Bahamian Profiles of reefs, rocks and puddles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL...Today stormed and the island was flooded! I guess that's what happens when you put water on top of water(LOL) However, this Friday coming and next Monday are holidays so definately there will be photos. For sure...:)

Hey Krish, im glad its getting to be summer in your area, do you have any plans to get scub cert'd there?

Also, whats your avatar a picture of?

Hey Krish, im glad its getting to be summer in your area, do you have any plans to get scub cert'd there?

Also, whats your avatar a picture of?

Naw...Not interested really in Scuba certification. I rather just free dive and call it a day:) About the avitar, it's of a cool looking clown picture I found surfing the net one day that Ilham id for me. I want one!!:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12087

Here's a small update to the thread. I caught this lion fish here today, which from what I understand, are not supposed to be in our waters, but I'm not totally sure yet. I started up a thread to get some feedback. I also found this brain type coral in about 8ft of water broken off. I was going to keep it and see if by chance it would live seeing it was broken off, but underneath it had some funky looking things I didn't want to chance in my tank especially seeing that I don't have a quarantine tank yet so I left it.

krish mate u got to take a chance with these things this hobby is trial and error maybe i just want to see sum coral in that sweet tank of yours

krish mate u got to take a chance with these things this hobby is trial and error maybe i just want to see sum coral in that sweet tank of yours

ROFL! I'm trying to have a perfect tank :rolleyes: Naw, it had something that looked like jelly fish attached underneath as well as anemone looking things. It also had a hole in the bottom and wasn't sure what was up in there so I didn't want to chance it. If I had a quarantine tank, then yeah, but not in my clean tank:D

Hmmm. I think you did the right thing. :) That coral looks sweet but the other stuff... I guess you could have scraped them off but hey, maybe the next storm will turn something better up.
The lion is not a good sign, they are ranging all the way to New York, you should report this one. Looks like a baby too, which means they are breeding. Maybe the storm blew it over but it seems like the current would have gone the other way.
There are a number of foreign fish now established off the US coast such as the lion, yellow tangs, purple tangs, emperor angels, orbic batfish (See this article about attempts to catch the pair before they bred)
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/InNews/batfish2004.html
They did catch them and put them in a public aquarium...
Check this site out for a list of exotics and it's pretty cool in general... go to this page and scroll down.
http://www.reef.org/exotic/#Gallery
If I lived in Florida I think I would rather catch some of these than release. Who would let a purple tang go?
Kate

Thanks for the reply and links Kate. I will definately be more observant every time I go out now. I've finally gotten in the water and it isn't so bad so I should be able to update this thread weekly now which should be fun! So keep an eye on it each weekend;)

Absolutely amazing thread.

Thanks! I'm very fortunate to live where I live. Too bad I don't have the guts to load up on things I have in my backyard. I guess it is good I am the way I am. Atleast that way, my grandchildren will have something to look at when they get old enough to go diving:)

Your outlook on the reef and its inhabitants is a nice reminder that there are still noble people left in this world. I applaud you and your morals for the reef.

Your outlook on the reef and its inhabitants is a nice reminder that there are still noble people left in this world. I applaud you and your morals for the reef.

Thanks:) And as a result of being this way, I have a tank that full of just live rock and 5 fish!:p

Back