Closed Loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey how about those balls? lol

If you are running more then 2 to 3 times turnover of the rating of your skimmer through your sump without recirculating it you are wasting energy and your skimmer is almost worthless.

Oh yeah Michael Jackson is not dead, he was spotted at a Buick dealership with Elvis yesterday

so if my skimmer is ratted 350G (SWC 250) heavy bio load
and I have 160 gallons with a heavy bio load?
What should the turnover be in the sump.?!?

If you are running more then 2 to 3 times turnover of the rating of your skimmer through your sump without recirculating it you are wasting energy and your skimmer is almost worthless.

Let's rephrase this.

Providing you have surface water moving toward the overflow box, then the sump turnover rate needs to be no more than 2x.

There's also some differences in that "formula" between becketts / downdraft skimmers and the needlewheel / venturi skimmers. I'm sure having a recirculating type would also change things as well for a monsterskimmer like your recirculating quad beckett and whatnot. Too many variables to determine a firm "if you have X, then you should do Y" type equation unless you set one up for each situation or different equipment combination. I don't even want to try to figure that part out, although it would be a good discussion! I did the same research into my system, but what holds true for my system's sump flow rate with my skimmers / drain plumbing / return doesn't hold true for your system with the under-tank sump and different style skimmer.

There's also some differences in that "formula" between becketts / downdraft skimmers and the needlewheel / venturi skimmers. I'm sure having a recirculating type would also change things as well for a monsterskimmer like your recirculating quad beckett and whatnot. Too many variables to determine a firm "if you have X, then you should do Y" type equation unless you set one up for each situation or different equipment combination. I don't even want to try to figure that part out, although it would be a good discussion! I did the same research into my system, but what holds true for my system's sump flow rate with my skimmers / drain plumbing / return doesn't hold true for your system with the under-tank sump and different style skimmer.

shhhhhhhhh I dont have monster skimmer, I think I lost it ha ha ha.

I just wish you found out a few days later that you weren't really about to kick the bucket, I was going to buy that monstrosity from you when it was up for sale :badgrin:

yeah mine is just a melting pot and I really don't know what I am talking about so the growth I get is just pure dumb luck before they die
No I was saying I don't have anything really good LOL
only three crappy chalices and a few sps. And they are all frags.
I do have a few nice zoo's but who likes those anymore??:D

Wow. Did we really just whine, complain, and argue this into a 10 page thread in the course of an afternoon / evening? I nominate Salty for the "Most Contentious Posting" award for October :lol:

Back