Cleaning magnets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
I currently have a 2" x 3" Mag float for my 90 gal All Glass tank. I'm not that crazy about it. I've had it for about a month and a half. Part of the black material is peeling off and streaking the outside of my tank. Is there a kick a$$ magnet anyone can recommend??

:oops::oops::oops:

I recommend the Hammerhead, there are none better, replacement pads are available, (for either glass or plexi, if you ever come to your senses and go plexi ;-)) , you can easily change over without by a different scraper) it's well made and the last one you will ever need to buy unless you get a really thick aquarium, (they do have more powerful models for thicker glass/plexi)) I bought a mag first myself to save a few bucks, what a piece of junk, it is gathering dust amongst my pack rat items. They are $69.95 @ Marine Depot http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~maintenance_algae_magnet_cleaners.html
I'm not plugging Marine Depot, just giving you a place with more info, you might save a couple of bucks by looking around, probably $100.00 + if you go LFS.
You could get by with the $44.95 pirhana, but I like the extra oomph for tougher algaes, plus it gives you the option of using it on a thicker tank if you ever upgrade.

Last edited:
On the outside of the glass tank with cleaning magnets in put a white wash cloth. It help keep the salt for smudging the glass

Easy Blade

I'm also looking at getting a more powerful cleaning magnet for my tank with 1/2" glass. I've got a MagFloat 350 right now. Following the link to the Hammerhead at MarineDepot led me to this product, the Easy Blade (sorta sounds like a product name you would see on a late night infomercial :lol:).

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~AF1313.html

Has anyone used this product? Is it any good?

Thanks,

Paul

I have two that i use. One is a large mag float and the other is an old one that sinks. I like the old one that sinks better because it has a handle that is in the center. This allows me to get into the corners without banging my fingers on my wood framing. I like the idea of the Easy Blade for getting near the sand bed without getting sand in the Velcro of the cleaner block.

I've used the easy blade with a hammerhead and they work great. The only downside is that with the attachment glued on, you won't be able to go around corners as easily without manually moving the inner magnet to the next pane of glass. Oh my it is nice to remove coralline and hard spots without getting the whole arm wet though! The gravel line is a snap with one also.

A piece of pvc with a slit cut in the end for a razor blade works great and is cheap. ;)

Back