Brightwell's powder Mag

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

I made their stock solution in a 32oz bottle. The instructions say that 1ml of the solution will raise the MG in 1us gallon by 6ppm. My display tanks MG content is 1,100ppm. I wanted to raise it to 1,200ppm in my 100gal tank. By my calculations that's 1,700ml of stock solution. I have a feeling I've made a big miss calculation, so I haven't dosed the MG. Any ideas?

1,667mL actually. :D But yea, 1700 or 1667, which ever way you want to round, and 56.4oz of the solution.

Last edited:
I used the Brightwell Mag-P and so far I am not too impressed by it. I used a ton of it and was very slow to raise anything.

I am impressed with Kent M-Tech. Once I got it raised to where I wanted it a friend told me to use NeoMag by BrightWell to help maintain it. They also had me change my normal Kalk (from bulkreefsupply) to Kalk+2 also by BrightWell.

So far I love the results

Its not really feasable to increase Mg with any chemical additive in large amounts like your trying to do. Do some water changes and the benefit will be two fold, cleaner water and added mg. Dont forget to balance your water change water. If you use IO or other SLIGHTLY low Mg salt, that is what the additives are for.

Don

I agree with DonW, last few batches of Reef Crystals have been up at 1350 for mag 450 for ca and 9.0 to 11.2 for dkH.

So might was well get clean water while you raise your levels.

Ok, that makes sense. I've been using Brightwells neomag salt, and all of there additives cal,mg,alk. When I test the new water I get low readings 350ca, 900-1100mg, so I end up dosing the stock water more than the tank. I also have a bucket of reef crystals that I haven't used. I heard that when using reef crystals, that some test kits won't work properly is that true?

I have never had a problem with testing RC. Just make sure you mix the water / salt for 8 to 12 hours. I like making water during the day and adding salt in the evening. When I wake up it is ready to go.

I'm sorry to say, but the problems I was having wasn't with the MG or the salt, but I was testing wrong. My numbers are solid now that I'm using the test kits with more accuracy. I've also put dosing on hold and stepped up the water changes to about 35% a week, and have seen a big improvement with the minerals and tank health.

I use Brightwell Mag-P and don't follow the directions because like u I think there is a typo there. I dose 1/2 TSP of powder for my 40Breeder and it raises the Mag at least 75PPM. I use the Elos Mg kit to test.

I use Brightwell Mag-P and don't follow the directions because like u I think there is a typo there. I dose 1/2 TSP of powder for my 40Breeder and it raises the Mag at least 75PPM. I use the Elos Mg kit to test.

What?? A half teaspoon of Mag powder increases your levels by 75ppm in a 40 gal tank?? That can't be right at all...not at all.

Back