Coming Soon 850 gallons

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BMWX5

My girlfriend and I have decided to have a 850 gallon tank built and mount it in the wall. We got the idea from oregonreef.com (Steve's website).

84w X 84d X 28h

We changed it to be more of a cube and not as deep. We have heard that a 30 deep is too deep for normal people. My girlfriend has short arms.

We have decided to make it a mixed reef. Whatever we can grow in it that makes it. softies, lps and sps. Although I do not see much SPS. yes the SPS look great however we both like to watch things move and blow around.

As soon as the manufacture gets started on the tank we will be posting pictures. Until then stand by for Equipment pictures.

A true Texan.....go big or go home! Sounds like it is going to be a great project and I am very excited to see how it develops as I have been bitten by the LPS/softy bug myself after years of SPS. Do keep us posted.

wow!!!850 gals is the great size to have and cube,,,yeah it 's going to be a nice tank for sure ,i saw how is steve weast tank's look like in person,i 'm going to tacking along your project here:)

Nice sized tank.....I have to disagree with you on the height though. While it is true that some folks might struggle reaching every inch of the tank that is 30" or higher ......I always found the overall aspect ratio aesthetics to be more important. IMO...as tanks get wider......the height should get taller to maintain a pleasing aspect ratio.......otherwise is starts looking like a long sliver (especially in built-in situations where there tends to be wall trim that further crops the viewing area).

My next tank will be in the 48 " or taller range. I just plan to raise the reef with rock and not place anything that needs attention below the 30" depth......the sand can always be maintained with tools. Anyway.....looks like a great project.

Last edited:
Nice sized tank.....I have to disagree with you on the height though. While it is true that some folks might struggle reaching every inch of the tank that is 30" or higher ......I always found the overall aspect ratio aesthetics to be more important. IMO...as tanks get wider......the height should get taller to maintain a pleasing aspect ratio.......otherwise is starts looking like a long sliver (especially in built-in situations where there tends to be wall trim that further crops the viewing area).

My next tank will be in the 48 " or taller range. I just plan to raise the reef with rock and not place anything that needs attention below the 30" depth......the sand can always be maintained with tools. Anyway.....looks like a great project.

48" or taller ,i am a deep tank fan:),wow!!i just can't wait to see your also,,and glad to see you here.

I'm here everyday Dang.....just rarely post. I am thinking about coming to the Jan meeting of PSAS though and tie it into a dive trip. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Another thing to consider about your dimensions......my tank was 6 ft wide.....which meant that I could reach everywhere from one side or the other. At 84" wide, I think you'll find that you will not be able to reach the center 12" or so. You could solve this though by just not having anything in that blind spot....like I did with the central canyon.

WOW....three posts in one day.....I'm exhausted....Dang, how do you do it ?

Hey, who is building the tank for you? is it glass or acrylic? shoot me a pm and I would love to give you a quote on it in acrylic.

Cheers!
Matt

I'm here everyday Dang.....just rarely post. I am thinking about coming to the Jan meeting of PSAS though and tie it into a dive trip. Perhaps I'll see you there.
Dang is doing fine ,,,things is keep on growing,,your Oregon tort almost surfacing ,,still slow growing just can keep up with everythingelses already get to the open air..j/b:)
yes,,just give a call ,i am plan to the Jan meeting too..see you then.

BMWX5,,keep on updating you got me exciting now.

Last edited:
BMWX5,

First, welcome to RF.

Second, looking forward to follow the build thread.

By the way, if you are still deciding on a builder for your tank, I have to give two thumbs up to Jason and Matt at CFI. Jason build my entire 375g tank and setup. Absolutely the best built acrylic tank. The craftsmanship is exemplary.

If you need more testimony, send me a PM.

Kirk

BMWX5,

I too was insired by Steve's tank, but will be doing a 450 dt (6' x 4' x 32"). I'll be tagging along for this one for sure. Oh by the way, any girlfriend that's interested in you building a 850 gallon tank is a keeper. ;)

Sweet, whats a price on a 96x36x30? Do you do side work? Can we talk on the phone? I'm in Auburn. 253-381-5621

if we hadn't gotten a good deal on our 109x48x36 i would definitely go with a much deeper tank, but the tangs appreciate swimming room..

Back