Coralife Skimmer Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Adam29c

I have mine in the sump. It only seems to work properly when the water level is higher (almost too high). When it is there are tons of bubbles & it pulls some nasty stuff. Im just wondering if this is normal. It is a constant battle trying to keep the water level where it work proberly. As soon as the level goes down (about 24-48 hours) the bubbles do not form & nothing comes out of the top to be skimmed.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

well, first off, any in sump skimmer really wants an ATO to maintain the exact water level it requires, or at least for you to draw a line on the sump for water level and put in top off water every day to maintain it.

second, that skimmer is shyte... and infamous for being unstable even with maintaining an exact water level within the sump...
i might suggest you replace it with a better skimmer...
there's plenty of inexpensive skimmers that work well...
for instance:
http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/...B866DA04EE9882D37C4.qscstrfrnt01?productId=55

Thanks! Im starting to realize its not the best one out there...

If I added an air pump would that help any???

Last edited:
Where should the water line be on most skimmers? an average water level? I've noticed the same thing.

Where should the water line be on most skimmers? an average water level? I've noticed the same thing.

The optimal depth of water, for each manufacturer and model of skimmer, varies quite a bit, depending om manufacturer and model. Some work best in 6"-7" of water, while others work best at 11" of water, while other work best at 9" of water.

Your best bet would be to give Mark an idea of what skimmer you're wondering about and he can give you the best advise, for that particular skimmer.

Well I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm running a vertex100, and latley it's been producing very little in the cup, it generaly sits in 5"-6" of water. I've cleaned it two times this summer. Adam29C how deep of water are you running yours?

hey the coral life skimmers are good Ozone reactors. other then that like Skimmy stated they are junk way over rated by the box standards. being 100 gal system means 40 at best. and it is still cramp. but if you go with ozone thwy are great for that as you will want a skimmer use with it duel skimmers for ozone cheap and can toss it away with out really hurting the wallet. lots of good skimmers on the market from every price range swc , vertex, reefoctopus, bubblemagnas even Avastmarine makes a good skimmer for cheap

Mine sits at least 5" up to 8"+. It seems to work best in the 7-8" range. It does pull some junk out so that means it IS working correct??? Everyone inside seems healthy but I do have a hair algae issue. At least I think its hair algae... I do have high phosphates. No wories at all about hijacking. We are all hear to learn. Just very costly lessons. HAHA!

i would purchase a different skimmer like everyone has stated.

capdippe- have you adjusted the water level inside the skimmer.?

hahah sorry, I know how to change the water level. What I don't know is where it should be at. I place the water/bubble line at the bottom of the collection cup.

hahah sorry, I know how to change the water level. What I don't know is where it should be at. I place the water/bubble line at the bottom of the collection cup.

well, that's kind of subjective...
ultimately the level in the skimmer should be wherever
you are getting skimmate in the cup everyday...
each skimmer is different...
weaker skimmers will want the water level maybe half way up the collection cup, while stronger/modern skimmers with pinwheels and bubble plates will probably want the water level down at the bottom of the collection cup, or even at the top of the reaction chamber...
it really depends upon how much gph of water and lph of air injection is going through what size reaction chamber and neck... some skimmer designs are well thought out, others look like they were made by monkeys...so it's very individual.

My corallife 220 had a hang on bracket. I found that I worked best if I kept my in sump water level up near the bracket.

Back