Camera suggestions...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
OK I am camera retarded. I know that I love my Canon SD780 for a point and shoot. My Fiancee Lisa has a natural talent for picture taking and I would like to get her a decent camera. We are both canon fans. I dont have tons of cash for the latest and greatest rebel though. I do want an SLR that I can change lenses on. I want her to be able to do all the settings and stuff....

like 400-450 Used is ok. READY.......GO!

You can find some great deals on SLR on CL. I've seen some of the the older models which is still great cameras such as the XTI and the not so old XSI going for that price range on CL.

Just keep in mind if you're buying your camera equipment cheap from say Ebay or Craigslist, you lose any sort of after purchase support/warentee. If you spend the extra hundred or whatever and buy from a bigger company, IE: BHphotovideo.com or calumetphoto.com, you can purchase a warentee and be able to return the camera/lens without issue if it turns out to be a lemon(which happens).

That said, yes the Canon Rebels are good entry level SLRs for a decent price. You can buy the Canon XSi w/kit lens now for mid $500.

A couple other things to keep in mind:

Stay away from "gray market" lenses. Glass is your most important asset with photography, try not to skimp.

Craigslist/Ebay are great ways to save money, although you are potentially setting yourself up to get ripped, if you do your homework and ask good questions you can usually sniff out those trying to rip people off.

Craigslist is better than Ebay in that most people selling decent cameras will allow the potential user to take shots with the camera and analyze them. This is extremely handy when buying lenses, as you can see just how sharp a lens really is (EVERY lens has the potential to be VERY sharp or terrible, even higher end lenses).

I am definitely a Canon guy too and bought my first two dslr's off ebay, and a couple lenses. The photographer and lens make the photo, don't worry about getting the newest dslr body, focus more on quality lenses. And even filters so many people buy a lens, than can't afford or don't want to spend much to "protect" their lens so they buy a cheapo uv filter to throw on.
Your pictures are only as good as your worst piece of glass

I could go on and on about photography ;-)

yes there is something to say about a UV filter to protect your lens.

I can attest to that....

During one trip to St Louis, I was part of a tour group to the St Louis Zoo. Upon stepping off the bus, I unslung my camera which was on a strap over my shoulder, to take a photo of the zoo entrance. Upon that motion, I felt the strap slip right out of my hand and my camera crashed lens first straight onto the pavement. The strap had come loose and uncinched from its buckle and the movement caused the last bit to slide out. And I of coarse didn't have my lens cap on because i'm horrible about that. Everyone around me gasped or groaned, and I fearfully leaned down and picked up my camera, only to have a small heart attack when I looked at the lens. But much to my suprise, the shattered glass I was seeing was just my Tiffen UV filter. The thread had been stripped and it took some prying to get the broken filter off, but in the end, it saved the glass in my lens. I was able to go on and take many good photos that day.

TigerSitLook.jpg

LeopardFrame.jpg

KingVulture.jpg

Last edited:
UV filter was something more for film photography, however I still 100% recommend you get one with EVERY LENSES it does protect the glass from damage scratches, you are going to be really mad if you scratch a lens that costs $300-3000 The down falls are some say they create bad color or a haze and you have to increase exposure, but for the few situations it would be useful to not have a UV it is easy enough to take it off...

This quote explains it better than me.

http://photo.net/equipment/filters/

'So now we know what UV light is, why would be want to block it? Well the answer lies in the way that color film works. There are basically three color sensitive layers, one sensitive to red light, one to green light and one to blue light. The blue layer not only responds to blue light, but also to UV light, so if there is a lot of UV around the blue sensitive layer gets extra exposure and the final image takes on a blue color. Since film isn't normally sensitive to infrared, you don't need an infrared blocking filter. Interestingly though, digital sensors are infrared sensitive and most digital cameras have an infrared blocking filter built in. '

If you do end up going for a macro lens, take my advice and get the 100mm. I had a 60mm first and I had a hard time getting good shots of fish because I had to get so close to the glass to get a close up shot. 100mm is by far easier to use.

Nobody likes Nikon? I was raised in the canon world, but bought my last camera as a Nikon just because of the user features that it had. Plus, (especially if you are on a budget) you can use almost any nikkor lens ever made. Sure the older ones require manual settings, but don't you already do that when shooting macro(micro to be proper)? There is a big difference when paying $50-100 over $500-1000 for a lens that you might only use for your fish tank.
Either way you go, make sure you post some pictures for us to see :)

-augustus

I would consider buying at Costco. They have both Nikon and Canon and bundle the cameras with one or two lenses. If by chance you are unhappy with the purchase, as you probably know, they offer a very generous return policy. The best you will find around town. Keep us posted. :)

I agree Augustus. I liked my Nikon slightly better than the canon. If I replace my Canon it will be with a Nikon. I had the Nikon d40x before I sold it for the Canon. I like how Nikon has onboard editing.

I only have Nikon, will only ever have Nikon. My GF has a digital cannon point an shoot I use I but that is because I am to poor for a macro for my DSLR. As far as macro's go Tamaron makes a 90mm macro pretty sure Nikon & Cannon mount that is about $450 (for the Nikon) I am bout $150 short I have been saving :) was a lot closer before the frag swap...lol

You can use some older Canon lenses on their DSLR's too. I use an old zoom lens from my old Canon film camera on my DSLR. It works fine. Agree that Nikon is really good as well as I have used some of my friends cameras too. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either. In my opinion you should get what most of your family/friends have. Me and most of my friends have Canon's so we are able to borrow lenses and accessories from each other. Saves you a TON of $$$ in the end.

My $.02
I moved from Nikon film to a Cannon (50D) for my dslr. Both companies made good bodies, and you can argue for hours about which features "make" a brand. But as Noworries stated so clearly, "Your pictures are only as good as your worst piece of glass". I couldn't agree more. Cannon has some of the best lenses out there, and they are generally (considerably!) less expensive then their Nikon equivelent.
All that said, I wish Cannon would put the power switch in an intelligent location :)

I agree with checking at Costco. We just purchased a T1i with two lenses from Costco. Also as stated they have a 90 day no questions asked return policy.

Agreed with other posters...if your going to spend money...spend more on the lenses then on the body. Good lenses are everything. I've heard good things about some of the aftermarket lenses as well if you want to save money. I've tried the Sigma 18-200mm lens and it really took great photos. Even compared to my 28-135mm Canon lens.

Back