Calcium Inhibits Coral Growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Actually I think that would be mighty cool. If you can add the lon/lat of the testing area so we can see it on a map.

Don

Not a problem man...I still have to put in my order for a whole new set of new test kits as I have just been slacking off on it a bit until I get some rock in my tank. I figured no sense having a bunch of kits just sitting around if my tank isn't up and running yet.

How much variances is there from different coral reefs throughout the world? Temp. sg, ca etc?

Thier can be an amount of variance Scooty, but to list them would take up a few pages. I think that in order to find what the so called norm would be, would be to take a location where most corals come from. So basicall the Indo pacific? So in around 35ppt (1.025) calcium around 390 to 415, mg 1290, ALK 7-8 dkh, ph 8-8.4 and temp anywhere from 77 to 80??

Mojo

Here's a link that shows a map about 1/4 to 1/2 way down that shows the SG around the world varies between 32ppt and 40ppt and this is relative to the temperature of the seawater.

Composition of seawater

Very interesting reading, if anyone is interested.

"The world map shows how the salinity of the oceans changes slightly from around 32ppt (3.2%) to 40ppt (4.0%). Low salinity is found in cold seas, particularly during the summer season when ice melts. High salinity is found in the ocean 'deserts' in a band coinciding with the continental deserts. Due to cool dry air descending and warming up, these desert zones have very little rainfall, and high evaporation. The Red Sea located in the desert region but almost completely closed, shows the highest salinity of all (40ppt) but the Mediterranean Sea follows as a close second (38ppt). Lowest salinity is found in the upper reaches of the Baltic Sea (0.5%). The Dead Sea is 24% saline, containing mainly magnesium chloride MgCl2. Shallow coastal areas are 2.6-3.0% saline and estuaries 0-3%."

I believe there is to some degree quite a bit. Our waters here in the Puget Sound Region do not have as high of a SG as the Carribean. Also the waters all around the world have varying temeratures, SG and I assume would also have differing other values.

Then how do you accommodate corals from all over the world in one tank? Especially if you have corals with a big variance?

Then how do you accommodate corals from all over the world in one tank? Especially if you have corals with a big variance?

Obviously your not going to keep cold water species in warm water but wam water to warm water just need aclimation. Also keep in mind that the variations at one point in time were not as bad as they are today. The numbers of today are obviously not optimum.

Don

This is one thing I personally don't believe in doing...Mix matching corals. I've seen many tanks containing corals from different parts of the world. When I had my 38 gal cube, all of the corals I had came from the same place (the caribbean). I looks more realistic IMO and also, you know that they all require the exact same thing.

Obviously your not going to keep cold water species in warm water but wam water to warm water just need aclimation. Also keep in mind that the variations at one point in time were not as bad as they are today. The numbers of today are obviously not optimum.

Don

So what is actually the biggest issues in the wild compared to what we keep in a tank? As far as growth? If nature isn't optimal then what is? Do we need a "Way-Back-Machine"?

Most likely they would do a drip acclimation for any corals that would go into say one system. And most of the waters do not have a big variance. Other than that most Wholesale distributors of corals from the Indo-Pacific don't really care and it is up to the mainland store or distribution to deal with SG and the other parameters.

Looking at the map that I made reference to, you can see that the Indo-Pacific has a variable SG between 32-35ppt while the Australian and New zealand areas are a straight up 35ppt.

So in theory only a small variance between where most of our corals come from that we place in our care. And if you look at the map, the variance from Alaska waters is 32ppt to a 36ppt in the Carribean waters. Now if you look at the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea their around 38ppt.

All in all just food for thought.

So what is actually the biggest issues in the wild compared to what we keep in a tank? As far as growth? If nature isn't optimal then what is? Do we need a "Way-Back-Machine"?

Obviously its not going to happen in our lifetime at least mine anyways. But you can bet your a$$ that eventually the only reefs left will be in glass boxes. So yes setting your water parameters to match that of a declining reef of today would not be all that bright. If you set it to what they were or how nature intended without human intervention your going to be better off. Boomer is older than a reef maybe he can chime in with what the number used to be. :)

Don

Don is correct. Cosidering the rapid decline of our ocean reefs today, our grandchildren will most likely be learning about a lot of the earths coral reefs from books or the aquariums that some will continue to keep.

