Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't really like my 2 LFS. Is there any good online store that you would recommend to get my cleaning crew and fishes from?

I saw Rob's links and Marine Depot Live is very close by to where I live so I usually get stuff I buy from them very fast. Let's talk about critters and quantities for my tank!

Last edited:
I'm having problems with micro bubbles in my tank, is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

Last edited:
Carlos, that is a beautiful tank you got there! You and your cleaning crew :lol:. Don't you have a local reefing club where people could sell/trade/donate crabs and snails to you? :)

Did you ever figure out what those nasty things were (the ones floating on the surface)? I think they are fly larvae. I remember years ago in the summer there were flies breeding on the surface of my then-cycling tank. :eek:

Where are the micro bubbles coming from Carlos? Is it the lockline? If so, lockline usually needs to be totally submerged to prevent it from happeneing although some people keep their lockline partly exposed to air and not have any problems. Or...Is it being transferred from the sump? Let us know...If neither, sometimes the plumbing itself needs time to slime up a bit to prevent micro-bubbles which will only happen in time, but let us know where you think it is coming from so we can help you try eliminate them:)

I think the micro bubbles are coming from the sump even though I sometimes don't see them coming out the loc-lines.

Here a small video I took Tonight of my setup, maybe you guys can point to the problem by watching it.

VIDEO HERE

Last edited:
Hmm... Kinda hard to tell exactly from your video but that was neat anyways!
Maybe you could try to raise the water level in your return section... It looked like there was a little water fall action going on there and by raising the level in there may cut down on some of the turbulence in there which might be pulling in air and creating micro bubbles that might be hard to see. Just be careful not to raise it too much to save room for water that drains back in to the sump when the return pump is shut off or in the event of a power outage.
hth:)

I tried raising the level in my return section a few days ago but it did not help. It seems to me that the bubles are coming out the drain pipe of the skimmer.

Well... You could try to do the gate valve mod shown here with some instructions but I’d try to do it without cutting your riser tube first somehow just incase you didn’t like it or that it didn’t help... Sorry not sure what else to suggest. :confused:

What if I stick a sponge in the baffles? of course I would need to clean it all the time.

BS1135.jpg

I guess... But that would turn you into a sponge cleaning slave! :lol:
Maybe just temporary to see if it narrows down the location.
Although from your video, the only bubbles that I really did see were coming from your overflow inlet... Maybe you could put an inverted tee fitting on the end of the hose to disperse some of the bubbles and flow into two different directions.
Or possibly a bubble tower like this.

I agree with Rob...Try the sponge to see if the bubbles stop or divert the incomeing water over a bit to the far side ofg the sump and see if that helps. That would be great ways of narrowing down things:)

is it true that clamps of the flex hose create micro bubbles?

Not sure I've ever heard of that before. The only way I could see that happening is maybe if it allows air in the lines...:)

Carlos do you have baffles in your sump? Maybe bubbles from the skimmer are getting to that last chamber? That is hard to see in the video but it helps, wish it was about twice the size somehow. The loc-lines up top I'd doubt are the problem but again can't see LOL! Check the area where the return pump is sucking in water & watch it a while to see if there are bubbles in that chamber.

Back