Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was wondering if it's normal that my clowns have not eaten ever since they got here. Yesterday as well as Today I offered them some frozen shrimp but they don't seem to be interested at all even when I get my hand close to them.

Any suggestions?

Your thawing the shrimp in ro water? Have you tried adding a little garlic juice or Kent's Garlic extreme? Have you tried New Life Spectrum pellets? It may take a little while to see them eat, try turning off any major flow & don't try to feed them with you near the tank, back away & watch from a distance, they probably are eating.

Sometimes they take time Carlos. I've had clowns that went on almost 5 days before really eating and some that ate right away. It all depends on how well the transition is for them into the new tank. Some fish undergo alot of stress in shipping and then need to get use to their new surroundings. Give them a bit of time...They'll eat soon enough and can go for days without any food. I use to feed mine the Ocean nutrition flakes (Formula 1, 2 brine etc) and they loved them all. Good luck!:)

I bought some Ocean nutrition pellets but still they didn't eat it. Also, they spent the whole day underneath a powerhead in a corner of the tank but Tonight when I tried to feed them, I turned off the powerheads and they started swimming all over the tank, I don't really think I have to much flow, what do you think?

Allow them to acclimate to their new home, they had a very ruff trip getting there as Krish said. Don't spook them, walk up slowly & give them time to get to know you. That shrimp should be tasty when they get so hungry they will tear it up. I have a chair I sit back & watch the tank when I feed, my Hippo still get spooked from time to time so I try to remember that. My one Perk has a corner that he moves out to during the day.

I was just wondering if I should be monitoring my pH already? is there anything I should test besides Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Salinity and PPT?

Last edited:
Hi I am Debbie. I've been reading your thread this afternoon. I have enjoyed it very much and am amazed at your patience.

I wanted to say I have had 2 (a pair I believe) A. ocellaris clowns for 8 months now and I find their favorite food is formula 1 flakes. I feed lots of different foods but they will always eat that. The other thing is I got this piece of LR that had a couple of worms in it...no bristles so I don't know what kind they were, they were pink. Anyway my clowns went crazy for them. I couldn't believe how much they fit into their little bodies. These worms were short but fat. Anyway I am thinking of either trying some live bloodworms or frozen because other than the worms from that rock they are pretty picky eaters (mine).

Your tank looks great!

Hmm...Carlos, I'd start a new thread dedicated specifically to the clowns and post that same pic to get some more feedback from the experts here. Good luck:)

it sucks dood :(.
i hope you get some good advice...like i said may be pm elmo and see what he has to say, he knows a lot about clowns.
i feed all my fishes frozen formula 1 (whichever is the red one :p),cyclopeeze, mysis shrimp and they all go nuts about the food .

I set up the qt Tonight, I could not find the Formalin though. I will try some other fish stores Tomorrow. The fishes seem ok but still not eating.

Today I found my Sally Lightfoot Crab dead on the sand. It looks like something attacked him because it was a mess. I saw him last night and he looked fine. The only think that I have in the tank that could probably bother him would be the Coral Banded Shrimp but he is smaller and I've never seen them fighting. I also have a few Emerald Crabs but they seem very shy so I don't really know what could have happened to him.

I checked my parameters and they are all fine.

A tough week for sure... :(

Last edited:
Back