Sorry to get off subject but not only is the co2 pollution causing our oceans reefs to diminish, it is also things such as over-harvesting and algae growth. Algae is starting to take over some of the most beautiful reefs that we once knew and loved. Causing the corals such as SPS to suffocate and die.

Sorry, back to the subject at hand.

please forgive my ignorance in advance... im a skimmer/pump guy,
venturing out of my known territory...

so just to verify the stupidity of my semi-retarded undertanding of dosing....
(before i read this article) i belived that ALK was the most important thing,
and that the ALK wont be stable unless the MAG is where it's suppose to be,
now, the PH is buffed(up or down) with the ALK and on one end of the "seesaw",
while MAG and CAL are on the other end of the seesaw,
when one side goes up, the other goes down,
and that you want the seesaw to balance in the middle...
it was my understanding that the CAL level isnt as important
as long as it was somewhere between 350-500,
and that it was the level of ALK that determins where tha CAL should be exactly.

and isnt there an ionic balance... meaning that if your MAG and ALK are X,
then your CAL, and PH should be X?? and that you can look it up exactly??

did i get it right? or do i have teh FAIL...

(waiting for the MOJO fail missile... :) )

It is not fare to write all this **** before I had a chance to reply to Mojo's last reply to me. Now I will a have to write a flipp'in dissertation :( :D :lol:

It is not fare to write all this **** before I had a chance to reply to Mojo's last reply to me. Now I will a have to write a flipp'in dissertation :( :D :lol:

OK..... were waiting. Some of us more patiently than others :razz::D:razz:

Todd

Don is correct. Cosidering the rapid decline of our ocean reefs today, our grandchildren will most likely be learning about a lot of the earths coral reefs from books or the aquariums that some will continue to keep.

Sorry to get off subject but not only is the co2 pollution causing our oceans reefs to diminish, it is also things such as over-harvesting and algae growth. Algae is starting to take over some of the most beautiful reefs that we once knew and loved. Causing the corals such as SPS to suffocate and die.

Sorry, back to the subject at hand.

Obviously its not going to happen in our lifetime at least mine anyways. But you can bet your a$$ that eventually the only reefs left will be in glass boxes. So yes setting your water parameters to match that of a declining reef of today would not be all that bright. If you set it to what they were or how nature intended without human intervention your going to be better off. Boomer is older than a reef maybe he can chime in with what the number used to be. :)

Don

actually.... scientists who have studied ice core samples will tell you that natural cyclic levels of Co2 were at their highest before mankind's pollution was a consideration, and that the levels now still arent near the highest they've been.
also, it is a fact that all the corals in the ocean today have evoled from only 3 different types into the many thousands there are today... so at some point, or at many points, the earth has killed off all but a few corals, and they have had to re-inhabit and mutate/evolve into amounts and types now known. this probably has occured over and over again in earth's history, i suspect.
sorry, dont want to derail, granted, Co2 is an important topic that effects coral reefs/ocean environment, and it merrits it's own thread.

and again, as has been proven by fact, im just a skimmer dude... what the hell do i know...:confused::rolleyes::idea:

Last edited:
Skimmerwhisperer, I think that's a very pertinent observation. If I'm not mistaken our current global temperatures are relatively mild, and have been for most of our species' existence, considering the history of the earth. I have no doubt that we are having an effect on our climate, but I find it a bit naive to think that just because we humans are now recording weather data, that everything should stay the same lest it be our fault. I think, quite honestly, that direct pollution (i.e. Excess land development, wastewater runoff, and fertilizer/pesticide over use) is more accurately the "detrimental" human effect.

