darn cold that no amount of 'mind' will matter!

Sounds like the Bahamas won't be that cold though. :)

i gotta tell you dood one time in my ohh so crazy days of i'm gonna do it for the heck of it.
I used to live in Vancouve Canada, the water there is freezing and when i mean freezing is freezing, so after a run of 3 miles i decided to jump into the water (i had swimming suit :p), people gave me the look of is she nuts or what? and i just swam as hard as i could so i wouldn't freeze and after a while it felt like nothing :D, of course i got a cold and high temperature but it was fun :D ... so don't worry and like Dori (nemo movie) says just keep swimming :D

I just got back from taking some more photos. Here is the first set:)

Sea Cow

Sea Egg

Baby Mantis shrimp

Fire or bristle worm (not sure which)

Anemone

And a few more...

Snails

Some sponges and urchins

Broken off frag with coraline and some bubble algae (looks like) on it

Some type of parrot fish trying to hide from me (LOL)

Sargant major and Beau Gregory (if that is how they are spelled) I caught for the photo and then threw them back

Some shots from the shore

MAN! That's amazing! So when can I come visit...?

-Josh-

Anytime!(LOL) I accidentally took the photos with the wrong white balance, that's why they are a little bright. I hope to get some real shots soon of the real stuff this place has to offer! This is just photos of places that come above water at low tide. No place I'd ever go to swim or walk barefoot(LOL) Summer will be the best photos for sure, but I will see what else I can gather up on land for now. :)

Here's 2 more I accidentally missed.

Some sort of coral

I think they call it turtle grass (you'll find conchs in patches of these)

uhhh pretty !!!
and all those snails !! if i was only there :rolleyes: , truts me they'd be in my tank by now :D .
I like the cow thingy, it looks interesting :)

uhh pretty !!!
and all those snails !! if i was only there , truts me they'd be in my tank by now .
I like the cow thingy, it looks interesting

LOL...Andrew has two of those sea cows in his tank. When disturbed, they shoot out a purple colored ink like thingy!

Is that coral you posted hard...? :eek: If so, that's a really cool!!!

Naw it's not hard. Well, I didn't touch it, but some was out of the water and it was laying flat on the rock and the ones in the water swayed...

Great Picks Krish! I was just saying to myself, 'Wow, self, the colors on these pics are great. They look so natural...'

Then I read this:

krish75 said:
Anytime!(LOL) I accidentally took the photos with the wrong white balance, that's why they are a little bright.

Not sure what others think, but I think the colors look very good and accurate! I should admit that I'm a little colorblind, though...;)

And about those snails: Anyone know why snails sometimes get together and hold those snail conferences? I've noticed that they (Turbos) do it in my tank once every couple of months.

It doesn't seem to be related to spawning, as I've seen them do that when alone and spread out. Funny though, the last time they congregated it was just after I added a bunch of hermit crabs. LOL, my friend suggested they were having a meeting about what to do about the new snail-with-claw-and-leg intruders. :evil:

And about those snails: Anyone know why snails sometimes get together and hold those snail conferences? I've noticed that they (Turbos) do it in my tank once every couple of months.

It doesn't seem to be related to spawning, as I've seen them do that when alone and spread out. Funny though, the last time they congregated it was just after I added a bunch of hermit crabs. LOL, my friend suggested they were having a meeting about what to do about the new snail-with-claw-and-leg intruders.

LOL...Not sure. I know sometimes if you flip a rock, they are all bunched up underneath. Maybe they like darkness...

Glad you liked the pictures:) I wished I could have gotten more and wanted to go today, but a "cold front" is moving through which means rainy weather. Hopefully next weekend:)

Krish I used to like you but now you suck...lol lol...jk man. Those pictures are really great. It's really cool that you can walk out and see that stuff. :D

Back