Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow, are you sure Scooty? I was planing on getting a full cleaning crew. The tank has some much algae right now that I really doubt 5 small turbos and 5 hermits could take care of it.

You are getting me all excited! :eek:

Carlos If what your saying is true that you had 0,0,0 reading for the last month & after all this time curing, yea I'd say your good to go, test it all once again & do it if your still all 0's!
You'll still go through blooms from time to time, just keep your tank clean, wc's etc. It is time.

I think you are ready for a few hardy fish Carlos!:D Infact, I rushed the gun before and added fish before I was reading 0 nitrites much less 0 nitrates and I was fine. You're good to go IMO. I'd probably get 2 small hardy fish and allow the tank to adjust to the new bioload:)

What photo period are you doing now? I go 11 hrs on mine, probably over kill but you can do less & still be fine.

I'd go at least 8 when you get the fish!
I would also plan on eventually setting up a QT, eventually your tank will be established & you don't want to add anything new once you get it started unless you QT.

Do I need to increase it all at once or gradually?

I've been thinking about the QT for a while I just need to figure out where to put it. I will start asking question about that soon.

Well without corals or fish I'd just bump it up to the full time period because the fish you get will expect light for most of the day. I don't think you'll get much of an impact other then some light brown alga as a bloom but that would be normal.
When Krish sent me that MH for my tank I went from 17w's on a few hours a day to full light 10 hours & had a small diatom bloom but changed water, blew the rocks & stayed at it. Your almost at the same point my tank is but cleaner then mine:D Really It is time to make the big leap Carlos, I know it is a big responsibility but as patient as you have been I wish everyone was as diligent as you. When I first started out in this hobby I wasn't told a thing, the LFS sold me everything & all I did was kill fish for no reason. Keep up with the questions & you will go a long way & with a much better start than most.

I agree on the photperiod. You can just turn them on one time and let them run rather that a few hours more each day. Nothing there to acclimate. I ran mine for a total of 7 hours:)

Finally getting Live stuff!

Ok I hear you guys!. I just ordered a cleaning crew and found a local reefer who will take most of the crew once my tank is cleaned. I also ordered the pair of True Perculas so I should have them by next week.

It's for real now!!! :evil:

I got this cleaning crew in the tank Today. I couldn't believe how fast crabs were directly to the rocks and started eating algae right away! especially the Sally crab which is kind of intimidating (I won't be keeping it or any of the emaralds), anyway, I have something to watch in the tank now, Very exciting!!!

Last edited:
You could have had that thing connected a long time ago Carlos!:D No need to wait for the fish. I'd get it connected now to start removing any traces of phosphates you may have in your system now because with an added bio-load usually comes excess phosphates from foods and so forth:)

It looks like the source of the micro bubbles was the drain pipe in the sump. Today I cut it, attached the T at the end and put a filter sock, 1 hour later bubbles are almost completely gone! I guess that means my baffles are not doing their job right but as I mentioned before I plan to re do my sump in the future anyway.

By the way, I will have my pair of perculas next weekend!

I noticed this little thing in the tank Today, any idea what it could it?

00ql6.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great on the microbubbles Carlos!!:D About the pic, looks like a type tube worm which is good to have..They are filter feeders and help with water quality:)

I noticed this little thing in the tank Today, any idea what it could it?

Congrats on the fix of the micro bubbles.

The long green tubes is a form of algae, if left unchecked It will spread out of control, you need to remove them at the base of the rocks, may want to remove the rocks to take them off. I forget the name of these but I'll see if I can find it later.;)

Back