Denitrification WithOUT live rock.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

you think the pee floats around

You should know about that per last phone conversation :D

That fire I built under you must have gone almost out and then a swift wind rekindled it. :lol: Or did you just blow on your.............;)

I've tended to assume the ammonia stay in solution till it reaches the relevant bacteria, which are attached to a substrate somewhere, when it is binded. I have assumed it does not matter if that substrate/bacteria is a little bit remote (my sump) as long as it is carried there. My pactical experience backs me up - I have an almost barebottom display, very fine sandbed in the sump
I have also tended to assume that the bacteria are pretty much sessile, and not skimmed out too much , even tho' I know they are often sheared off and can then be skimmed. I guess I oversimplify the bacterial bit.

There is a good deal of bacteria in the water column itself, and begins acting on ammonia as soon as it is produced. Over the years, I've always seeded new tanks with water from established tanks...works very well

MikeS

I've tended to assume the ammonia stay in solution till it reaches the relevant bacteria, which are attached to a substrate somewhere, when it is binded
Wayne you would then have assume that the water is devoid of any type of particulates? One also should concider other surfaces such as the fish itself, its gills, its intestinal tract, and so on and so on.
I have assumed it does not matter if that substrate/bacteria is a little bit remote (my sump) as long as it is carried there. My pactical experience backs me up
Its doesnt matter to much Wayne, its just not as efficient. You just miss what stays in the main tank. Ammonia shouldnt be an issue in any established tank unless their are some serious problems.
I have also tended to assume that the bacteria are pretty much sessile, and not skimmed out too much , even tho' I know they are often sheared off and can then be skimmed.
If you use a skimmer you are always skimming off a ton of bacteria, every partical and once of sludge is just thriving with it. To be honest, skimming off bacteria is a geat way to export various nutrients. Just think of it as the animal form of algae. :p

Back