Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I really think this will help Carlos. With the way your baffles are set up, the last wall should send the water flow and bubbles upward allowing them to disperse to the surface given that the water level is well above that last wall. Instead, your water level is lower than that wall causing the flow to go downward once again along with the bubbles with not much room to disperse which creates a greater chance for them to be drawn into your return pump.

I'm guessing the drain takes the air from the small hole drilled in the cap of the durso pipe right?

I currently have 3 baffles with 1 1/2" of separation from each other and the one in the middle has the same separation from the floor.

Yea you need that air from the durso, I had several in case one would plug up with salt creep or something, If you block them all it would have the same affect as the plumbing in your house, it would not drain, bam big mess!
With your baffles, If you put the first baffle high, the middle on the bottom & the last high again then this will help, despite how others claim. I have mine that way & I can dump all the micro bubbles I want before the bubble trap & not will get past. Why you ask because think about it, bubbles float upward, If your first baffle is high then the water will be forced downward, leaving the bubbles to float up & then up over the middle baffle. This leaves the micro bubbles floating upward & staying put in the first compartment. Granted not everyone has this problem because they either have more room Or the skimmer doesn't dump any micro bubbles back into the sump or not enough to make a difference.

Scooty, what you mentioned about the placing of the baffles make perfect sense. Too bad I have water in the tank already. Maybe in a few months I will replace my sump and install the baffles that way.

I'm going to do that gate valve mod to my skimmer and re-do my drain to see how it goes, I'll keep you guys posted, thanks again for your help!

As soon as its not wet to the touch you are fine to use it. It will still smell of course, but its not toxic in any way
For pipes with any pressure i like to wait at least an hour, but for astandpipe it doesnt matter

Last edited:
PVC glues should dry at least two hours to be safe, the chemicals have to dry some, liquid glue would be a toxic hazard, read the lable.

The temperature in the tank is swinging from 79 to 81. It seems like the small fans I have in the sump are not enough so I'm thinking on getting a bigger/better one. Looking for suggestions...

swinging from 79-81 is GOLDEN IMO and nothing to worry about.

Think of it this way Carlos, temp swings int he wild of 6 or more degrees are common. If you keep your tank at exactly 79 degrees all the time, how well do you think the corals will react when something happens that does swing the temp 6 -8 (or more) degrees...........or fragging and shipping them. It will shock them more than it would if they were used to a little bit of temp swing

I use controllers on both of my tanks and intentionally swing them 79-81 even 82 daily.

And on the glue thing, pvc glue(just like crazy glue) becomes inert as soon as it hits the water and is very much NOT toxic to your tank. Id be much more concerned with accidentally dumping a bunch of primer in your tank, which is why you shoudl wait until it dries

Last edited:
Carlos, I'll need to post the pics of the two fans I have. I have a large clip on in the hood & a larger on in the sump that just about does the job but right now I'm not pushing the lighting as I will later.

A bigger fan over the sump may do the trick, even something over the tank (if you don't have anything there already). As mentioned though, a 2 degree swing is nothing. Some chillers won't cut in to begin cooling unless your temp rises 2 degrees so you're fine IMO:)

And on the glue thing, pvc glue(just like crazy glue) becomes inert as soon as it hits the water and is very much NOT toxic to your tank. Id be much more concerned with accidentally dumping a bunch of primer in your tank, which is why you shoudl wait until it dries

Once it is dried & the vapors are gone yes but take a close look at the MSDS sheet, I don't think anyone wants any of that in their tanks until it is dried.;)

http://www.oatey.com/usenglish_msds/CEM010E5.pdf

I have my lights on for only 3 hours a day, I'm just worried that once I increase my photoperiod the temp can go way higher!

Last edited:
Still stable...I see ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all still the same. Hopefully by next week, that ammonia and nitrite will be gone:)

I really don't know if I'm reading my ammonia right since I haven't seen any real change ever since I started testing my water 7 weeks ago. Nitrites and Nitrates seem to be normal since the tank is still cycling.

Last edited:
Nitrate 100 isn't normal, you need to get this number down, way down!
other than that your good, Is the cloudy water crisp whitish on the ammonia test?

Back