closed loop vs tunze PH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

So I am debating between doing a closed loop with a OM 4 way ran by a 5800gph pump as well as a 4way on my return (3000gph) but I dont know if I want to deal with plumbing expences and problems as well as the cost to tun the large pumps.

cost wise is it worth the major purchase cost of the Tunze Powerheads with the controllers for water flow in a 72''x36''x24'' sps reef?

bottom line is I want the best water flow possible but i also want it to be simple and cheap to run.

Thanks for any good Ideas...

Matt

Definatly power heads. They may be ugly but you can't get easier. The "random" flow also seems to grow corals faster and eliminates all those detritus piles.

Don

I totally agree with Don!! Mat the is the same size tank as mines. You are welcome over to check out how I have mines set up. I have 2 vortechs and 3 Tunze 6101, 6100 and a 6060. With the return I have around 16000GPH in the DT. The things I like about how I set up is that you can move the PH around as your tank matures vrs. a fixed closed loop system. IMHO it is way cheaper to do PH vrs. closed loop in the long run. Also to add to this you won't have to listen to the humming sound of your closed loop pump in your living area.

I am open to suggestions and links to wave makers and tunze powerheads, or other similar. I dont want cheap knock offs that wont last. I am looking to do this right...

post up some links whoever has knoledge to share on this...

Thanks
Matt

I went with vortech myself. I have one and am getting another soon. I got in on a group buy on the first and the second one will be another great deal. If you went with 4 6125's and a 7095 controller, that would be plenty of flow. You could also go with the 6105's for controllable flow. Whatever you choose, make sure it's ph's. Much more flexibility for future changes.

Either CL or PH will work great. Sometimes you can't beat a combination. Don and Sarang make great points about PH but I would say there is a time and place for CL's too. I would skip the Ocean Motion though. Ask Jason at CFI about all his troubles with them. If you want variance with CL returns use Wavy Seas. For PH both Tunzes and Vortechs would be my top choices.

Either CL or PH will work great. Sometimes you can't beat a combination. Don and Sarang make great points about PH but I would say there is a time and place for CL's too. I would skip the Ocean Motion though. Ask Jason at CFI about all his troubles with them. If you want variance with CL returns use Wavy Seas. For PH both Tunzes and Vortechs would be my top choices.

Basically I have to agree with this one, I've had both & combinations of both I liked best. Make the CL simple with wavy seas & Tunze opposing each other for a more randomized flow throughout the tank, you can use the magnets to hold them in place, which I think is way better than the hanging brackets they come with.

My biggest issue with the vortec is the cost. They have the cool battery backup feature that sounds good in theory but does not perform oxygen exchange well at all in the event of a power failure due to their compact design. The tunzes or even koralia can be placed much higher in the water column to so they can pull water off the surface to provide much better oxygen exchange. The power head design also gives much more freedom to direct the flow.

Don

Back