Chipped Glass Causing Tank Explosions/Cracks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bookofchange

I was reading a previous thread regarding people with chipped tanks, and how many have had no disasters at all. I'm curious. How many tanks have forum members lost to a chip or a scratch?

Wondering how common this actually is.

*knock on driftwood* ;)

Welcome to RF!!!!:D I had a 90gal that was bought brand new and didn't notice it had a chip on either end of the tank until it was up and I wasn't about to take it back down! The tank is setup in a friends house now and is about 3 years old and no leaks at all:)

I hope you enjoy it here:)

krish75 said:
Welcome to RF!!!!:D I had a 90gal that was bought brand new and didn't notice it had a chip on either end of the tank until it was up and I wasn't about to take it back down! The tank is setup in a friends house now and is about 3 years old and no leaks at all:)

I hope you enjoy it here:)

I'm a long time lurker and appreciator, but first time poster. I really wish I would have started contributing a year ago... so that others could have gotten to know me by now. :oops:

I've heard of the dangers of chips and dings, but I've yet to hear of a tank explosion due to a chip... the worst tank explo :shock: sion I read about involved a sleeping couch guest jerking and landing his foot into a sidetable tank!
:eek:

i think it might be a structural kinda thing

meaning, depending on whats and how the weight in the tank is dispersed thought out the tank,

(more weight in the center would effect a diffrent spot, then if it was dipersed diffrentyl)

copy?

like if you had a chip in a spot that was supporting more weight then another, that would in thery weaking the glass,

just like the old rolled up tube of paper with brick trick

just my stupid IMO

bookofchange said:
.... I really wish I would have started contributing a year ago... so that others could have gotten to know me by now.

Since you are in the Seattle area, come to the the next PSAS meeting. You can catch up fast.

Take a look at the Puget Sound Aquarium Society forum for more info.

burning2nd said:
i think it might be a structural kinda thing

meaning, depending on whats and how the weight in the tank is dispersed thought out the tank,

(more weight in the center would effect a diffrent spot, then if it was dipersed diffrentyl)

copy?

like if you had a chip in a spot that was supporting more weight then another, that would in thery weaking the glass,

just like the old rolled up tube of paper with brick trick

just my stupid IMO

:razz: Sure! I understand. I'm actually just polling for actual tanks that have structurally failed due to a chip or ding. I've not known anyone who's experienced this personally.

Thanks for the response!

dpaynter said:
Since you are in the Seattle area, come to the the next PSAS meeting. You can catch up fast.

Take a look at the Puget Sound Aquarium Society forum for more info.

:D I absolutely intend to do so. I emailed PSAS for due fees and am intending to become a member. I have friends who are members. Most of the LS shops we got to on a regular basis are sponsors of PSAS events and the forums too! I'm looking forward to meeting up and trading frags. We don't have anything rare, but we do have lots of star polyps... and a fox coral that will not quit. I like to collect mushrooms and cultivate mushroom rocks, have about 5 different colors, some trades... most just picked up out of $5-10 cast offs. Thanks for the personal invite. Much appreciated.

Welcome to RF!:D Glad to have you here

I would think it would have to be one pretty deep, large chip to significantly weaken the structual integrity of the glass pannel itself.

MikeS

MikeS said:
Welcome to RF!:D Glad to have you here

I would think it would have to be one pretty deep, large chip to significantly weaken the structual integrity of the glass pannel itself.

MikeS

Hah. So far, the chips causing cracks and exploding tanks appears to be a relatively rate occurance... noted by a lack of personal experiences being shared. ;)

Thanks for welcoming me to RF. I love it hear... been reading for a year now. Just decided to start posting regularly.

Nice to meet ya!

Nice to meet you too, glad you finally decided to join us...:D

If the chip was deep enough, it could possibly lead to a crack with the stress of the weight of the water on the glass...but that would be dependant on many things..ie the thickness of the glass, the pressure on that particular pannel, the depth of the chip, the location of the chip, ect....

MikeS

i had a small 30g one time w/ a good slice off of one of the corners..it never broke and never leaked

Welcome to RF!!!! I had a 90gal that was bought brand new and didn't notice it had a chip on either end of the tank until it was up and I wasn't about to take it back down! The tank is setup in a friends house now and is about 3 years old and no leaks at all

:lol: you gave it to a friend! Classic! :lol:

A straight deep scratch from the top edge down is a much bigger concern. Glass tends to open a fracture up along a "fault line." :eek: Think glass cutter, which creates a very small stress line with a shallow groove.

I've never had a chip run into a crack, though have had many badly chipped glass tanks. If the chip or scratch was not on the far side of the cement, as in the top edge near the middle of the tank, would be more of a concern. OMHO as a lifelong stained glass cutter and glass tank restorer:p

Back