Clams under PC's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
i'm thinking of downsizing my reef, making my current one a FO and then making a 20g long reef, probably going to use the 2x65 pc sort of fixture, maybe a 175 watt MH, but what kind of clams can you keep in a 20g long, i ask this cause they're shorter then most tanks and i will be using a sand bed of at least an inch or two allowing the clams to be there and closer to the light, i'm trying to decide on how i want to plan the tank

If you'd like to attempt to keep a clam under PC's, I'd recommend T Derasa...I have one that has thrived under my PC/VHO combo, it was scarecly larger than a grape when I got it many years ago, now it's a monster, it's huge...and LFS in my home town also has a monster T derasa growen under PC's....they seem to be able to adapt well to many different light setups. For other species, however, you would be better off with a MH setup....

MikeS

I had a friend keep a 3" blue T. crocea in a 20g high under two 65watt Pc's for about a year. It grew slowly, but kept all its color. He had it on LR 6" from the top. He ended up selling the entire setup so I have no idea what happened after that first year. He was meticulous about water quality, but no special feeding was offered to the clam. Just one success story. Good luck.

alright thanks for the thoughts, i don't remember off hand, what requires more light, crocea or maxima, then i know gigas, derasa and squamosa generally need less light then those to, and then hippomus i think needs least of all them, this tank isnt' even set up yet, so this may be awhile

here my clam and it under 220w vho and 4 65w pc:D i didn't even know what kind of clam it was:oops: hopefully someone could tell me what kind off clam it is:D

how far from light tony? any other feeding?
o and did you have under both at the same time, or at different times?

Last edited:
MarineTeng said:
how far from light tony? any other feeding?
o and did you have under both at the same time, or at different times?

sorry it took long,but i had both light setup before i had the clam,the clam is on the bottom sitting on the sand.
then again my tank is not that deep it only 17" deep and the light are about 6inches above the water.and the only thing i feed it is dt.:D

Back