dd911's 40B Project...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just stopping by. Great stand - sure looks good! Can't wait to see the set-up with the sump et al. The brace works great by the way.

Just make sure you've got enough room left in the sump for when your return is off.

Thanks I'll be sure to do that. Matt is the mastermind here and I'm sure he took that into consideration:lol:

Wow..```Thats a great looking stand..I am tagging along for the build! Shane

Thanks! I built the frame and had some help from a carpenter friend boxing it in. Took like 3 hrs tops.:) Just need to paint and put on some knobs.

jayson

If the bottom of the tank is not temperred we should make the overflow box a bit bigger and drill the drain and return through the bottom and bring the return into the tank through the overflow box. then there will be no visible pluming on this system!!!!

Matt

jayson

If the bottom of the tank is not temperred we should make the overflow box a bit bigger and drill the drain and return through the bottom and bring the return into the tank through the overflow box. then there will be no visible pluming on this system!!!!

Matt

That sounds good to me!:D Can we have the return come out of the overflow box near the bottom. I'd like to get some flow in the lower end of the tank. My only source of flow will be coming from the vortech and my return. The vortech is going to be located on the same side as the overflow. Since all of the flow will be coming from the right side of the tank, should we have the return located on the left side of the tank? I def trust your judgement so lets do whatever you think is best. :)

Matt also I was curious if you can add a tray for carbon somewhere in the sump? If not I can always use a reactor but I'd like to save as much space under the stand as I can. Is that an easy fix? I also like your idea for the refugium light to!

Hey Matt I'm free most of the day tomorrow if you need to go over things or need help with anything. Just call me or pm me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That sounds good to me!:D Can we have the return come out of the overflow box near the bottom. I'd like to get some flow in the lower end of the tank. My only source of flow will be coming from the vortech and my return. The vortech is going to be located on the same side as the overflow. Since all of the flow will be coming from the right side of the tank, should we have the return located on the left side of the tank? I def trust your judgement so lets do whatever you think is best. :)

if you want the return on the bottom you better buy a good check valve. there is no way to make a siphon break with it on the bottom. its no big deal infact I agree with you on the bottom flow. I will send you a link to a good check valve.
there will be a ball valve before the check vavle with a union between them, once every couple months you will need to shut down the pumps close the all valve and remove and clean/service the check valve to ensure you dont have a flooding problem..

Matt

Matt also I was curious if you can add a tray for carbon somewhere in the sump? If not I can always use a reactor but I'd like to save as much space under the stand as I can. Is that an easy fix? I also like your idea for the refugium light to!

Hey Matt I'm free most of the day tomorrow if you need to go over things or need help with anything. Just call me or pm me.

Thanks!

you want both a filtersock and carbon tray? I can do that, just a little creative thinking....

Matt

if you want the return on the bottom you better buy a good check valve. there is no way to make a siphon break with it on the bottom. its no big deal infact I agree with you on the bottom flow. I will send you a link to a good check valve.
there will be a ball valve before the check vavle with a union between them, once every couple months you will need to shut down the pumps close the all valve and remove and clean/service the check valve to ensure you dont have a flooding problem..

Matt

Hmmm I don't think it's worth it then. I'm thinking the vortech should still provide a good amount of undertow. Let's have the return located within the overflow and have it maybe half way up the overflow. Can it be flush w/ the overflow but perhaps have the capabilty to swivel so I can change the flow pattern? I'm trying to get away from using loc line.

Hmmm I don't think it's worth it then. I'm thinking the vortech should still provide a good amount of undertow. Let's have the return located within the overflow and have it maybe half way up the overflow. Can it be flush w/ the overflow but perhaps have the capabilty to swivel so I can change the flow pattern? I'm trying to get away from using loc line.

Here is a cheaper valve with true unions built in, it will take up less space. I believe you will like your return done this way...
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...arts-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html
Matt

Congrats on the new tank Jayson... That didn't take long, did it?!?! :lol:

I'm sure this build is going to turn out amazing!!!

I just sent you a message.

Back