Carbon Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
how long should i run carbon for before changing it??????also, what all does the carbon filter out?????:confused:

nothing.....one of my leathers never opens at all anymore...someone said it might be toxins from my shrooms that were too close... i put the shrooms in another tank..i am going to run some carbon this week and do a large WC and see what happens

Ahh...Yeah I saw your other thread about the mushrooms, but I don't know
"diddley" when it comes to them so I didn't reply. Carbon is supposed to absorb a lot of things, but I'm not sure if toxins is one of them...

well, i haven't ever used it, but i guess i will see. at least my water will be crystal clear....i bought Black Diamond....it's the only good one that my lfs had

Black Diamond is all I'll ever use. You will be surprised at how good your water is just by using it. I could never run a tank without it...Amazing stuff:)

ok just a silly question here since i don't know anything about carbon

do you just putting in the filter bag and then just let it hang in the sump? or do you rinse it and then you let it run?

sorry dood i had to ask :D .

About your mushrooms and leather, i have my leather and mushrooms in the same tank, just one is at the bottom and the other one is at the very top... have you tried putting your leather a little bit more close to the powerhead or whatever you got for flow.... mine is very close to a powerhead and it seems to like it a lot because it's not only growing but it hasn't closed or throw the mucus stuff.

i have a large leather on each side of my tank...they are both close to my closed loop output on each side...they are getting good flow( not laminar)..it is a soft flow that sways their polyps slowly... i took most of the mushrooms out...there are a few at the very bottom, not close to the leathers...also, you have to rinse the carbon well before using it

Yeah Gabbs...You can hang the carbon in a media bag in an area of your sump that has high flow, you can put it in a cannister filter, power filter etc and you rinse it out a bit before use to get off all of that black dust particles and stuff off and BAM!!! :D

hmm that's weird dood :confused: like i said my mushrooms are in the same tank and they have never done anything to the leather.
I hope your leather gets better.

Yeah Gabbs...You can hang the carbon in a media bag in an area of your sump that has high flow, you can put it in a cannister filter, power filter etc and you rinse it out a bit before use to get off all of that black dust particles and stuff off and BAM!!!

that's kewl dood :) .

how many avatars can you have in one day?????? lol

i don't know dood ...... Krish how many :D :p .

LOL...I've had this one for weeks and just put the jew fish one up last night until today but swapped back! Ron changed his! He had a before quarentine photo of his tang and now he has an after copper treatment one up now:lol:

LOL...I've had this one for weeks and just put the jew fish one up last night until today but swapped back! Ron changed his! He had a before quarentine photo of his tang and now he has an after copper treatment one up now

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: ... well i guess this one is a keeper eh dood :D .

ok just a silly question here since i don't know anything about carbon

do you just putting in the filter bag and then just let it hang in the sump? or do you rinse it and then you let it run?

I heard that the water tends to go aroung the bag more then through unless the bag is in a tight space with high water flow. I'm going to make carbon chamber out of pvc with end caps and barbs for 1/2" tubing for a power head hookup. This will force water through the carbon for max benefits. Krish, I have used carbon in my freshwater tanks for years. I would think that you would get more then 1 week out of the carbon. I'm thinking at least a month, but that's just a guess. I'm having problems with water quality so am very intrested in running carbon. Later.:cool:

Thanks doods :) .
i have been planning on doing it .... i mean the carbon :p but for some reason i always hesitate :p .

Krish, I have used carbon in my freshwater tanks for years. I would think that you would get more then 1 week out of the carbon. I'm thinking at least a month, but that's just a guess. I'm having problems with water quality so am very intrested in running carbon. Later

Yeah...I've used them as well in freshwater tanks. I've been using carbon for probably 10 years now with all of my tanks. It wasn't until about 3 years ago I learned it had to be replaced every 3 weeks to a month. The reason I switched to once a week is because I don't run very much in my media bag (so it wouldn't be so compact in there) and so I want to make sure that the little I use, doesn't become exhausted too quickly. I could run double the amount for 2-3 weeks, but I just change it one time when doing my water change:)

Back