Denitrification WithOUT live rock.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What about using a Zeolite/Carbon Source System like the Elos Purist Line or ZeoVit? I think the clams and small amount of rock will probably handle your fish load but if not you could adjust the amount of Zeolite media to consume ammonium and I believe nitrite (this of course leads to less nitrate). Then you could further tweak the amount of the carbon source you add to feed the tanks phyto which then also consume the remaining phosphate/nitrate. They are then skimmed out. I am oversimplifying the two systems here but you get the idea. You ought to be able to find a balance between keeping the clams happy and bringing nitrate and phosphate to zero. Just an idea...

No offense barrierreefcf, but my vote is for the less sophisticated and inexpensive route...
Bucket o’ sand, ala remote. :)

No offense taken...just throwin out another option...:) We are seeing some pretty amazing things as we experiment with the Elos Purist Line. One customer is reporting that hair algae and bryopsis are actually dissolving less than 10 days after starting with the additives. Off topic...Yes it is expensive to run, and time consuming. I would never argue either of those points:)

Barrier, I do like that Idea. From what I understand it a little easier than the zeovit system. I may do some more research, for me it must be all automated. I just dont have the daily time to mess with my system.
The dsb in a bucket, I'd have to see some long term success before I would try it. I know Anthony believes it works and there is a really long thread over on rc. Non of the folks on rc using it have had it up for long, well see in another year or two how the dsb in the bucket is holdin up.
Right now my system holds 160g and I'm changing 100g weekly. I wouldnt mind giving some of IO's money to elos.

Don

Don,

We are still experimenting and learning the exact doses. It seems more forgiving than ZeoVit and once you get it dialed in I believe you can go to weekly doses. Jesse at Elos and Bricky here on RF are probably your best sources for info. We are playing catch up on the learning curve but so far we love it. Jesse is really helpfull and generous with his time so I'm sure he can give you good advice. We'll know more after a couple more weeks of dosing.

Isn't this a moot point. Clams can be very heavy consumers of nitrates, so maybe it won't be a problem at all. Rock is not a very good medium for denitrafication at all - if you decide you do have a problem try a dsb in a bucket, but don't make a 'bridge' till you know you have a river to cross.

Note that even the heaviest skimming will never remove all nitrate production as fish excrete urea, ammonia, not just solid wastes.

Isn't this a moot point. Clams can be very heavy consumers of nitrates, so maybe it won't be a problem at all. Rock is not a very good medium for denitrafication at all - if you decide you do have a problem try a dsb in a bucket, but don't make a 'bridge' till you know you have a river to cross.

Note that even the heaviest skimming will never remove all nitrate production as fish excrete urea, ammonia, not just solid wastes.

Live rock is a excellent medium for denitrification. Moot point, not at all. It takes alot af clam to consume any reasonable amount of nitrates. Size for size a 12 x 12 x 12 clam will not consume the nitrate of a good 12 x 12 x 12 chunk of live rock. There are to many differences from system to come to any real conclusion. I can tell you my monsters cant keep up with nitrates so I wouldnt assume that clams are all that great at removing nitrates.

Don

I wouldn't expect a 12*12*12 piece of liverock to be a terribly good denitrator at all, especially compared to a 12*12*12 bucket of sand. It just won't be in my experience, readings and work on the physical properties of limestones. There is just so much more 'volume' in a sandbed for denitrafying enviroments/bacteria to exist.

