Crazy blue zoo prices

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pentagona

Snail Turd
Just an FYI I just bought a rock with about 20 Tubbs Blue Zoos on it from Blue Sierra for $25! They've got a bunch left, and a bunch of what I believe are tidal something or other blue Paly's that I've seen locally going for $50 per polyp. They've got good sized colonies of them for $59-$79.

these are true tubbs blues..

Attachments

• feb13 005.jpg
    feb13 005.jpg
    32.9 KB
There are other blues out there that aren't considered Tubbs, but are just as nice or even nicer (IMO) that don't have such a high price tag. Here is a pic of our blues and they didn't cost nearly as much...
bluesandneonblues.JPG

coolzoashot2.jpg

There are other blues out there that aren't considered Tubbs, but are just as nice or even nicer (IMO) that don't have such a high price tag. Here is a pic of our blues and they didn't cost nearly as much...
bluesandneonblues.JPG

coolzoashot2.jpg

I agree with you 100%, buy if you hang a sign that says tubb's zoas then they better be aquaculture. Otherwise, sell them as blue zoas.

I can tell you that they are not the actual aquacultured tubbs, but for color reference sake they are "tubbs blues". Get what I mean? Sorry about the crappy pic, was in a hurry last night.

photo.jpg

So, if we're going to get particular and say that they're not tubbs blues because they aren't aquacultured from the man himself, does that mean that once I grow the colony out and begin to frag it I can call them Double J's Blues and command a $25 per polyp price tag for them? Do they revert back to being Tubbs because they're then being sold as aquacultured? Or do we use the Tubbs name in association more with color?

Sorry, this is just a little pet pieve of mine when it comes to coral naming. I can totally understand strict standards when selling things like Tyree corals because it's an aquacultured "collection" of premium stuff, or again with ORA stuff. But when it comes to naming a single coloration or morph of something like zoanthids, don't we usually associate the name with that particular color morph? Are my Lunar Eclipses not "true" Lunars because they didn't come from the sun? Or my purple people eaters because they weren't aquacultured by the boogey man? Sorry for the rant, guess I'm in a bad mood today. :)

Keep in mind that Tubbs are no different than Tyree or ORA. Tyree LE corals were named by Steve Tyree, Tubbs has several corals that he named, not just the Tubbs Blue Zoanthids. "Tubbs" is a trade name, which these particular zoanthids are sold as.

So let's say, in the future, you found a "new" coral and named it Pentagona Polyps. You spend your own time and money to aqua-culture and market this coral. Over a period of years, this coral develops into one that's known for holding up to different captive tank environments, ships well and holds true to it's color. This coral became famous throughout the world, like Tyree LE, ORA and Tubbs. Along comes a guy who, while diving, finds a coral that looks like Pentagona Polyps. He harvests it from the wild, chops it up and sells it as Pentagona Polyps, on Ebay. This wild colony hasn't proven itself to hold it's color, ship well or hold up to different captive tank lighting or parameters. Yet, this guy is selling them AS Pentagona Polyps and making bank. Do you see a problem with this scenario?

I get your point, totally, like I said, I guess I'm just in a bad mood today. BTW what other items does Tubbs aquaculture? I've never heard the name associated with anything but Zoos?

Back