Calcium reactor feed pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dogfrog

latezonatus
Have been doing some reading on feed pumps for a calcium reactor. And from what I see so far the best type of pump to use is a peristaltic pump like THIS

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors by Simon Humtington

“Personally, I use a peristaltic pump to supply water to the reactor. Peristaltic pumps are very good at operating against pressure, providing a steady flow with the minimal maintenance requirement of replacing the tubing once in awhile. A simple rotary device controls the motor's speed, allowing easy and very precise adjustment of the flow even at low flow rates. I recommend using a high quality unit that is specifically designed for a 24 hr./7 days a week duty cycle. Most pumps sold for the aquarium hobby are not suitable! (Watson-Marlow pumps have been found to be very robust for this job; one aquarist I know has run one continuously for over 7 years!)”

Anybody using this type of pump? If so what is your reason?

Have been doing some reading on feed pumps for a calcium reactor. And from what I see so far the best type of pump to use is a peristaltic pump like THIS

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors by Simon Humtington

“Personally, I use a peristaltic pump to supply water to the reactor. Peristaltic pumps are very good at operating against pressure, providing a steady flow with the minimal maintenance requirement of replacing the tubing once in awhile. A simple rotary device controls the motor's speed, allowing easy and very precise adjustment of the flow even at low flow rates. I recommend using a high quality unit that is specifically designed for a 24 hr./7 days a week duty cycle. Most pumps sold for the aquarium hobby are not suitable! (Watson-Marlow pumps have been found to be very robust for this job; one aquarist I know has run one continuously for over 7 years!)”

Anybody using this type of pump? If so what is your reason?

I have used the feed and siphon method and if you can get the siphon to work ( some reactors will or wont) that worked best for me no problems for years and less crap to plugin and mess with. I would check to see if it will feed itself with a siphon then you just fit the feed line with a weight in an always full section of your sump.

Parastaltic pumps are the best for feeding a reactor but not that monster you posted. Parastaltic pumps are the best because they dont actually "feed" the reactor. They create negative pressure or vacuum if you will. They get installed on the output line and suck the water through the reactor. This leave no chance for gas build up and provides optimum adjustability.

Don

Parastaltic pumps are the best for feeding a reactor but not that monster you posted. Parastaltic pumps are the best because they dont actually "feed" the reactor. They create negative pressure or vacuum if you will. They get installed on the output line and suck the water through the reactor. This leave no chance for gas build up and provides optimum adjustability.

Don

Don, that makes a lot of sense. Is the parastaltic used with a recirculating pump to chop up CO2 bubbles and circulate? I like the idea that the parastaltic is not bothered by airlock.

Don, that makes a lot of sense. Is the parastaltic used with a recirculating pump to chop up CO2 bubbles and circulate? I like the idea that the parastaltic is not bothered by airlock.

Most if not all reactors have a recirc pump. The reason why the peri works so well is its "sucking" on the output. The trapped gas is sucked out and once all of it is out, the system becomes a negative pressure system and cant build up the excess gas.

Don

Interesting... I guess I went the cheap way in using the Korallin Calcium Reactor Eheim as recirc + return. When I set it up it would tend to airlock if the through flow was too low as the pump is on top.

Is the aqualifter good for the range of pH in a calcium reactor?

I thought the airlock was a bug. Marine Depot calls it a feature!!!

"Water circuit interruption in case of CO2 overdose—our exclusive CO2 Safety Feature"

Interesting... I guess I went the cheap way in using the Korallin Calcium Reactor Eheim as recirc + return. When I set it up it would tend to airlock if the through flow was too low as the pump is on top.

Is the aqualifter good for the range of pH in a calcium reactor?

The Korallins are famous for being a PITA with gas locking. Ive always been a fan of Schuran they are the ones that figured out decades ago that negative pressure works much better. It also gives you the ability to dial a reactor in to the point that it will put out much higher dkh than it could otherwise without gas locking. For example the little tiny Schuran PICO with a peri pump will out perform any Korallin with a push pump. Peri pumps are expensive and americans being so damn cheap havent caught yet and probably never will.:)

Don

You have me convinced now. A final question: do you still use a valve on the inlet or outlet side? The rate is controlled by the peristaltic but you could control the negative pressure by restricting the inlet.

You have me convinced now. A final question: do you still use a valve on the inlet or outlet side? The rate is controlled by the peristaltic but you could control the negative pressure by restricting the inlet.

It depends on the pump. A pump that runs at the same speed needs a valve on the inlet. A variable pump does not. Check ebay for variable pumps.

Don

Don

Also from my reading most of the Parastaltic/Dosing pumps we use in the hobby are not ment to be ran 24/7 nor do they have the ability to fine tune as much. So My "Monster" might not be the right choice.

Then what should I be looking for?

Also from my reading most of the Parastaltic/Dosing pumps we use in the hobby are not ment to be ran 24/7 nor do they have the ability to fine tune as much. So My "Monster" might not be the right choice.

Then what should I be looking for?

Masterflex pumps are the best pumps. There are many on ebay. The elcheapo pumps are not made to go 24/7. DC pumps are easily made to pump the right dose but will not last long. Masterflex is really the way to go.

Don

I have been using a different style of pump for around 6 months now and am very very happy with it. Before I was constantly adjust the effluent rate and was about to give up on my reactor until I came across these pumps and they work great. They are commonly used for chemical injections such as fertilizer into irrigation lines and such. I will try to post a link. Here it is.
http://suncoastrustcontrol.com/phpstore/index.php?action=item&id=37

This pump is capable of pumping up to 30GPD so it will meet any tank needs that you will have.

It depends on the pump. A pump that runs at the same speed needs a valve on the inlet. A variable pump does not. Check ebay for variable pumps.
Don

Because I run a rather high drip rate on my reactor to prevent unlocking I have set the computer so that the CO2 reactor is open at pH 8.3. The kalc reactor drives the pH up during the day and the CO2 brings it down. Far from efficient though as the pH is not stable in the reactor.

Do you have a controller for the CO2 and or pump?

Because I run a rather high drip rate on my reactor to prevent unlocking I have set the computer so that the CO2 reactor is open at pH 8.3. The kalc reactor drives the pH up during the day and the CO2 brings it down. Far from efficient though as the pH is not stable in the reactor.

Do you have a controller for the CO2 and or pump?

Ive never bothered with a controller. Your reactor will take to long to drop the ph if you use the tank ph to control it. It wont matter with a low bioload but once you have alot of consumers the reactor will not work well. Set the controller to regulate the reactors ph if anything. If its set up and working right you dont need a controller at all.

Don

so I should have my aqua lifter sucking on the output of my CARX??

I may have a timer for you to use with your aqualifter that is the slickest thing for turning a aqualifter into a precise doser. I'll check my junk box when I get home.

Don

Back