I was under the impression clam farmers drip ammonium nitrate into their systems to boost growth rates - is this an urban myth?

wouldn't expect a 12*12*12 piece of liverock to be a terribly good denitrator at all, especially compared to a 12*12*12 bucket of sand. It just won't be in my experience, readings and work on the physical properties of limestones. There is just so much more 'volume' in a sandbed for denitrafying enviroments/bacteria to exist.
That would be assuming that the whole 12x12x12 bucket of sand is open completely to bacteria..and then the right type of bacteria....and then the right type of migration of nutrients...and so on and so on. Rock kind of sucks to though so not alot of wins all around. Best I have still found is to still remove it prior to beakdown (trash always looks better on the curb then on your kitchen table:p )

Mike

Ahh, but there's the rub, you can't remove it all , no hope, no matter how big a skimmer. Because unless I am very mistaken, fish actively excrete urea and other nonskimmable chemical wastes directly - it's not just the fish poop that's the issue, it's the masses of fish pee as well, released as part of the process of maintaining osmotic balance. So no matter how much you skim, you always get ammonia.

Assuming you have good surface flow, and are plumbed into a live system to provide bacterial cultures why wouldn't you think the foot square bucket of sand I describe work? DSB in a bucket? My remote dsb seems to do ok...

I wouldn't go so far as to say rock sucks, but I think sands are much better. There is this popular model that ammonia to nitrate happens in an aerobic zone in the outer surface of the rock, and nitrate to nitrogen in the anaerobic inner mass of rock. Sadly, I find that increasingly hard to live with, as I think it fails 'Occams razor' - it is far easier to think about surface biofilms of anaerobic bacteria covered with a film of aerobic bacteria doing all the work, and live rock facilitates this by having a super complex outer surface , plus live cultures of the various bacteria that are doing this work. The model with bacteria inside the rock is really hard to live with - the permeability of limestones is really variable, and often not that good because of choking of porespace connections by organic material, or the products of. However what that means is that while LR is good, sand is easier, better for providing area for bacterial cultures. I am familiar with sawing up pieces of rock, and seeing different colours , presumed to be limits of bacterial cultures, aerobic, anaerobic zones, and I tinhk these show how far into the rock aerobic water can enter thro' long , surface connected pores, but I am not sure what is going on down in these, and in the rock mass surrounding them. I am not even sure if these aren't simply showing different oxidative states of the clay minerals derived from diagentiised organics that were preserved , trapped during rock formation.

I wish I had the time, kit, to thin section and work on what really happens in live rock....

