New to the hobby, went overboard...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks, looking real fancy!

not to be too critical...and I am lazy, but how is maintiance going to be getting to the bottom of the tank through those doors?

ill just throw a million snails in there... :badgrin:

In all seriousness I can reach everywhere with much stretching and some minor pain. :)

didn't you say this is a fowlr? cant have any of those fancy triggers or puffers with snails. well you can...at least the fish will love the treats!

Not planning on having any Triggers or puffers. Mostly Wrasses, tangs and some shoaling thingies...maybe a random Angelfish. I'm not really a fan of Triggers, puffers/tobies are cool

I still need to finish my research on fish. I see-saw a lot on what i want. I have a thing for really striking looking wrasses.
Ive been eyeballing the following:

Vrolik's Wrasse, Male - Halichoeres chrysotaenia
Grey Head Wrasse - Halichoeres leucurus
Green Wrasse - Halichoeres chloropterus
Melanurus Wrasse - Halichoeres melanurus

Will these eat turbo snails?

I am hopeful these will be some of the first friends to join my ocean... from what I've gathered they all relatively peaceful, decently hardy and get along well with each other. (statistically?)

probably follow it or even proceed it with some blue/green Chromis and some Anthias. I kinda dig fish that shoal.

I was also considering adding a D. Sailfin, hippo tang and possibly a blue lined or blue faced Angelfish...if i can find one with a decent temperament.

alot of wrassse and angels are not very reef safe.

I am also I big fan of large shoals. many people will tell you throw 50 chromis in a tank and in 6 months you will have one left.( the winner) never would have belived it but have tried it on 2 tanks so far and guess what....I got one left!

my most memorable tanks back in freshwater had large schools/shoals.

well i don't plan on having this tank be a reef tank, so wrasse selection boils down to temperament, will they eat my crabs/snails and ease of care. As for the Chromis, were you using them to cycle the tanks? or do they just suck that bad at living? Im not a fan of things dying all the time. Reef tank #2 down the road. FOWLR first, then i'll build another.

I have started planning my reef tank already though!

Nice! I envy you that you will have such a nice fowlr AND a reef tank! As for cylcing my tanks,lol, read my build thread http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads/66360-kpiotrowski-s-300DD I'm the guy who cyled by peeing in my tank! That and bacteria in a bottle.

Can't wait to see you choices shoal/school. will be living vicariously here!

what are your thoughts on Selene vomer... "lookdowns"? not cheap, not colorfull, but def amazing in a school!

my banner fish stay pretty close and really "fill" the tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk79lQimC_Q&list=UUP_0AzV8Tr4wOJbJ1Yzfu9A

I've never really had an issue of blue chromis fighting each other, I just always assume half of what I add will commit suicide. The new ones are always skittish and decide to run into an anemone or powerhead.

I doubt my Skimmer could handle the bio-load that Look Down's would put on my system. As I previously mentioned...my skimmer is of questionable quality and I don't want to push it too hard.

In the future, when I add a second sump, and a second skimmer...(like in a year) depending on my stock level at that time I may consider them. but right now they are probably too big.

I did recently discover Microcanthus strigatus, Australian Stripey's...what a cool looking fish. They school. and they may be a good alternative to look downs in terms of cool factor.

@Trido, Thanks!

FWIW, corals don't add to your bioload making your skimmer work harder. Fish and the food you give them is what requires us to use skimmers.

@Trido,

I had a suspicion that was the case, however my lighting would require extensive upgrades to do corals(I think). I don't think my wife could handle another $$$ hit like that.

I am currently using 2 Current USA ORBIT Marine 36" 36w LED banks. I'm pretty sure those are not very good for corals. Also my tank is deep...so, not sure if they would give the needed sand level lighting.

Nice! I envy you that you will have such a nice fowlr AND a reef tank! As for cylcing my tanks,lol, read my build thread http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads/66360-kpiotrowski-s-300DD I'm the guy who cyled by peeing in my tank! That and bacteria in a bottle.

Can't wait to see you choices shoal/school. will be living vicariously here!

what are your thoughts on Selene vomer... "lookdowns"? not cheap, not colorfull, but def amazing in a school!

my banner fish stay pretty close and really "fill" the tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk79lQimC_Q&list=UUP_0AzV8Tr4wOJbJ1Yzfu9A

Also...WOW, just wow on the bannerfish...well on the whole tank! but those banners....look FANTASTIC!!!!

@Trido,

I had a suspicion that was the case, however my lighting would require extensive upgrades to do corals(I think). I don't think my wife could handle another $$$ hit like that.

I am currently using 2 Current USA ORBIT Marine 36" 36w LED banks. I'm pretty sure those are not very good for corals. Also my tank is deep...so, not sure if they would give the needed sand level lighting.

You are correct about your lighting. Great tanks take time.

Also...WOW, just wow on the bannerfish...well on the whole tank! but those banners....look FANTASTIC!!!!

Thanks! I lost alot of coral in my 120g when an 11 inch long tentacle plate went RTN and all coral responded, so didn't have much to transfer....and am letting tank mature before any major coral additions.

I aprreciate your reservations...it is hard sometimes and that hold true for ALL of us. lots of money, lots of time, lots of heartache....but we are all STILL HERE!

:welcome: to club!

DSC06372.jpg
DSC06373.jpg

Rock and sand Added. Got a leak in my bulkhead i got to figure out though...

Last edited:
Back