Best LFS in Seattle area?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

(It's not really "Seattle" but...) ReefMystique in Lake Stevens/Everett is also worth a trip.

Will had some great stuff in there on Saturday.
(Not to mention 2 of the BIGGEST mandarins I have ever seen--Moby-Dick Mandarins they were! :eek2: )

Reef Mystique also has a really nice Italian family-style restaurant next door. Bella Luna or something along those lines? That's one of my favorite Friday night dates, drive to ReefMystique and have dinner next door first. :D

Have you been to "A World of Fish" in the twin cities (off an exit near the airport)?. There is nothing like that place around here :p It's incredible. Barrier Reef still beats their SW selections though (which is all that really matters to most of us), as well as customer service.

I second the motion to Reef Mystique. I've gotten some good corals from Wil. It is worth the trip. For corals and fish, the only two stores I do business at are Barrier Reef and Reef Mystique. Until SWC comes down on their prices, I will only buy dry goods there.

My .02

I tried to go to Barrier Reef once but I got all lost and mixed up and backwards and ran out of time and came home.
I wish small towns had more LFS's

Have you been to "A World of Fish" in the twin cities (off an exit near the airport)?. There is nothing like that place around here :p It's incredible. Barrier Reef still beats their SW selections though (which is all that really matters to most of us), as well as customer service.

Actually...I don't know how big of a fan I am of A World of Fish. That is my usual store (although a long drive) for me when I am home. It has an excellent selection, but the prices are out of this world. I couldn't afford anything there if I was trying to keep a tank. But, they do have an excellent selection and very knowledgeable staff.

well come check out barrier, jonathan....we definately give upscales a run for their money, and you dont have to drive 6 hours round trip:)

Rocketman...damn that's good. Yeah I haven't been out to see you guys yet. Unfortunately I can't make that trip by myself so I have to convince someone from around here to go. Maybe Sherman will get motivated and we will come out. I just lost my blue cali tort, the first coral I put in my system about 18 months ago. Once I am done grieving I'll have to find a good replacement as that was my "centerpiece".

DO you guys have a web site up?

Hey Ed! Thanks for the link. The site is really well executed and I see some nice corals on there. Prices are typical of the East Side though, although I do see a few that I would buy. The prices are much lower if I order through Eric, although you never really know what you are going to get (but Eric is very flexible on this issue), and Upscales is on average about 40% less. Not that it's worth driving that far for the savings, as we all are fully aware of our time and transportation costs!

I don't see anything listed under Tropic Marin, but it sure would be nice if someone was carrying TMPCC so I don't have to buy it on the net.

I'll try to get Sherman or Don to go out there with me so we can check it out first-hand.

Actually...I don't know how big of a fan I am of A World of Fish. That is my usual store (although a long drive) for me when I am home. It has an excellent selection, but the prices are out of this world. I couldn't afford anything there if I was trying to keep a tank. But, they do have an excellent selection and very knowledgeable staff.

Yeah, I don't quite remember their prices (I was doing freshwater at that time), but Barrier's got awesome prices. Watch for their upcoming sale at the end of September too. Should be some killer deals there :)

Hey Ed! Thanks for the link. The site is really well executed and I see some nice corals on there. Prices are typical of the East Side though, although I do see a few that I would buy. The prices are much lower if I order through Eric, although you never really know what you are going to get (but Eric is very flexible on this issue), and Upscales is on average about 40% less. Not that it's worth driving that far for the savings, as we all are fully aware of our time and transportation costs!

I don't see anything listed under Tropic Marin, but it sure would be nice if someone was carrying TMPCC so I don't have to buy it on the net.

I'll try to get Sherman or Don to go out there with me so we can check it out first-hand.

We carry Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure. It just hasn't made it to the website yet. Also, we often have frags in the shop for less than the website lists. Hope we see you out soon:)

Well, I just got back from visiting Dang and the Barrier Reef! I was very enthused to check out Dang's system since he has such a great reputation and I was not disappointed in the least. He is a great guy and runs a beautiful reef with fabulous corals. Dang was also very generous with a couple of sweet frags, and that was the icing on the cake. Thanks Dang!

My trip to Barrier Reef was also very rewarding. The guys are very nice and the selection of corals was quite good. Although it is definately more expensive than going to Upscales, I think when you figure in travel time and expense, it may be just about the same.

What I liked most about their shop was the very clean store and spotless tanks. Not one dead or even ill fish to be seen, and only one coral with some STN, and that was due to a battle with another coral. Again the selection was very good with lots of zoanthid colonies, bunches of SPS, etc. and some very nice "specialty" corals like a very large Orange Crush Acan colony that was $200, but IME worth every penny. It was the nicest one I have ever seen. Considering what I paid for a Tyree baby blue mille the size of a nickle, that acan colony was a very good deal.

I picked up some really cool macro that resembles a wide-bladed sea grass, a killer zoanthid colony I cannot even begin to describe, and a couple other SPS that are like milles but not quite the same. No pictures as of yet because although the polyps are out already, I just have them in my QT under T5s and when I take pics, I want them under my 20K lamps. All they need to do is work on their "upselling" as I spend more on a visit to HD than I did to their store! :lol:

Other things I liked about their store is the dry goods was fairly decent, they had at least 6 units of TMPCC on the shelf and were willing to part with some interceptor. Now I don't have to go begging! Considering they have not been in business all that long, I was impressed with what I saw. They package animals in O2 (which is what I do), and it was clear that they have a decent QT protocol.

And pretty soon they will run out of room and need a bigger store...

Jonathon,,thanks for the words is great to have you at my place to day,great visit ,,my turn next ,we will plan a day trip to your place.:)

Anytime Dang. I would love to BS about reef stuff over at my place. Just let me know when is a good time. I could probably set you up with a mini-tank tour over here as well.

Hard to find, worth the effort

One word of advice for people making their first pilgrimage to BR, it's hard to find. Image you timed warped back to the 20's and are looking for a speakeasy...then you'll find the front door. And just like a speakeasy, the door hides the party inside.

Back