Ahh, but there's the rub, you can't remove it all , no hope, no matter how big a skimmer. Because unless I am very mistaken, fish actively excrete urea and other nonskimmable chemical wastes directly - it's not just the fish poop that's the issue, it's the masses of fish pee as well, released as part of the process of maintaining osmotic balance. So no matter how much you skim, you always get ammonia.
Absolutly! you are dead on correct. BUT think about it, when the fish pee's what happens? do you think the pee floats around until it reaches the sandbed/bucket/rock ? bacteria binds it almost immediatly, along with anything else that is floating in the water (ammonia ions, nitrite ions, dom, particulate matter and so on). So yes a skimmer, no matter how effective will not get it all. But if you allow the bacteria to bind all the different type of dissolved materials (which they will) and then do your best to remove them when the associate with larger particulate matter either through siphon, skimming or what ever other kind of removal method you may have you can stay ahead of the game. The you just use the Rock or sand if that is your choice to polish the water.
Assuming you have good surface flow, and are plumbed into a live system to provide bacterial cultures why wouldn't you think the foot square bucket of sand I describe work? DSB in a bucket? My remote dsb seems to do ok...
I dont assume that it doesnt work. I just think a remote sand bed and or sand in a bucket is very ineffective. Its not even in the location where the problems occur, so at best it only see's a small portion of the things that need to be bound up. no?
Sadly, I find that increasingly hard to live with, as I think it fails 'Occams razor' - it is far easier to think about surface biofilms of anaerobic bacteria covered with a film of aerobic bacteria doing all the work, and live rock facilitates this by having a super complex outer surface , plus live cultures of the various bacteria that are doing this work. The model with bacteria inside the rock is really hard to live with - the permeability of limestones is really variable, and often not that good because of choking of porespace connections by organic material, or the products of.
Yea its bunk for sure. let carry on you make some great points.
I am familiar with sawing up pieces of rock, and seeing different colours , presumed to be limits of bacterial cultures, aerobic, anaerobic zones, and I tinhk these show how far into the rock aerobic water can enter thro' long , surface connected pores, but I am not sure what is going on down in these, and in the rock mass surrounding them. I am not even sure if these aren't simply showing different oxidative states of the clay minerals derived from diagentiised organics that were preserved , trapped during rock formation.
more great points.
However what that means is that while LR is good, sand is easier, better for providing area for bacterial cultures.
ok lets talk for a bit. As you probibly know bacteria are not just free swimming critters that happen to live in areas of water (aerobic/anaerobic) that happen to condusive to them. They create their own enviroments that enhance their ability to bring in chemicals, remove compounds, control atmospherics (bad word but you get the idea) control migration and so on. We call those enviroments biofilms. These biofilm enviroments are not completely controlled by how deep in the rock or sand or bioballs or whatever other surface we use. You can have anaerobic bacteria enviroments on the surface as you can have aerobic enviroments deeper with in the beds. The reason this occurs is that the bacteria will create its own little world as long as it has access to what it needs at some point with in its biofilm. From their it will migrate the products it needs though out the biofilm as well as export.
So if we have to look at the differing forms of bacteria (aerobic and anaerobic) as microscopic critters living with in a mass of biofilm. Now we can inject substraights into the equation. When its a sand bed the biofim enviroments encompass the sand that is with in its biomass. So its not really that sand has more surface area thus it can hold more bacteria, because the bacteria live shoulder to shoulder with in the biofilm and have transmission tubes with in the biomass that migrates in the product they require and the exports their byproducts. Same thing applies to LR it just that the chamber that hold the biofims can be bigger.
The problem is that bacterial degredation is very slow and requires mass ammounts bacteria types to do the job, we as aquarium keepers cant supply that. So we have to help this system as much as we can, thus the use of skimmers, ozone, syphoning and all the other little tricks we have learned about over the years. Also another one is that all things aerobic will eventually turn anaerobic through the build up of end product.

Well I am pretty rusty on talking bacteria so I hoipe I havent just made things more clouded.

Mike

Not sure how its constructed but Indoor Reef in Tacoma is selling a product called the "Practical Reef De-Nitrator" that they claim will reduce nitrates to 0 in a system up to 300 gallons using natural Aerobic and Anaerobic Bacteria. Not sure how it works and I have not been by to talk to them about it yet but maybe it is somthing worth looking in to.

A denitrator is a peice of equipment (basically a large tube with a much smaller tube coiled with in it, filled with tiny particulate) that has tank water enter it, and slowly siphons the water through its media, thus subjecting it to aerobic and anaerobic bateria with in and then out comes the finished product from the other end. It does work but is very slow (a drip basically) .

Mike

Not sure how its constructed but Indoor Reef in Tacoma is selling a product called the "Practical Reef De-Nitrator" that they claim will reduce nitrates to 0 in a system up to 300 gallons using natural Aerobic and Anaerobic Bacteria. Not sure how it works and I have not been by to talk to them about it yet but maybe it is somthing worth looking in to.
I made two last week. They are going thru a cycle now. Not sure how much they want for them but I made two of them for under $50 total.

I've tended to assume the ammonia stay in solution till it reaches the relevant bacteria, which are attached to a substrate somewhere, when it is binded. I have assumed it does not matter if that substrate/bacteria is a little bit remote (my sump) as long as it is carried there. My pactical experience backs me up - I have an almost barebottom display, very fine sandbed in the sump
I have also tended to assume that the bacteria are pretty much sessile, and not skimmed out too much , even tho' I know they are often sheared off and can then be skimmed. I guess I oversimplify the bacterial bit.

clams do grow on rocks as well as sand so why are u taking all ur LR out it sounds cool idea lots of swimming room
also when u glue ur corals to the pillars think about the hight if these are the only corals then having them lower will alowe the corals to climb the pillars and end up witha nice effect

Back