Calcium Inhibits Coral Growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

For a long time, I didn't understand this and couldn't wrap my head around it. Finally, one day, Boomer and Charlie explained it to me, in a way that made sense.

Calcium allows Stony Corals to build skeletons, AS a waste product. Stony corals have to rid their bodies of Calcium, and in doing so, build skeletons. However, they have to actually WORK at ridding their body of Calcium, using energy. If the Calcium levels are too high, the coral uses too much energy, to rid the calcium from their bodies. Think of is as being CONSTIPATED...LOL.

Funny as it sounds, "Constipated," was the key word, that helped me to understand the whole concept.

When, we, as humans, are constipated....well....we have to work a bit harder, using more energy....

When corals have to work harder, and use more energy, they have less energy that they can direct towards growth and health. So, when we unnaturally elevate Calcium levels, we're actually "constipating" our Stony Corals, requiring them to work harder, to excrete the elevated levels of Calcium, from their systems.

Alright, this never made sense until I read that post....thanks! Time to start with SPS :p Just kidding! More reading first

Wow! This was very interesting. Needless to say, I did not understand it all. I do get the just of it though. Thank you. So from what I understand we can run calcium at levels as low as 360 ppm without ill effects? What is the optimum Alk level then?

Hi,
Thanks for the great thread! I need to upgrade my ritalin to completely take it in though :)
I was wondering if you know of a reputable potassium test kit?
Also could you clarify what you define as "high calcium levels" in ppm? Sorry if this has been covered, I might have missed it. I don't get molar values, my eduction went in another direction and then petered out entirely. I am still doing 2 part supplements and shooting for 420 calcium.
Kate

Sharing some insight, March 2011 PSAS meeting discussed Ultra Low Nutrient Systems and my notes indicated these key levels: Alk 8dkh, Calcium 410-430, Mag 1250-1300, K? 380, Potassium-see recommended levels on Elos kit, N03 0-.03, Phos .03. See web discussions regarding "Stoichometric Ratio - Carbon:Nitrate:phos or 106:16:1". Interestingly it was recommended to keep at least a minimum amount of the Red Monti Cap due to it's ability to be an early indicator species for depleting elements in our tanks that their growth and deep color indicates good/proper chemistry. In addition to boosting immunity by vitamin supplementing w/amino acid and Ascorbic Acid vitamin C, Roto Feast food and probiotic foods. These aid to color-up drab corals overworked by being constipated w/ dealing with calcium. More can be elaborated on the PSAS forum.

Sharing some insight, March 2011 PSAS meeting discussed Ultra Low Nutrient Systems and my notes indicated these key levels: Alk 8dkh, Calcium 410-430, Mag 1250-1300, K? 380, Potassium-see recommended levels on Elos kit, N03 0-.03, Phos .03. See web discussions regarding "Stoichometric Ratio - Carbon:Nitrate:phos or 106:16:1". Interestingly it was recommended to keep at least a minimum amount of the Red Monti Cap due to it's ability to be an early indicator species for depleting elements in our tanks that their growth and deep color indicates good/proper chemistry. In addition to boosting immunity by vitamin supplementing w/amino acid and Ascorbic Acid vitamin C, Roto Feast food and probiotic foods. These aid to color-up drab corals overworked by being constipated w/ dealing with calcium. More can be elaborated on the PSAS forum.

Has the Elos potassium test been compared with other brands? Some of their other kits were not favorably reviewed, found it discouraging. Perhaps their early production runs had some issues, it's a new brand.

By Red Montipora do you mean one that is deep red or the typical peach/orange plating monti that everyone has? Assuming you mean deep red... as I have both. Did observe that in several years the "red" one was only red for one week, the rest of the time it is brown. Oops. :) Did not know it was even capable of being anything but brown til that one week. Guess you just explained that...
Kate

Dang Mojo,,,,
sps grow,,color,health
just want to put it all together after read all the details that you guy wrote it up page after page

Mojo,,,this is what we leaned from you when we sat on the deck out side of your house 9 years ago and you told us all about it
food,food ,food
ALK,Mg ,Ca PO4 pest control,lighting,ecosytem,very concentrate of maintaining water chemistry in balance and alot more,,more,more,,,that we are today
and we are still learning everyday
thank you

ok, for the newbie, me, I am tryng to use purple up to get coraline growth, can I be overdoing it? I have test kits, what levels should I strive for to get growth of corals, lps. ?? thanks, newbie

Dang Mojo....between you, Boomer, and the others here you guys are like a library of knowledge....we are lucky to have such educated people here.

Mike's head is already too big Reeflogic. You wanna talk about calcium overload...

I have had the pleasure of discussing this with Mike in person, I think my head about fell of my shoulders. The most helpful piece I took away from the conversation was trying to replicate the same levels of natural sea water.

That took us into another conversation about feeding the corals to replenish the extra energy to offset that high calcium level. The problem with this is that now we have this coral working at hyperdrive and we have reduced its ability to adapt should something happen. Let's say a sudden swing in temp due to a broken heater. And boom, coral is gone quicker than any growth you have seen.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Back