Closed loop/return advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefferMan

Fish out of water
OK fellow reefers, I bought this tank, built my house around it, and I'm really confused as to why the original owner drilled two 1 1/2" holes and two 1" holes in the back of the overflow boxes.

Is this just so you can't see the drilled holes?

Can I use the two 1 1/2" holes for the closed loop system?
Will it negatively affect the overflow box functionality?

Please see the attached thumbnails. A couple more plumbing questions are included in one of the images.

Thanks fellow reefers

my answers to the questions on your pic

1. hole size, whatever size the hose you are going to use will fit snugly in. If you stick a short piece of hose with a little valve on it you can control the airflow. It doesnt always make a difference on dursos.....but sometimes it does to reduce noise and gurgling

2. dont glue any part of that durso. It should slide with at least a couple inches of play so you can play with the water height to make it as quiet as possible while still dropping enough to not affect the surface skimming ability.

holes in the back of the overflows. Im assumning the smaller holes are for the sump returns....

the bigger ones i have no idea unless he was feeding a CLS.......and bringing the returns over the top for it. Personally, I would plug them. You dont want a CLS infeed coming from your overflow anyway. That is water that has been skimmed from the surface and should go to the skimmer....not be recirculated through the tank. The placement of them is ok...if there wasnt a overflow box on the tank side. LOL If you are going to install a cls....move each of them towards the center. The height is good......just place them wherever you can access them easiest enough to clean the intake screens every so often or if needed.

hth
edfit...in looking at the pic closer i take back my statement saying the height is good for the cls intakes......id move them up a few inches, especially if you have a DSB. You want to be able to reach the screens.........

Last edited:
The smaller holes are not for the sump return. The overflow boxes also have to holes on the bottom a 1 1/2 " and a 1". I think the previous owner drilled all the back holes in the overflow and had the 1" running through a UV.

So would it be best to plug all those holes and drill one 1 1/2" hole in the middle back of the aquarium at the same height?

Is there a purpose for drilling two holes instead of one, benefit?

Thanks for your advise.

So would it be best to plug all those holes and drill one 1 1/2" hole in the middle back of the aquarium at the same height?

Is there a purpose for drilling two holes instead of one, benefit?

Thanks for your advise.

There IS a benefit to two holes. Less suction, lots of water supply to the cls pump. How big is that tank?? Do you know what CLS pump you are planning on?? This couold affect how exactly you T them together.

regardless of the above answers, drill two bulkheads and cover them with these

http://www.spacare.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3796

they are by far the best option for intake screens IMO. they come with a 1.5" MPT fitting to screw into a 1.5" bulkhead. It doesnt show it but trust me...they do. they are super low profile and only stick out 1/2", cant hardly see them and they can handle 4800 gph apiece. By using two of them pretty much any CLS pump you use will not create so much suction that critters/fish get stuck against their will and die.

see my edit above...i changed my mind when i said they were the right height after looking at your pic a little closer :)

We might sell the baracudas and get a dart for the sump return and hammerhead for the CLS. Any thoughts on that?

So 2 barracudas??

I would seriously rethink that and step up to at least a Hammerhead for the cls.

for the sump return....why so big of a pump?? There is no value to moving any more water by your skimmer than it can process. The goal is sending as little unskimmed water back to the tank as possible. skimming 100% is of course unrealistic, but if you match them up you are at least making the effort.

I use a Hammerhead for the cls on my 90 and my 225.

i was typing as you posted that last one......

ya to the hammerhead for the cls and dart for the return. The dart is perfect. Quiet, doenst use much electricty, especially when you taper it back to match your skimmer ;)

We just got a good deal on the baracudas and ended up with three of them. So we will definately heed your advise on the pumps and holes.

What's the best way to T off the two CLS holes?

With the hammerhead you can just simply take it into a 1.5" T and then to the pump. Try to set it up so there arent any 90's within 5-6 inches of the pumps intake. It will make it easier on the pump.

here is my 225.....you can ignore the OM crap but just look at the bulkheads coming out of the back center of the tank........yours will be more or less the same...all 1.5"

225plumbingback-1.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures to show where we came from and where we're going...

Guess the wall color... coral cliche LOL :)

Very nice, so do you just use the OM for your CLS?

How many CL returns should I have? I only have two sea swirls on the front right now. Should I drill more holes? If yes, where? More sea swirls?

Very nice, so do you just use the OM for your CLS?

How many CL returns should I have? I only have two sea swirls on the front right now. Should I drill more holes? If yes, where? More sea swirls?

om just for the cls yes. I use the same 8 way and pump on my 90......it was interesting fitting it all in.

Honestly, with that SWEET room and in wall system. Lose the seaswirls and buy an OM 8-way. I would suggest that for any cls system as it is the best......but with what you have to work with there might as well not settle for less. jmo

Back