PEPPIE's New 120 Acrylic Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The only thing you can see going on in my shop lately is *******s and elbows. LOL
Would like to have this tank welded up by the end of the day on Friday. Then the build will slow down a bit.
Going to Cozumel for a diving vacation next week. Then I need to start planning plumbing, over flows, closed loop, drilling holes. ect

Looks Good Peppie! Dive trips to Cozumel do not make for good excuses on tank delays.

Looks Good Peppie! Dive trips to Cozumel do not make for good excuses on tank delays.

yeah, we got a little time to hijack this thread if we like. I bit of a welcome back present for the man....if he survives the night dives and giant squid!

and....the GIANT groupers!........and hammerheads......and maybe the triggerfish will kick in too! LOL

Been back from vacation for a few weeks. It was a great trip. Logged in 15 dives, a couple were 120' +.

Back to the build.
With the stand being 40'' X 30'' X 42'' tall, space is very limited for a Ocean Motions. So to make sure it will fit within the space I have done a moch up of the tank.
Now that I know it will fit, I will drill the bottom of the tank and get it welded to the sides.
Here are a few pics. Not all the rock work is included in the pics, and the plumbing coming out of the bottom will be tweeked a bit. Some of the heights of the nozzles will be adjusted in the final assembly

Looks like some serious movement there! What are the coral plans? Mixed? Sps? Lps? Softies?

Yea tike. There will be 3600 gph from the closed loop, and about 750gph from the return pump.
It will be mixed, with a low to med. bio load from a few fish.

Gonna have to see this one in person.

I see a road trip in my immediate future.

You will get to see bits and pieces. LOL
We should save some time to shoot over to Kevin P. and have a looks see at his monster system. He lives about 5 min. away. I think he may be here when we are repairing the sump

Pep,
Why is one panel of your OFB clear? Do you want to see what fish went over? I was a little let down on how you cut your teeth. Do you get any chip out with your dado set? I figured you have some fancy jig to cut them on the router table. Jason

Pep,
Why is one panel of your OFB clear? Do you want to see what fish went over? I was a little let down on how you cut your teeth. Do you get any chip out with your dado set? I figured you have some fancy jig to cut them on the router table. Jason

Most of the over flow box will be covered in rock. The clear panels face the back of the tank. You wont be able to see any of the clear panels. I built the OF with the scrap I had on hand.
No chip out on the teeth. The trick is to sandwich the acrylic between 2 pieces of wood. It backs the acrylic and prevents chipping.

I have a question for you, looking at your pvc project, as something came up when I plumbed my closed loop plumbing on my 233.
Are you going to use a purple primer, or a clear primer, like I did?

I have a question for you, looking at your pvc project, as something came up when I plumbed my closed loop plumbing on my 233.
Are you going to use a purple primer, or a clear primer, like I did?

I dont plan on it. Some of the glues do not require primer. I think if the system was going to be sealed under pressure I would rethink that. All our reef systems are open and not under pressure.

Here is something ya may never see in an average system build.
I need to hide my CL drain. Along with a tall CL outlet.
I had a 16'' section of 10'' diam acrylic tube laying around and thought it just might work.
I cut it to fit in the corner. Then I cut slots in it to help ziptie rocks to it. The slots will also aid in the water flowing thru it on its way to the drain.
any way this is what I came up with. You just have to imagine it covered in rock!! LOL

Have I been missing that long that Peppie went and got a new name on me??:twitch:. Tagging along and enjoying the build so far :)

Back