New to the hobby, went overboard...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This is what happens when you are the greenest of rookies and you take the advice of very adamant hobbyists.

my first mentor was a guy named seth. I think his handle here was something like achadoochnuty achidouchie, or something. he actualy volunteered and served as the President of the PSAS at one time. but talk about an adamant opiioniated person who in the end.....really did know as much for certain as he came across. he was the king of providing google answers to posts here. When I post here on this forum I shouldn't have to tell everone I know how use a serach engine!

most of the REAL experienced reefers in the area don't even bother posting here much. They are too busy being enjoying their hobby and what works for them! trido is good example of that. and after looking at everone posting on this thread I would say you are lucky to have some real solid reefers following you!

While I agree that Google is a powerful tool, it also comes at a cost. I.E. your flow chart, vs Trido's flowchart. both of which contradict each other and can be found by Googling. The positive side of search engines is we find sites like this one where we can ask people such as yourself and others their thoughts, opinions and fact check based off what we found on the internet.

I Google things for a baseline, and then seek professional/expert help. The lives of my future fish depend on it

my first mentor was a guy named seth. I think his handle here was something like achadoochnuty achidouchie, or something. he actualy volunteered and served as the President of the PSAS at one time. but talk about an adamant opiioniated person who in the end.....really did know as much for certain as he came across. he was the king of providing google answers to posts here. When I post here on this forum I shouldn't have to tell everone I know how use a serach engine!

most of the REAL experienced reefers in the area don't even bother posting here much. They are too busy being enjoying their hobby and what works for them! trido is good example of that. and after looking at everone posting on this thread I would say you are lucky to have some real solid reefers following you!

I agree Trido is a very knowledgeable and experienced hobbyist. You are in good hands with him. I've been tagging along, just in case I have any different "opinions". lol! And actually learning something.

While I agree that Google is a powerful tool, it also comes at a cost. I.E. your flow chart, vs Trido's flowchart. both of which contradict each other and can be found by Googling. The positive side of search engines is we find sites like this one where we can ask people such as yourself and others their thoughts, opinions and fact check based off what we found on the internet.

I Google things for a baseline, and then seek professional/expert help. The lives of my future fish depend on it

I am confident you will do well with your aproach. most everone here you will encounter will off an open invite to veiw their set-ups and offer their rationale. my door is always open also. it would behove you to visit some members and get some real insight. "you don't know what you don't know".

you are more than welcome to come visit me. can give you quite a few different perspectives on the hobby and set ups as I have 4 display tanks set up. pretty much the same way, but with different equipment and different types of coral and fish.

I found the chart Kpiotrowski posted and didn't use it because I couldn't save it as a picture. I do agree that the one I posted it a bit underrated on the lowest ratings. They are comparable in the middle and high group although none of us really need the highest ratings because our pumps already have the sized inputs and outputs sized according to the flow they create. I would feel safe at 1500GPH with the overflow on this tank. A few years ago I set up a custom 180 with that size bulkhead and used a 2500 GPH Red Dragon pump for the return. It had to be choked back just a tiny bit and also pumped water over 20' from a remote tank room. Last year I helped set the same tank up for another person but cant remember the size of return pump we used. I'll text the owner tomorrow and get back to you if you are interested.

If you can, I also recommend external return pumps but that is just my preference. They are a bit louder but they last longer and don't add heat to the tank. Its also one less thing to get dirty in the sump.

Welcome aboard... Go big or Go home huh..?? Well looks like you did both lol. Awesome tank and can't wait to see the completed install. Sheesh, makes me want to upgrade to my 6ft tank sooner now. Cheers! :dance:

I 2nd trido on the external pumps for durabilty and actually if you are not careful to isolate a large sumbersible like a mag18 etc they can give off quite a hum. be carefull that the return plumbing does not come in contact with the stand or wood, walls etc. the virbration will quickly turn any surface into basically a loudspeaker and brodcast the hum of the pump. additionaly, pumps like the mag drive's are a little more tricky to get a good, solid, trustworthy connection to.

I 2nd trido on the external pumps for durabilty and actually if you are not careful to isolate a large sumbersible like a mag18 etc they can give off quite a hum. be carefull that the return plumbing does not come in contact with the stand or wood, walls etc. the virbration will quickly turn any surface into basically a loudspeaker and brodcast the hum of the pump. additionaly, pumps like the mag drive's are a little more tricky to get a good, solid, trustworthy connection to.

Do the larger Mag pumps come with the plate with the suction cups? If you do go internal and the pump comes with that plate, it can help alot to dampen the noise. I'm running a mag7 for my return, and when I saw the plate in the box it sure looked useless.. it wasn't a terrible hum or anything, but it is really much quieter with the plate under it. (I assume its more the suction cups than anything that dull the noise/vibration)

Do the larger Mag pumps come with the plate with the suction cups? If you do go internal and the pump comes with that plate, it can help alot to dampen the noise. I'm running a mag7 for my return, and when I saw the plate in the box it sure looked useless.. it wasn't a terrible hum or anything, but it is really much quieter with the plate under it. (I assume its more the suction cups than anything that dull the noise/vibration)

personaly I hate those and anyone can come get mine....have several. Dont get me wrong I would still use them to help silence!!! its just that its a pain to get them unstuck and pull the pump. but yes you def don't want to set any submersable pump directaly in the sump if you are striving for silence. for me I always found more of an issue with plumbing touching things....and glass sumps are way louder the aqrylic.

im using a internal pump in the sump due to space constraints and the fact that it would require a change in my entire sump design. which isn't really very good. but again...money.

I am confident you will do well with your aproach. most everone here you will encounter will off an open invite to veiw their set-ups and offer their rationale. my door is always open also. it would behove you to visit some members and get some real insight. "you don't know what you don't know".

+1
Even though I'm a real long drive away, you would be welcome to checkout my tanks.

I'd love to see some people's setups...I dream every day of what my next setup will be...and im not even done with it!!!

If you want, you can also come to my house. My tank is a built-in like yours so you might get some ideas to help you along.

Today my contractor finished up all the pending stuff. going to finish with plumbing tomorrow and on Monday, doing a freshwater test run

20140315_211717.jpg
20140315_211759.jpg

One from each side of the tank. Finished and ready to rock for Monday.

Back