designing pro equipment, what do you want???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

As you all know, im a total nano freak...
and the avalibility of skimmers for nanos always leaves me buying a skimmer designed for a larger system...
The only in sump skimmers worth a damn that comes close in smaller size would be the tunze 9010, and the SWC extreme 160, and they are still too big size-wise for many smaller systems...and then theres all these all in one nanos that have virtually no room for skimmers, but need skimmers badly...and im not too impressed with the available options... except mabye the euroreef nano skimmers i've seen, but even those are underpowered for the tank sizes they are rated for, imo...
so definately something im working on....

also, everybody and their dog and mother have a maxi-jet mod kit out for high flow, wtf about a maxi-jet mod kit for making it the best protein skimmer pump it can be? god knows theres enough crappy skimmers out there that have that pump on it. it needs a total front end over-haul to be a good skimmer pump :)
Well I'm gonna have to buy your first one..
I was gonna buy a small berlin skimmer the other day but, I want you to make me one...
It will be better I know..
So just give a shout when it's ready...

sorry if this has already been suggested didn't have time before posting this to read through all the other posts.

I have a 125 flat back hex, so its kind of an odd shape, we would like to do a sump/fuge, but since it is an odd shape we will be limited on space and wasting space on the sides.

I think it would be a good idea to make odd shaped sumps/fuges for bow front tanks, hex, and flat back hexes so that not so much space is being wasted.
The problem i do see with doing that though (but maybe its just because i don't know the standard dimensions) would be the standards or if there are standard dimensions for these odd shaped tanks. lol

Make sense?

just an idea, if its possible.

One thing I noticed with all of the skimmers I have been looking at is they all say Ozone Safe but none of them that I saw was really built for it.

I talked to you about this before skimmer so sorry if I bore you with this.

Maybe offer a Ozone mod

This is so customers can get a special cap for their skimmer cup. Something that we can just pour the carbon into to cover the vent. Of course we would need to put something like a small sock filter over it so the carbon does not fall through into the cup.

Also maybe a injection port that is just capped off if not in use.

It seems like alot of manufactures have jumped on the sicce bandwagon, but I'm getting tired of screwing with my 2 sicce pumps.
How about a skimmer with a different pump? Maybe a Askoll? I've heard they are suppose to be pretty good.

thanks for the kind words carlos, very soon after we decide on the prototypes we're designing, we will make a brochure spotlighting out first products. I will make sure you receive one. :)
and of coarse we are available to make custom sized equipment for larger systems, and once were rolling here in another month, we'll be able to give you a quote. Ty for your interest.
And actually, i'd like to thank everyone for their interest, business inquiries, and awesome ideas, there's been alot!!

anytime guys, just shoot me an email when you guys are ready
keep us posted.

sorry if this has already been suggested didn't have time before posting this to read through all the other posts.

I have a 125 flat back hex, so its kind of an odd shape, we would like to do a sump/fuge, but since it is an odd shape we will be limited on space and wasting space on the sides.

I think it would be a good idea to make odd shaped sumps/fuges for bow front tanks, hex, and flat back hexes so that not so much space is being wasted.
The problem i do see with doing that though (but maybe its just because i don't know the standard dimensions) would be the standards or if there are standard dimensions for these odd shaped tanks. lol

Make sense?

just an idea, if its possible.

excellent idea, thank you!

One thing I noticed with all of the skimmers I have been looking at is they all say Ozone Safe but none of them that I saw was really built for it.

I talked to you about this before skimmer so sorry if I bore you with this.

Maybe offer a Ozone mod

This is so customers can get a special cap for their skimmer cup. Something that we can just pour the carbon into to cover the vent. Of course we would need to put something like a small sock filter over it so the carbon does not fall through into the cup.

Also maybe a injection port that is just capped off if not in use.

already had the discussion with mike, it seem like a no brainer free add on for a collection cup
:)

It seems like alot of manufactures have jumped on the sicce bandwagon, but I'm getting tired of screwing with my 2 sicce pumps.
How about a skimmer with a different pump? Maybe a Askoll? I've heard they are suppose to be pretty good.

