Box Jellyfish...Most venomous!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey...Is anyone here from Australia? If not it's probably because of where you live!(LOL) What in the world do you guys have going on down there? I just googled most venomous creatures and they showed the the sea snake which is deadly poisonous and guess where they are found???Hmmmm...Australia which has about 21 different species, and around the Great Barrier Reef, 14 species!

Gabby, Gabby, Gabby, Chris wants to know if anyone got stung before not if you got stunk or stink or whatever! (LOL)

LOL!!! ohh man you are killing me :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry dood i meant stung.. oh boy my belly hurts :lol:

i think the green sea snake is the nastiest. but they aren't aggressive at all.you really have to provoke them to get bitten

krish75 said:
Who would want to provoke a snake? They should get bitten IMO (LOL)

whats that guys name? you know the crock hunter.he would :p

he's from Australia also. i'm beginning to think something is wrong with that place :lol:

Yup...Crocodile Dundee was from there too! I still can't get over that Box Jelly fish though. I mean, if I didn't watch that program last night I would have never known something like that could be so lethal. It would have sucked to pay all that money to go there and find that out afterwards!

or centuries members of the Conidae family have been collected for their unique and intricately designed shells. Only during the last few decades have Cone shells become an exciting area for scientific research.

Cone shells are marine snails and are found in reef environments throughout the world. They prey upon other marine organisms, immobilising them with unique venoms. There have been 30 recorded cases of human envenomation by fish-eating cone shells, in some cases fatal. Upon investigation it was found that the toxins in cone shell venoms possess pharmacological qualities that make them valuable tools in medical research.

Members of the Conidae family do not predate upon humans but will sting if disturbed. It is best to avoid contact with the cone shells completely, and collection of live specimens requires a permit.
If stung by a cone shell, obtain medical attention immediately (making note of a description of the cone shell if possible). If medical attention is unavailable and the victim becomes unconscious, observe their breathing constantly and apply assisted and artificial respiration when required until assistance can be found. In this way it may be possible to keep the victim alive while the body metabolises the conotoxins.

Conus textile on the prowl

Click on image above for larger display

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hall Of Fame

HMS Beagle's "Web Pick of the Day", October 12 (1998)
Sofcom Pick of the Net Award
Nominated for IndNet Best Contents Award (June,1998)
SciWeb - "Site of the Week", January 18 (1999)
Encarta Encyclopedia 1999 - referenced web link, January (1999)
Science 2000 - Net Link, SITE VISIT: "When Snails Attack" Science 288: 2279d, June (2000)
7MetaSearch.com rewarding TOP 10 awards to web sites appearing simultaneuously in the top 10 positions of all top-rated search engines, December (2001)
Scientific American 2005 , (April). "A Toxin Against Pain" by Gary Stix. This web page cited as "A prodigious resource for all things cone snail".

Credits:
Charmaine Griffiths (Placement student, University of Bath, UK) and
Dr. Bruce Livett (Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Univ. of Melbourne, Australia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-[What's New]- -[About Cone Shells]- -[More Information]- -[Resources]- -[Contact Us]-

LarryB said:
So Australia has the deadliest Jellyfish, 9 of the 10 most poisonous snakes, deadliest spider (funnel web), don't blue ring octopi come from around there too? Not to mention the crocodiles and the great whites? If I lived there I would never leave the house!
And the only venomous mammal in the world, anybody know that is?

Yeah, it is a--oh brother--my mind would go blank. It lays eggs like a bird or reptile, but nurses its young like a mammel. Initially thought to be a hoax animal by naturalists.

Anne

krish75 said:
You guys are sick! Just come visit me in the Bahamas and lets swim in water with temperatures that soup is usually served at! You can take the fish out of the ocean and just eat them...Already cooked!(LOL)

It is my dream for my children to be able to do just that. But due to money going out for health reasons, I think they will have settle for whatever pitiful replica I can come up with.

Anne

Irukandji jellyfish is the crazy little deadly sucker in australia. the egg laying mammal is the platypus.

krish75 said:
Hey...Is anyone here from Australia? If not it's probably because of where you live!(LOL) What in the world do you guys have going on down there? I just googled most venomous creatures and they showed the the sea snake which is deadly poisonous and guess where they are found???Hmmmm...Australia which has about 21 different species, and around the Great Barrier Reef, 14 species!
Hey, don't forget they also have one of, if not two of, the world's cutest marsupials. The Koala and the 'roo. The Koala, if my memory serves me correctly, is on the endangered list and there are some species of 'roos that are on it as well.

I think I have seen just about every documentary done on those two species and I still can't get tired of them (although my husband has threatened me within an inch of my life if he has to watch "A Joey Named Jack" again--for about the 200-300th time :eek:) ).

Anne

Back