Building a custom Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bkenn77

I visited the local plastic store today to buy some weld-on and I noticed that they had sheets of acrylic stacked high. So the wheels started turning in my head. I would like a bigger tank but can't spend a lot of money, what if I was to build my own. I'm thinking 6ft-2ft-2ft - 180g. The store quoted about $500 for the plastic. I realize the welds must be waterproof (180g on the floor is not good :). I told the guy at the store what I was going to use it for and he said the edges would have to be run through a joiner as the joint must be perfect. As in water tight. So my question is how hard is this to do? After reading the posts on this sight I know there are a lot of people with the inventive (mickeymouse) type spirit. Any feedback on this project would be appreciated. Thx, Brian.

Not sure man...I'd see if maybe Brian (IAPBrian) or Tom (BigT) can give you some feedback on it. They build the stuff for a living and would know best. Best of luck :)

Well my advise would be not to start with a 180 g project. A sump or maybe a quaranteen tank or something to get you started. It would be good to go to that supplier and get a bunch of 'rems' and practice your joinery on those. It takes some time to get it right. You can do the jointing on a table mounted router if you don't have a jointer and don't want to spend the money for one.

So once you go to build your project make sure that you are getting a high quality plastic such as; acrylite gp (best) chemcast gp? (better) plexiglas g (good) or as a last resort acracast. I actually would not recommend acracast it pretty much sucks. Search for the 'pins method' by zephrant over on RC and he explains very nicely how to join acrylic. There is also a very good thread from acrylics over there about building a cube. There is also a mile long thread over there called 'acrylic questions? I can help' by acrylicman. These threads are all in the diy section. If you have any specific questions please ask, and I will do my best. I don't do this for a living as krish suggests, but just for kicks when I am in the mood.

Well my 2 cents. I have built Tanks of all Glass. Plywood and Acrylic. However with the cost of Cast acrylic these days through retail outlets its almost a s cheap to buy a already done one from a manufactorer. As 180 here I know goes for 715 with overflows. By the time they cut your pieces and join them they charge you for and the weldon products glue your joints, your looking at about the same money. So I not longer do the acrylic units.

Thanks for the input. I've have learned so much from ya'll. This sight rocks! Reefdaddy, where can you get a 180g for $715.00 ? I'm thinking of holding out for used tank. I'm poor. LOL.

(better) plexiglas g

Tom I hate to hi jack bkenn77 ( Brian's) Thread But I had a question I have been rat holing a bunch of plexiglas g I have been thinking of a 96" long by 25" deep by 36" wide tank. Will plexiglas g handel the task? Thanks for any advice & help...Jeff

Thanks Brian for starting the thread..;)

big t said:
Well my advise would be not to start with a 180 g project. A sump or maybe a quaranteen tank or something to get you started. It would be good to go to that supplier and get a bunch of 'rems' and practice your joinery on those. It takes some time to get it right. You can do the jointing on a table mounted router if you don't have a jointer and don't want to spend the money for one.

So once you go to build your project make sure that you are getting a high quality plastic such as; acrylite gp (best) chemcast gp? (better) plexiglas g (good) or as a last resort acracast. I actually would not recommend acracast it pretty much sucks. Search for the 'pins method' by zephrant over on RC and he explains very nicely how to join acrylic. There is also a very good thread from acrylics over there about building a cube. There is also a mile long thread over there called 'acrylic questions? I can help' by acrylicman. These threads are all in the diy section. If you have any specific questions please ask, and I will do my best. I don't do this for a living as krish suggests, but just for kicks when I am in the mood.

Yes, plex g is good plastic. Now the real question is what thickness is it? If it is 3/4" then you are good to go no question, but some would build it with 1/2". As a novice I would not go with less then 3/4" for a tank of that size. I Think Les built a tank about that size with 1/2" but he used extra material in the joints to beef them up. Good luck.

Have you made your own tanks before?

No Brian I have not. But i am thinking of building one I think Mojo & Mike need to tap a diy guy and have Work shop started on this Big Tom are ya listing
:D

bkenn77 said:
No prob Jeff. Have you made your own tanks before? What size?

3/4"

Sitting on 2 each 4 X 8 sheets of 3/4" plex g
I hope to get one more in the next few months.:D

big t said:
Yes, plex g is good plastic. Now the real question is what thickness is it? If it is 3/4" then you are good to go no question, but some would build it with 1/2". As a novice I would not go with less then 3/4" for a tank of that size. I Think Les built a tank about that size with 1/2" but he used extra material in the joints to beef them up. Good luck.

Back