Carbon Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i have one biowheel on my qt tank..it is the only thing that has bacteria on it... i have to leave it

i will take off the ones from my display tank....they have been there for over a year!!!

not anymore!!!!. i just took them off...i don't know if the carbon had anything to do w/ it, but one of my leathers is larger than normal and the one that never opens is halfway open....i think the carbon is helping some..the skimmer that is on that tank is a prizm, so it doesn't get skimmed very well. i have to run it very wet to get alot out

I ran carbon quite bit, I use a canister with a powerhead to run water through. Lt a pretty Slow flow though. I change it about every week, week and half. I run them before my Refuge though, That way alot of good stuff gets back in. I noticed a drop in ammonia and before RODI was available we used to run them on our tanks before adding salts to the mix for insurance. So it does do good stuff and it clears water nicely.

Wow you must go through alot of carbon. That stuffs not cheap. Where do you buy it from? If I change it every week and keep buying it from the LFS I'll go broke.:D

are there any harmful effects from running too much carbon at once???? i am running a good amount in my display right now!

are there any harmful effects from running too much carbon at once???? i am running a good amount in my display right now!

I think the only negative effect is stripping your tank of everything, including the stuff you want.

i can fix that w/ a large water change..i just want the gunk out of the tank!!! actually, the water seems pretty clear..i am waiting to see how it looks at the end of the week..i have never ran carbon before...i will just run it from time to time, not continuously

Last edited:
I run mine 24/7 and never had any issues. If you are treating the tank with medications, then you have to remove the carbon and resume use after treatment:)

nice corals..i was kidding though..when i first saw your tang pics, i was telling my girlfriend that you must have got some corals..i could see the edge of one in the pic

Just note as I posted something on amounts of GAC on another thread. Recommendations seem all over the place, from as little as 3 tablespoons / 50 gal up 1 l /50 gal. That is allot :lol: Me I'm still in the old mode and like something like 1 cup / 50 gal, even though I used more. It is basically a function of how long you want to leave it in and how often you are willing to clean it and are you running it actively or passively and what the carbon is housed in.

Hey guys,

I run magnum 350 and hot magnum with carbon in both. Should I take the socks off them? Are they nitrate factories as well?

Still having trouble with nitrates - no I don't have my sump yet....just got my lights hung!

BJ

If you are referring to the blue sleeve, I would especially if you leave it on longer than a week. I particularily don't like any prefilter sponges, socks, sleeves etc going for longer than 2 days at the most without being rinsed. Too much crap builds up on them and breakdown degrading water quality. Just my 2 cents:)

i filled two media cartrides up w/ carbon..here are the cartridges..i am running carbon in a 72g..i only plan on leaving it for about a week..

I gotta go - take off my socks and change carbon! What about the bubble diffuser sponge on the skimmer? Its hangon right now and if I don't use something, my water is practically white!

BJ

Back