Changing carbon and phosban

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would change carbon every two weeks. Phosban the same but you'd be safe at no more than a month.

2 weeks once..?

Ive always just changed it every two weeks. May be a bit of over kill but may not, there really isnt a way for us to test to see if its full. Good quality cabon and lots of it has always been my policy.

Phosban you can test to see if P is rising I guess. Its sort of expensive so I'd wait a little longer. I always found with my feeding habbits I had, three weeks was fine. Everyones will be different so Id do so testing.

Don

Let us talk about carbon --- a filter usually has a high flow rate --- it is special carbon that is treated under high temperatures --- many pores with a very large surface area.

More information --- > http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-filters.com/carbon-water-filter.php

"Carbon filters are most effective at removing chlorine, sediment, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from water. They are not effective at removing minerals, salts, and dissolved inorganic compounds."

taken from ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_filtering

Water flows around carbon --- the outer surface of the carbon has the most aerobic bacteria buildup in time --- the pores contain water with lower oxygen and harbor anaerobic bacteria --- ceramic rings and tubes with small holes do the same thing as does the good quality live rock in your tank.

It is not a no oxygen environment it is a low oxygen environment --- in a high oxygen environment aerobic bacteria are favored. There are many areas in your little tank environment that harbor anaerobic bacteria --- if there were only aerobic bacteria in the environment attempting to lower Nitrates would be futile.

There are other factors like PH and light that are beyond the scope here.

To fully use a good quantity of carbon takes time because of the massive surface area. IMHO two weeks for the first use because of the large amounts of VOC's that MAY be removed initially. Then after the environment is cleaner ----> 60-days is a good changing time frame --- I assume you keep a clean tank and use carbon for insurance and it's intended purpose.

OFM

Back