CURING LR

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Marty1971

hey all,
I know there a section somewhere in regards to curing LR? Do you need a skimmer right away, I have heard that it would be useless because it would just fill the cup up right away and you should wait till after it starts its cycle. This correct?

I would put a skimmer on it and simply open the output all the way to start. If you're still overflowing the cup with the valve all the way open then I'd just turn it off and try again in a week. Once you can adjust the skimmer so that it's producing real skimmate I'd run it 24/7 on that batch of rock. Not necessary but that's what I'd do.

Mike

I agree I would start running it about a week after you start to begin leveling out your tank from the curing proccess. But if you do'nt have one it will not hurt anything not to run a skimmer.

Steve

skimmer is nice to have, but not required..not having a skimmer, means you have to do more frequent water changes.

skimmer is nice to have, but not required..not having a skimmer, means you have to do more frequent water changes.

I'm with Kirk 100%. I would definately use the skimmer if you have one. The purpose of "curing" the rock is to remove any of the dead or dying organisms, organic matter etc from the rock and what better way to do this than with a skimmer or frequent water changes as Kirk suggested. :)

Last edited:
I disagree slightly only in method. (Not saying they are wrong by any means.) I would get a skimmer on there ASAP as well as decent flow to make sure you keep and remove all dead protein. Either way works...many methods in the madness.

Back