Bio Pellet Reactor Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok Pep some stuff I noticed in this weeks torments,lol in regards to the carbon, we need a check valve above the pump, when my power went out some of the carbon drained back into the sump. Also pending on the carbon you use your going to need a sponge like pad by the screen, also the screen we build for mine is fubar (it did hold the screen strong enough and carbon by passed).

On a bright note the fliudization was outstanding, perfect amount and consistant.

Mojo

Mike,
Thanks for the input. We can easily fix the escaping carbon with a filter sponge . And the check valve shouldnt be an issue either.
Glad to hear the flow is working as planned, that was the major design part of this build anyway.
Cant wait to get some pellets tumbling.

We ran several "tests" last night with 2 different reactors and 3 different amounts of bio-pellets. All were fed by a Mag 5 pump with no restrictions.

Here are the videos shot at Daves 2.11.12 of the bio pellet tests:

Reactor #1, 500ml media

Reactor #1, 750ml media

Reactor #1, 1000ml media

Reactor #2, 500ml media

Reactor #2, 750ml media

Reactor #2, 1000ml media

Very cool seeing these in action videos. IMO I think the 1000ml of pellets is a bit to much as the top layer doesn't look as though it is tumbling as well as it should be.

This seriously has me thinking I may do a diy pellet reactor for my new system. :D

Cheers,
Alex

Again, Thanks Eric,

So I was out in the shop this morning running another test. I used a Quiet-One 1200 @ 296gph.
I wasnt able to shoot a video, but I did take a few shots of the reactor.
I was able to get all 1000 ml into the reactor without a bunch of them packed up at the top.
I think the 300ghp is the way to go. 400 gph would also probably work well.
007-6.jpg

The pellets you see at the top are covered with air bubble. I am sure the bubbles will go away after the pump has ran for a while.
BOTTOM
008-5.jpg

009-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

Good separation
011-4.jpg

Near the bottom
012-4.jpg

I think a taller unit is going to be needed for a system over 200gal

What is the height of the reactors? I remember seeing that you guys made both 4" and 6" diameter, but can't remember if you mentioned the height.

Cheers,
Alex

What is the height of the reactors? I remember seeing that you guys made both 4" and 6" diameter, but can't remember if you mentioned the height.

Cheers,
Alex

The 4'' tubes were cut at 15 3/4'' and the 6'' were cut at 17 3/4''. However the 6'' tubes would not tumble 1000ml of pellets even with approx 1000gph pump.

If I were to make another 4'' reactor I would make the tube 18"-20'' tall and up the 1/2'' pvc to 3/4''
I am sure the ones shown would handle a 200 gal total volume system, but if you had a 200gal tank and a 50 or 65gal sump you would need to run aprox 1500ml of pellets. That is why I would make the 4'' tube taller

That is terrible. Prior to doing this I talked with a number of the folks that have these pellets custom made for them. So Jon from Warner Marine, Jullien from two little fishes and Tim from Dr. tims and all of them say that the pellets should only be slowly tumbling. Just enough to stop bacterial biofilm from binding the pellets together. So in looking at that unit I would say its not even close to what you want.

Mojo

I would have to agree with Mike on this.
Out of all the pellet reactors if have researched to do this build, that one seems to be moving the pellets at 5 to 6 times the speed of any of the others.
I really think you want them to tumble, and not smash into one another at a supersonic speed. LOL

Just heard from Mike on the functioning of a 6'' tube for his reactor.
He modded the plumbing to 3/4'' instead of the 1/2'' and got the full 1000 ml of pellets to tumble, And was also able to reduce the flow with the larger plumbing.

If I missed something there Mike please let us know.

Sounds good. It was a really nice build! I'm glad the plans I came up with for you guys to build it worked! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4'' tubes were cut at 15 3/4'' and the 6'' were cut at 17 3/4''. However the 6'' tubes would not tumble 1000ml of pellets even with approx 1000gph pump.

If I were to make another 4'' reactor I would make the tube 18"-20'' tall and up the 1/2'' pvc to 3/4''
I am sure the ones shown would handle a 200 gal total volume system, but if you had a 200gal tank and a 50 or 65gal sump you would need to run aprox 1500ml of pellets. That is why I would make the 4'' tube taller

Good to know Dave. THx for all the great build info and look ofrward to seeing more great builds soon. :D

Cheers,
Alex

once they start getting coated with bacteria they will take up more volume in the reactor and need more flow is what i have found from my follies with them. im needing closer to 500gph for half liter in a TLF reactor which is also about what they recommend on their product info. I also like the TLF NPX brand of pellets better than the cylindrical shaped pellets like pictured. they tend to clump less but im sure different designs will work differently.

once they start getting coated with bacteria they will take up more volume in the reactor and need more flow is what i have found from my follies with them. im needing closer to 500gph for half liter in a TLF reactor which is also about what they recommend on their product info. I also like the TLF NPX brand of pellets better than the cylindrical shaped pellets like pictured. they tend to clump less but im sure different designs will work differently.

Thanks Darth,
Will keep the volume issue in mind. I was wondering about the slim coating effecting the ability to tumble them with pump less than 500ghp

Sounds good. It was a really nice build! I'm glad the plans I came up with for you guys to build it worked! :)

Kirsh,
Your design was a good idea.... but we decided to add pellets and water for the fact that it would work better for us who have a tank up and running. LMAO

I have to add Mike said the pellets would get sticky/slimy I thought they would get slimy/slippery

Kirsh,
Your design was a good idea.... but we decided to add pellets and water for the fact that it would work better for us who have a tank up and running. LMAO

Haha! Yea, I forgot this was for a fish tank. I'm so used to thinking everyone had an ocean in their backyard:D

they get slimy/sticky :) and attract to eachother. im learning now that i shouldve looked through them closer too and gotten out more of the mishaped ones because i have one piece thats like a long strand that keeps getting on the bottom and diverting flow.

Back