Carbon Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Definately...Epecially since you aren't supposed to mess with them, I've seen some at the LFS that can hardly spin due to so much sludge and build up on them:eek:

mine were spinning fast, but they looked nasty....they improved the new penguin filters...the biowheels seem to spin a lot better

Yeah...But it defeats the purpose. All the bacteria that has grown on it will all be gone one shot. I think they recommend "swishing" it in old tank water to remove any loose stuff and then just re-use. Or if you are running a filter with 2 bio-wheels, then you can change one and keep an old one on and after the new one gets seeded, then you can swap out the last old one:)

what about my carbon, im gonna wait till next saterday, then chuck it.

the new cabon should be soaked in RoDI right? till the black water goes away? and the sizzle noise stop's?
Picture3000932.jpg

i think the carbon is helping with my leathers...both of them seem to be better...the one that never opens is open a lot more, but not fully...the other still has the fuzzy edge though...not sure about that...i can't get anthony calfo to reply...maybe i will pm him

I cant tell if my cabon, is helping yet, its barly bin 24hrs. The green bush, has stoped growing, its the same it was 2 days age, and sickly looking,while the one in the sump is geting bigger and bigger.

I figer the less light in the main tank will result in the sump haveing more time to grow.

Dont wanna high jack this unit, but does carbon help with water perameters? how? what does it do?

Carbon helps in the sense that it will absorb some of the nasties in the water like urine etc which in turn affects water quality. Just think of a tank having urine added to it daily and nothing really to absorb it :eek: Waste will eventually turn into nitrates and that's where most of our problems lie:)

leave it to Krish to come up with a gross illustration:D :D j/k it makes a good point:D

leave it to Krish to come up with a gross illustration j/k it makes a good point

i told you he loves being in the bathroom and most of his tank creations come from deep in there :lol: :lol: .

Back