dd911's 40B Project...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dailydriven911

sps addict
Okay so I just can't shake this reef addiction! Not having a tank really bums me out! Over the last couple weeks I have started plans for a 40g breeder. After seeing Roscoe's 40b many times I must admit I really like the dims of this tank. So I had an extra snake cage laying around that I was able to sell for the price of a new 40b. So since we are going to be in our condo for awhile because of the economy, it's time to start another project. I'm going to take some time with this one for sure. I would like to thank everyone here for the ecouragement and inspiration to do this. Matts125 and Roscoe will be helping me with the majority of this build. Matt will be building my sump/refugium and helping me with the pluming and design. Roscoe is going to help with the drilling and overall thought process and more I'm sure.:) Here is what I have and what I'm working on...Bold represents what I currently have...

Tank: 40b 36x18x16
Stand: 38x20x32 painted Black
Sump/refugium:28x16x16 *tbd
Lighting: *tbd
Flow: return, plus 1 vortech mp40
Skimmer: swc 160
Controller: Neptune ac jr w/ dc8
Calcium reactor: *tbd
ro/di: *tbd
10 gallon h20 resevoir
corner overflow
durso standpipes

Livestock:

Once again this will be another sps dominated system with some lps and softies. Xenia will be used in the refugium along with cheatomorpha.

50-60 lbs of L/R for the main display and 30+ lbs in the sump. I really want to create a bonzai style aquascape. Very little l/r in the display and more room for sps colonies...:) See here...http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1288059

This time around I think I'm going to do sand. Just a 1" s/b but still contemplating bb as well.

Fish: 1 tang, 1 mystery wrasse, 1 flame hawkfish, 6 b/g chromis or glass cardinals, green mandarin or cool goby.

Other thoughts: 3 clams, cleaner shrimp, snails and a few hermits.

Wish me luck and pics to come...

-Jayson

Well congrats once again on your new baby! Too bad you're only at what your 3rd or 4th build now:badgrin:. A few more times we'll have to start calling you octoreefer:badgrin:. I will be glad to help you out! Drilling your tank should be easy (I hope:shock:). I will see you tomorrow? Oh by the way I just took out pry 10lbs of rock and my tank still looks packed. I have pry maybe 50lbs in there. I love that bonsai look too. I think I am going to try to create something simular. I plan on minimal rock in my DT as well.

Last edited:
Yeah it's my 4th tank in 3 years...:) I really wanted to branch out from the smaller tanks into a med tank. A larger tank just won't work upstairs so it's pretty much the closest I can get. :) Since Matt will have my tank and stand and doing much of the design should I have him drill the holes? I guess I'm not sure where the holes should be yet. He's going to draw up the sump design tonight so I should have an idea later tonight possibly. Yeah I think the bonzai look is pretty neat. Would look awesome in your 270!:)

I'm between these two lights...the new hamilton belize sun m/h t-5 combo or the geisemann m/h t-5 combo. I like that the hammy is a bit cheaper, has moonlights built in, a hanging kit and panels that direct the light toward the tank. I like the geisesmann's look a little better and it comes with geismann t-5's and ushio 20k bulb. Decisions, decisions!

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/index.php?cat=5&shop=1&

or

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...Product~GL1251~idCategory~FILTFIMHTFDEMT.html

Looks good....
Skip the durso and go with the "herbie method" overflow. Dead silent!! My vortech is the loudest thing in my display tank.

Gotta figure out where you want your holes for the drain and return to be 1st. Then you can drill the holes in the stand. If the stand is ready we can drill them after we drill the tank. Do you know if the bottom of the 40b is tempered? If so we might have to drill the back of your tank and if that is the case you wouldn't have to drill the stand.

I like the hamilton light set up! Duane how do you set-up the herbie OF. I want my tank to be quiet as possible too.

Looks good....
Skip the durso and go with the "herbie method" overflow. Dead silent!! My vortech is the loudest thing in my display tank.

I read a little bit about this setup do you have pics? I get so lost with all this plumbing stuff that is why I'm asking Matt for so help!:lol:

Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything.
And I think the overflow system is what I'm gonna do with mine.
Two stand pipes stait up (or one I guess) and a gate valve on the main which is shorter than the other (which is back up) and set the water level in the overflow box about 4-5 inches above the main, barely at the top of the bask up so no air gets pulled in to the main.
Totally silent.

The herbie method uses two bulkheads/standpipes in the same overflow as drains. One primary and one safety. The primary one is lower than the saftey and uses a gate valve at the sump. Then it can be fine tuned so no air is sucked into the plumbing
IMG_0244.jpg

Notice the water level between the two. I actually dont need the lower pipe bacause the gate valve is tuned so well. I use the stand pipe so that ALL of the water in the overflows doesnt go into the sump when the return pump is off for whatever reason. It brings the water level just high enough to make me nervous. ;)

Of course, in doing this with an AGA tank, I have to use an over the side return line

Last edited:
Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything.
And I think the overflow system is what I'm gonna do with mine.
Two stand pipes stait up (or one I guess) and a gate valve on the main which is shorter than the other (which is back up) and set the water level in the overflow box about 4-5 inches above the main, barely at the top of the bask up so no air gets pulled in to the main.
Totally silent.

I sure will thanks a bunch!

Here are some pics of the stand I built over the weekend. It's all sanded but it just needs some paint and knobs.:) It's actually 41x22x32.5:) I'm going to enclose the base of the tank with some trim work as well.

Gotta figure out where you want your holes for the drain and return to be 1st. Then you can drill the holes in the stand. If the stand is ready we can drill them after we drill the tank. Do you know if the bottom of the 40b is tempered? If so we might have to drill the back of your tank and if that is the case you wouldn't have to drill the stand.

I may just have Matt do the drilling now since the tank/stand most likely will be at his place anyway while we work on the design. I heard that most glass aquariums have tempered glass bottoms but I'm not sure. Looks like I will need to drill the stand but I'm not sure. :confused:

Back