Carpet tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey thanks!! I got them from Seaking aquariums and couldn't be more pleased with them. One week later and they are acclimating well:) not one sign of trouble other than big blues move out of direct light and the expected lessening of blue. It has been gradually catching more rays by lifting it's oral disk out and up.

Nice!
They're in great shape. All of the Gigantea's I've seen here in stores locally, (and we don't get many of them in locally), look like crap....

Yours look so nice, I'd wondered if they had been captive for awhile and someone decided to take them to the store.

So I've been busy with selling corals and bta's to fund the big pieces for the big tank. And have been saving store credits at Denny's from coral trade ins and the last of my bta's I traded in. I had a ton of credit stored up and was hammering them to find a healthy gig and they produced! It's a beautiful purple gig. And it looks great next to the others. I also moved a haddoni carpet I had in the other tank that has a lavender base with yellow tips. So it's filled out for now. I left the other haddoni in the other tank for now. But the purple came down with an infection I got it out immediately and began treating with cipro. And it's coming back just fine. It should be ready for the dt in 5-7 days. If all goes well that is. But here are some pics of the tank as it sat the other night before the purple got sick.
IMG_2995_zpsd9d4c68e.jpg

IMG_3729_zps23b1296a.jpg

And here is a pick of the lavender as it normally is. The last pic it had withdrawn a bit.
IMG_3907_zps8374d1c3.jpg

IMG_2918_zps7ffa54b2.jpg

Last edited:
Really cool tank, love all the pics, I needed a carpet fix ! Also sorry the purple got sick, but trying to see it as a learning opp

Well I'm back to announce that the purple gig made it. I was able to treat him with cipro and he has recovered well. There was some bleaching but I expected that and now its the same size if not larger than the green gig. Even though I didn't pay out of pocket for the guy, I just didnt want to see this guy go. Cipro is a godsend to keeping these big nems. And now some pics:)

Here is the green guy looking good as usual. Its tentacles have really lengthened and colored all the way to the base. But the blue has placed himself below the the green and doesn't get near as much light and has shrunk to half its size. I've begun to feed it every other day to supplement hopefully that will work because lighting is out of the budget right now.

And here is a FTS now that they are all in their places.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V3LjpjGTSZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Where in the HECK did you get that huge green carpet... So beauty

Awesome little tank build man. Just had the time to read through it.. nExt time I'm in monroe, definitly stoppoing by

:)
Sweeeeet. Thxs for the update and pics and vid.
I'm sure ur nem will move if it needs more light... ? Right? Lol
Psas has some ballast in my garage idk much about mhs or if it helps lol.
Wats the other nem in the tank ?
-d

Where in the HECK did you get that huge green carpet... So beauty

Awesome little tank build man. Just had the time to read through it.. nExt time I'm in monroe, definitly stoppoing by
I got the green and the blue from SeaKing Aquariums. The green has been a beast from day one! Come on by and talk some shop:)

The other nem is a haddoni. It has a lavender base and yellow tips that are now turning green. I like this tank but can't wait till the 4x4 build is done and these guys can move into their new surroundings:)

Well I'm more than devastated to tell everyone one that an infection that was brought in to the tank from the purple has wiped out all of my carpets except for the green one. While treating the blue and purple the pump stopped and the heater went crazy bringing the temp to 98 when I caught it. And the haddoni hid in the rocks till it was to late to treat. After selling all my corals and bta's to aquire these beautiful creatures I made a small but critical mistake while introducing the purple to my healthy nems. I won't make that mistake again. My tanks look like fowlr's with the exception of the green gig. One day I'll post a new thread about how to treat carpets with cipro but its a bit much for me to do right now. I know it's been posted but here is the last FTS when they were healthy
IMG_5253_zps577603ea.jpg

And here is the healthy green gig now.
IMG_0981_zps4d83f6b6.jpg

So I want to update this thread. There are huge changes with more on the horizon. First I lost the last gig and haddoni after combining both of my tanks into a 75 peninsula tank. I did this after a move. But the down fall was that while I was away for a few days I had a pump fall onto of the haddoni and it must have laid there for a few days till I came home to find milky water. By then I lost my male clownfish, blue tang, green gig, and the green haddoni and a few corals also. But after three months of letting it ride while I almost quit tropical reefing completely I won a pair of spotcinctus clowns at the barrier reef annual sale!
IMG_9201_zpsd81f03a3.jpg~320x480

I was stoked and thought about what kind of anemone I would put in with such awesome clowns. And after a couple months I heard about the fire sale at pennys salsa and saw there was a red haddoni for sale. I had looked far and wide
for one for the last three years but never saw one available until then. And low and behold the carpet anemone was still there even though I was last in line:D
Here is a pic taken right after it found it's spot in the tank. It hasn't fully opened yet but it's a beast!
IMG_2868_zpsdbde7fa1.jpg~320x480

And here is a FTS. I can't wait till the red fully expands!
IMG_2475_zps2f968f8e.jpg~320x480

ok time for some full size pics. This is the red haddoni this morning. He is looking fuller although a good portion is laying in the rocks still so I still don't know how big he will eventually get at this point. it has hit 12" at this point :) posting pics from my phone keeps them small so here is some full size ones.

And the FTS again but bigger!

some of my mini maxis

And I am having some explosive sponge growth. the first pic is of a rock that is nearly covered in bright green sponge and it has spread to many rocks in the tank. with some nice size to some. i kinda want to add more sponge of different types. just a thought.

This guy is getting huge!! I think it's about 13-15" depending on how it's stretched out. It ate a 5" foxface after the foxface was was only in for a minute. The powder blue tang loves to get dangerously close to the carpet and taunt it:)
IMG_8611_zps7a480409.jpg~320x480

So its over two months later and I have added an electric green haddoni! And big red is... well big! I thought I might share a couple pics.

As well as the fact that I'm hatching cuttlefish. So far I've been feeding them live brine that have been fed zooplankton and phyto. Super cute lil guys I'll prolly start a thread soon. Here is a pic of the breeder setup

And a couple pics of the teeny tiny guys

I love your zenia man! I sooooo want to do a softy tank and aquascape with the stuff! ( don't know if you seen that 18inch long stick of tonga I had that housed about 200 zenia) tank looks great...and thats all that matters right!

I got the cuttlefish eggs from Dennys pet world. They didn't expect to have them and I bought them all. I have 5 that hatched and still alive. They are a bit cannibalistic when babies. And five more eggs to go:) And here is a pic of big red from today. 20" across or more!

do they graduate to ghost shrimp from live brine? i remember feeding being tough with them as a noob, but i ruled them out pretty quick for fear of noob water quality...

Back