Rofl ok I see this thread has taken a U turn here as has morphed into a element and pollution thread,:D;)
The only good thing is it is confusing Boomer as he doesnt know which post to answer first, lol:p Like a book buddy, hehe

OK Skimmer/pump guy, lol yes their is a relationship between most elements and then a relationship between all elements and salinity. I terms of water chemistry and balance flux in alk and cal and mg occur, what I am saying is that our corals are configured to operate under a set of parameters. Each element will have an effect, the effect of high level of calcium is that the coral has to work and thus take energy away from it finite budget for the sake of a small amount of skelital growth. As an example, if you stress out a coral, say by putting it next to a nasty coral and it has to defend itself by sliming or goes on the offencive, it does so by robbing from its energy budget in order to pay for the energy needed for that defence. SOOOoo if we are making sure we dont do that to the coral, why are we overloading it with a substance it needs to remove??

spllbnd2
I replied to your post?? shoot me some love back will ya??

lol

Mojo

♦Nah, Mojo not confused at all, just allot of **** to deal with :)

I feel a Boomer tsunami coming on so I am going to grab my rain gear.

More like a wave from the Gail's of November on Lake Superior :D

So as Sid mentioned for lack of a better word, a dump.
Yes, it is a toilet just like it is in many carbonate organisms

Because what we only see is the overall growth we are seeing both tissue (coral) and skelital (dump) growth.

In the real world of coral studies coral growth is the growth of the coal as a function of its total mass i.e, how many llbs / month or extensional growth.

BUT at which relationship?? 75% growth acceleration of skeliton?? and only 25% excelleration in tissue??

I have never seen such data on soft tissue growth of x mass / cm^ 2 vs high rate of growth of x mass /c m^2. I'm one that wants to see data and or measurements

and old fart once told me its kind of like humans and steroids?? you take the steroids and you grow like crazy

Yes, I that guy was me :D

I have no issue buying into exceeding an energy budge there are some examples below. I want to see data that at x Ca++ ppm it is an issue. You have to remember that in geologic times for the last few hundred million yeas there have been coral reefs and higher and lower Ca++ than now. You know for FACT I do not buy into this high Ca++, not as a energy budget issue but as and issue it is not needed as corals do not grow any faster or any noticeably difference. The case, for the most part for reefers, is down right laziness and cheapness. "I want my salt to have like 450 ppm or high so I do not have to add additives", STICK it. You want them flip' corals so bad and when told to do it right you piss whine about it. " That means I have to buy supplements"......STICK it. So, you let that Ca++ go up and down like a see-saw. Mojo likes to talk about the Calcium pump and now it is going up and down like a flipp'in Yo-Yo. Think outside the box here. Do you eat like that ? That calcium pump is not like a heart.

Examples of excessive use of energy budget.

A good example is Shrimp and the misunderstood claim we need to add Iodine as they need it for their molt cycle. Shrimp do not take Iodine from the water column but from foods. When you jack up the Iodine level it has to high a gradient which causes excessive amounts of Iodine to diffuse into the shrimp. This in return causes the shrimp to go into excessive molt cycles, which ends up killing them, as they have expended all their energy in molting, which is controlled allot by iodine.

On the same note, Zenia and their pulsating. Lets think out side the box here for a second. How about the reason they pulsate more, when you are adding Iodine, is they DO NOT like it and are increasing the water currents around them by pulsating, so there is LESS Iodine uptake or it is acting as an irritant to them. Zenia usually pulsate for one reason, the water column current is to slow, so they can speed it up by pulsating, take in more food and are able to rid itself of unwanted mucus and waste. You put them in a better current the pulsating usually stops, as it is suppose to, as they do not need it.

More copy paste from other post here on K+

For corals and many other carbonate producers that carbonate skeleton, test, shell, is a dumpster for ions they pick up and do not need and just dump them in the "skeleton". That is why many of these ions are in direct portion to what is found in surrounding column water. Matter of fact, they are so precise that they are used in Paleoclimatolgy and Paleothermometry studies of accident corals and the environments they use to live in. People need to get off this kick of Coral Skeleton and look at the Coral Tissue needs.

