Chase Ojala's 30x30x18

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I didnt use any water from the live rock actually.. I didn't really think about it since there was all that die off on the bottom. Going to get a mag 9.5 right now. More pics soon.

Sorry forgot a pic of half the rock bucket.

IMAG0115.jpg

I swapped my xm 10k bulb for my phoenix 14k. Pics are with halide and x2 current usa led power bright blue strips. It is a little whiter in person.

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0140-1.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

Phoenix 14K for the win again!!!! :whoo:. Tank really looks great man!!! Great job!!! I'm jealous! :peace:

Thanks I bought the 10k and 2 14k's a year ago to swap between mass growth periods and color up. I really love the 14k look. Now if only i could upgrade my lighting to a 250w + 4x24 ati blue plus AND the leds for some sps. Oh well until then ill be Lps shopping.

Very nice. Like how you've done thr rock layout. Should look really nice when it is full of corals.

Are you not planning on SPS in this tank because no LEDs? You should be able to easily do any corals under the light you have.

Cheers,
Alex

Well i was planning on doing a few lower/med light sps on the top of the island and across on the high points. The light i have is a 150w Halide with only 8 1w led's.. Im worried about penetration and spread since its such a wide and deep tank. Right now im looking at 250w halides with the 4x24 t5 combo. Necessary or no for a 50/50 sps/lps tank?

You might have issues with bleaching corals with a 250 halide (IMO). If you decide to do a 250W, I'd recommend a pendant such as the Lumenmax Elite fixture and get yourself a nice lumatek dimmable ballast. That way you can dim the ballast and allow the corals to adjust to the brighter lighting.

Here's couple of links on what would work awesome for a 30"x30" cube for a 250W HQI set up.

Lumatek Electronic Multi-Wattge Ballast 150W - 175W - 250W - HQI - Metal Halide Ballasts - Barrier Reef Aquariums

LumenMax Elite - 250W HQI - Metal Halide Reflectors - Barrier Reef Aquariums

If you were closer to me, I'd bring over one of my IceCap 250 pendants for you to see how the 250HQI would light your tank up.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
You have me thinking of making a suspended hood and adding some 24'' t5's to my existing lighting.. Would you upgrade to the 250w of just keep 150w?

You have me thinking of making a suspended hood and adding some 24'' t5's to my existing lighting.. Would you upgrade to the 250w of just keep 150w?

I would use what you have and add either 2 to 4 24" T5's to the mix. See how you like it and if you think it still needs a bit more light, well then you could upgrade to the 250 pendant that I mentioned and still use the T5 for dawn dusk if you'd like. Just food for thought as you already have the 150 pendant.

Cheers,
Alex

Back