Birdsnest Bleaching

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Robcropper

I just recently purchased a large Birdsnest (Hystix Type) & within the day and a half I'd had it its turned about 30% white. All of my other Sps is fine, even another birdsnest right next to it is fine also. It was originally being kept about 4 inches under the surface with 400watt mh. It looked extremely healthy in his tank. I run 4x54watt t5's on my tank. I slowly acclimated it, and put it on the bottom of the tank. It gets moderate flow on it but not getting pounded. What should I do here? Is the bleaching mean that section is dead, or is there something i can do to help it stabilize and regain its strength? Or is this a tell tale sign that its a goner? There is no polyp extension also. I can see the polyps on the unbleached sections, but there not out. Any help is appreciated?

Isuggest that you put it back to the bottom.... It needs time to adjust on your lighting. care to tell us what t5 bulbs you are using. also if possible to share a pic of it would be awesome.

Ok. As for the T5's they are 2 coralvue actinics and 2 6500k stock bulbs. Marineland deluxe HO T5 fixture. As for pics here you go.

The good:

PICT0099-1.jpg

PICT0096.jpg

PICT0084-3.jpg

PICT0075-3.jpg

PICT0079.jpg

The Bad:

PICT0098.jpg

PICT0092-2.jpg

PICT0087.jpg

Some of the fuzz is from the newspaper that was shipped over it. Considering it has really sharp points.Thanks for the help

I think those are not bleaching.... If somebody can chime in... im definite that its not bleaching... looks like RTN... change of water chemistry? acclimitation issues?

TN for sure.. In my opinion, I'd frag off the good parts and scatter around the tank and throw away the bad. You'll want to cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch up from the bad, otherwise it is likely that the TN will continue. sorry....:cry:

Ben

Hello,
Sorry for the late reply. I have been out of town. Rapid Tissue Recession (RTN) is often caused by shipping shock especially on wild colonies. Most often quick fragging of the dead areas is the only way to save the coral.

Regards,
Kevin

Back