We will definately be modding askoll/laguna pond pumps...
but also, i will be riding the sicce bandwagon as well...the issue isnt with the pump...it's peoples/companies stupid mods they do to it.
Warner Marine does an excellent job of modding the sicce pump, as does ATB.

im planning on "machining" a meshwheel for the sicce that wont have start up issues when im done with it...
im also looking into using different sicce pumps, as well as the smaller aquaclear pumps, which are in reality small laguna/askoll pumps :)

but all of that is merely a band aid until we get our own pumps going...;)

Just wanted to keep people updated...

Due to the requests we have gotten from people already, we decided to expand and retool our cnc to do larger sizes, so it has taken a little extra time, but im happy to announce that by the end of this weekend we should have the software installed and the cnc calibrated, so we will be working on sumps and prototype skimmers next week!!! YAY!!
also, for the geeks, i'll take some pics next week of the shop(s), cnc, and our first prototypes! :)

Also, we have gotten so many requests for it, I thought I would mention than in about 6 months or so, we will be doing some t5/led, and led light fixtures... but keep in mind these led's wont be used to grow coral, oh no.... they will be "incredibly powerful super bright moonlights, just for effect" ...lol also in our future I see pumps, and mabye even controllers too. ...Being able to make circut boards on the cnc is a very handy thing :)

And, FYI, we should have decided on a name by monday, and will become full sponsors with our own forum here and on PSAS immediately afterwards. A big thank you to Reef Frontiers for allowing the little guys to at least get feedback from our friends and fellow hobbyists here

Last edited:
When I had a HOB skimmer I thought it could be so much better. TWO things I would like to see are a spot to put my heater in, and have the pump in the skimmer..... I hate looking at equipment!

I have a simple idea for you. An hang on overflow box that is made like CPR, but with black acrylic for the part in the tank. Would blend better, and I wouldn't have to look a a purple algae covered overflow...

they make the wrong part with black acrylic:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI..._Box-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

I would buy one just for this upgrade

maybe a slimmer design in the back to

a wyre design overflow like that I believe is patented by cpr, but that isnt to say that an overflow box cant be more attractive from the tank side. and offering it in black is what we have planned all along. :)

When I had a HOB skimmer I thought it could be so much better. TWO things I would like to see are a spot to put my heater in, and have the pump in the skimmer..... I hate looking at equipment!

those 2 ideas as well will be incorporated in the design of the skimmer. I hate stuff hangin' in the tank...
and on that note, I'll have some sweet suprises to show you guys on the hob skimmer here in the next few weeks ;)

I'm def looking forward to a nano HOB skimmer that works and is quiet. I'm still using the Octo BH-100F with a sedra 2500 for our 15g While its better than the Prizm we were using and having the extra chamber for media and a heater is nice, I just can't get it to skim well consistently. I either get a very wet skimmate or just a thick build up in the neck.

Id be thrilled to see some stuff made from real cast acrylic like we used to see. There are still a few manufacturers like Geo that use the good stuff but the designs are still just typicle DIY. Even the ones that have a cnc are still afraid to make any improvements and buy the tooling to do the job even better. My biggest pet peeve is square oring grooves with round orings, there is just no reason for details like this being ignored. I think folks are willing to pay a premium price for a premium product.

Good Luck
Don

Oh yeah Don, cell cast acrylic, none of this extruded crap. Im right there with you. And furthermore, I think people would be happy to not pay a premium price... Were trying to pass a fair amount of the savings on to the customer and keep the price range in the "medium" department for our high end gear. Of coarse we have to make a profit as well, but Im certain it will pay off in the end if we can keep the price down as much as possible for folks.

I'm def looking forward to a nano HOB skimmer that works and is quiet. I'm still using the Octo BH-100F with a sedra 2500 for our 15g While its better than the Prizm we were using and having the extra chamber for media and a heater is nice, I just can't get it to skim well consistently. I either get a very wet skimmate or just a thick build up in the neck.

Im looking forward to it too. I almost want to start with the HOB skimmer.. :)
We should be rolling here real soon...poor Mike managed to get slammed really back with the crud thats going around, Im sure he'll be on the mend soon enough though. The machinery is finally done and calibrated. :p
and I need to go over and take pics very soon too, I know. It's pretty damn geeky :)

Back