Corals really have two growth rates and they are not always equal, Coral growth, as in Skeletal Growth and Coral Growth and is Soft Tissue Growth. Just because a Coral Skeleton has very good growth does not really = Coral Tissue is also at a good Growth. That accelerated Skeletal Growth may produce a thinner soft tissue making it more prone to wave impact, taring it or make the Skeletal Density to low, making the Coral branch more subject to breaking/fragile to debris and wave action energy.

skimerwhisperer

actually.... scientists who have studied ice core samples will tell you that natural cyclic levels of Co2 were at their highest before mankind's pollution was a consideration

It has always been higher than now an way higher except for on geologic time period where it was lower. So, this planet as its its lowest CO2 levels in Geo-Time / 1. As in past Geo-Times corals will adapt or re-adapt. They have a fancy word for this............... EVOLUTION

Lots of confusion here

i belived that ALK was the most important thing,
and that the ALK wont be stable unless the MAG is where it's suppose to be,
now, the PH is buffed(up or down) with the ALK and on one end of the "seesaw",
while MAG and CAL are on the other end of the seesaw,
when one side goes up, the other goes down,
and that you want the seesaw to balance in the middle..

Ca++ or Mg++ do not really control Alk, but a number of things do. One of the biggest is the generation of acids. In Limnology, it is often called ANC, Acid Neutralizing Capacity. In carbonate producing fauna and flora, we then need to throw in Ca++ and Mg++. Then you have to throw in non-biological precip, called Abiotic. It is really not the Mg++ controlling the Alk but the Ca++ and its abiotic precip. The Mg++ helps keep Ca++ in the water so there is less Ca++ abiotic precip, as does Borate.

and isnt there an ionic balance... meaning that if your MAG and ALK are X,
then your CAL, and PH should be X?? and that you can look it up exactly??

The so called "balance" in seawater is to try and follow the Law of Equal Proportions, in which case 99 % of reefers do not.

pH is a pure function of Alk and CO2 and has NOTING to do with Ca++ or Mg++. If "Bob has a pH of 8.1 and Sue has a pH of 8.1, both of then have the same exact ratio of CO2:HCO3-:CO3--. Bob may have a higher Alk but the ratio is still the same. It can be given mathematically with great accuracy.

pH = [ pCO2 pK1 s Ѓ ( pCO2^2 pK1^2 s^2 + 8 CA pCO2 pK1 s pK2 ) ] / 2 CA

HCO3 - = CA / ( 1 +2 pK2 / pHt )

CO3-- = CA x pK2 / ( pHt + 2 pK2 )

CO2 = CA x pHt / [ pK1 (1 + 2 pK2 / pHt ) ]

The attachment is a good graphic illustration

spllbnd2
Boomer is not argueing against what I am saying?

Nope not arguing but I like to see evidence

spllbnd2
I would like to know where the scientific evidence is that shows or states that excess calcium levels in a reef tank will kill or inhibit coral growth. I think that if all our parameters are as close to NSW, our systems should not inhibit/kill any of our corals that we keep under our care.

Mojo

Every single scientific study done on coral growth, states that in order for coral to grow (as cell division) it needs to remove calcium from with in its cell structure first. This tells you that the presence of calcium in the cells stops/prevents/inhibits the process. I can list these studies but thier are thousands and it is a know thing.

and

When you increase the levels of calcium present in the tank you are going to get a higher level of calcification (skeliton growth) and a lower level of tissue growth (as the coral is donating much more energy to calcium removal).

Nope, high calcium has shown time and time again not to increase coral growth, as the surrounding water is already supersaturate at NSW levels. Meaning, they can not take bring about more precip. So, if the Ca++ is 360 ppm to 500+ ppm ( or higher) they grow at the same rate. Chris Jury has shown this in the lab. What accelerates coral growth of hard the skeleton is increasing the Alk and pH. However, the higher Ca++ *may produce less tissue growth and the coral may expend energy more, thus less soft tissue development by dealing with the high outside Ca++ gradient or expel the Ca++ out of the tissue, which would use up needed energy budget for soft tissue growth.

If I missed something somebody please speak up

Attachments

• Bjerum Diagram global06.jpg
    Bjerum Diagram global06.jpg
    49.2 KB
Back