Bryopsis only thread

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think it will be less than weeks. If you could see it in person, it looks a lot more dramatic than the pics show.

I raised the Magnesium in my tank as well. I didn't have it really bad but bad enough. I will let you know how it goes as well.

Day 4:

bryopsis4.jpg

I'm regretting picking this spot to document the bryopsis die off because the zoanthids under it are green. This makes it hard to tell that the bryopsis is dying, as it still looks very green on the rock, but it's a good green now (zoanthids).

This was a great idea thanks for documenting this. The tips of some of the longer strands of bryopsis has turned white in my tank after raising the mag. Would you say that it is about 50% gone already?

im not gonna be so quick to jump on the mag wagon, (cause ive sin it look all dead, and then pop right back)

but if you get it all to dissaper, and stay that way... you might be a genius....

what did you use ageain to raise you mag?

im not gonna be so quick to jump on the mag wagon, (cause ive sin it look all dead, and then pop right back)

but if you get it all to dissaper, and stay that way... you might be a genius....

what did you use ageain to raise you mag?

Genius? All I did was take Mojo's advice :). If anyone's the genius, it's him (or whoever he got the idea from).

I used Kent Tech M to boost the magnesium. It took quite a bit of it, too. To raise a 55g tank from 1100 to 1680 (higher than I meant to go) it took about 80% of a 64oz bottle. Luckily Tech M isn't all that expensive. I think it was around $15 for that bottle through Marine Depot. Since reefs don't use up magnesium very fast, I don't anticipate having to buy that much of it to keep it above 1500. I just wish Instant Ocean had higher magnesium content. Maybe I should switch to some salt that has higher mag. Does Reef Crystals have higher mag?

To help the mag in my case, I bought some Zeomag to put in the calcium reactor. This is basically dolomite and it is supposed to help maintain mag levels. You make it about 10 - 15% of your media in your reactor.

Well its true, a higher Mag level seems to kill this stuff off.

I had it bad in my nano. Almost completely covered a 6" flat rock with about 10 different zoanthid colonies on it.
Well I looked in there today and what do you know, the bryopsis is completely clear, on every rock in there.

The only thing I am seeing is that it is not doing much to the hair algae. I will see what it does to it. Might take longer for hail algae.
I would show you a pic of it but my camera made Friends with a mud puddle earlier this week.

So long, bryopsis. From hell's heart I stab at thee.

Thursday pic:

bryopsis5.jpg

Here's a pic of my chaeto, as you can see it's doing fine.

chaeto.jpg

Amazed....

Ok so what I don't get is that it doesn't seem to affect other algaes yet.
But isn't bryopsis an algae like hair or colupras (sp) ??
Doesn't all algaes use mag?

Well its true, a higher Mag level seems to kill this stuff off.

I had it bad in my nano. Almost completely covered a 6" flat rock with about 10 different zoanthid colonies on it.
Well I looked in there today and what do you know, the bryopsis is completely clear, on every rock in there.

The only thing I am seeing is that it is not doing much to the hair algae. I will see what it does to it. Might take longer for hail algae.
I would show you a pic of it but my camera made Friends with a mud puddle earlier this week.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I am being patient and we will see how it goes.

excellent!!!!!, I will invest in a small bottle of Mag....... whats that brand ageain..

tech m?

my mags at like 1350 now... so i wont need much... Ill get something this weekend.....

Day 6:

bryopsis6.jpg

I think this will be the last pic I post. It's obvious at this point that an overdose of magnesium will kill bryopsis.

To recap, in just 5 days, this rock went from this:

bryopsis.jpg

To this:

bryopsis6.jpg

And all I did was boost magnesium from 1100 to 1680.

twallace...thats SWEET!!! Im very glad to see your success story, and how relatively easy it was to achieve.

I wish i would have been enlightened when i was struggling with the stuff.

I am curious though, do you have very many (or any) sps in this tank??? I ask because I have heard that raising the mag that fast in a sps tank could be pretty harmful.

Back