Devastating Tank Tragedy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Calcium Reactor is still off line, but only because I've not refilled the Co2 bottle. I do plan on getting it back online soon. I'll be adding a couple inline valves, on the Co2 line. These valves will only allow "so much" Co2 through them. So, if anything were to fail, the valves will prevent a catastrophe.

Glad to see you recovered. I'm still confused as to what caused this?

Don

Don, it was a combination of the needle valve being plugged, and my stupidity.

Something was plugging the needle valve, of the regulator. Every couple of days, I'd have NO bubbles, so I'd open the needle valve, a little more. This went on for a couple of weeks, resulting in me opening the needle valve, completely, unknowingly. Then, whatever was plugging the needle valve, came out, emptying the entire Co2 bottle, rapidly. I wasn't home, and only knew what had happened, and how rapidly it occured, because when I got home, the Co2 bottle was iced up. Compressed gas bottles won't ice up, unless they empty rapidly.

Don, it was a combination of the needle valve being plugged, and my stupidity.

Something was plugging the needle valve, of the regulator. Every couple of days, I'd have NO bubbles, so I'd open the needle valve, a little more. This went on for a couple of weeks, resulting in me opening the needle valve, completely, unknowingly. Then, whatever was plugging the needle valve, came out, emptying the entire Co2 bottle, rapidly. I wasn't home, and only knew what had happened, and how rapidly it occured, because when I got home, the Co2 bottle was iced up. Compressed gas bottles won't ice up, unless they empty rapidly.

If your supplier is filling with dirty co2 or your bottle is rusted you can use a fuel filter for a 1960's VW bug. Works great and cost about $2.

Don

It's hard to believe that it has been a year. Everything is looking great!! We need to come and visit again soon. Hope everything continues to go good and I would really look into a ph controller, in fact I have one that I am no longer using send me a PM if you are interested.

Don, that's good to know!! I'll look into that! Any advice on how I'd plumb it in?

Scott, It is hard to believe!! You guys were here, visiting, two days before it happened, when I was putting the trap in the tank, to catch the Lavender Tang...lol. You do need to come visit again soon!! I might just take you up on that ph controller!!

Don, that's good to know!! I'll look into that! Any advice on how I'd plumb it in?

Scott, It is hard to believe!! You guys were here, visiting, two days before it happened, when I was putting the trap in the tank, to catch the Lavender Tang...lol. You do need to come visit again soon!! I might just take you up on that ph controller!!

They are small just cut the co2 hose and put it before your needle. If you have an all in one you need to get a aluminum bottle or maybe a new supplier.
A ph contoller is just another piece of equipment to maintain, calibrate or fail. Dont do what you did and you dont need one. :lol:

Don

Okay, I have an aluminum bottle, and I don't "trade" bottles. I make them fill mine, since it's in great shape. Sometimes I have to leave the bottle with them, for a day or 3, until they're ready to fill a bunch of Co2 bottles, but at least I keep my bottle.

As for the filter, my needle valve and solenoid are attached directly to my regulator, with no line between the regulator and needle valve. Just a fitting, between regulator and solenoid/needle valve. I guess I could find brass adapters, to adapt from the regulator, to the filter and then to the solenoid/needle valve.

Wow, I had no idea this happened. I am sorry for your losses. :(
I am glad I did not respond to the first post, I forgot to check the dates and almost did, then decided to read the whole thread instead.
Stupid valve! What brand was it Sid?

Frankie, the regulator assembly is Milwaukee. After this happened, while doing some research, I found that this is actually a fairly common problem, with these regulators. Milwaukee even has a "fix" for the problem, which involves drilling out the port that the needle valve seats in. Why they don't "fix" the problem, during the manufacturing process, is beyond me...lol. I think, earlier in this thread, I might have provided a link to the "fix."

Ken, thank you very much!

I'll admit that, when this happened, I almost left the hobby. I can't even describe the pain and sorrow I felt, while pulling dead and dying fish from the tank, and removing so many white sps skeletons. Then, watching, over the next few days, as fish that didn't initially perish, slowly died. It was truly devastating!! The support of fellow members, locally as well as here on Reef Frontiers, is what kept me in the hobby. It's been a learning experience, however painful. It's also been a great example of "pay it forward." There were a lot of corals that I'd given out, throughout time, to fellow hobbyists, prior to this happening. I was able to get frags of those corals back, from those hobbyists. It really strengthened my, already strong opinion, that we have a really wonderful community of people, here on Reef Frontiers!!

Glad to hear this sort of "one year out from disaster" story!
BTW, The frags I got from you are doing great.... thanks again.
D

weekend tragedy

Mike-

That kind of loss is really hard on the entire family. I hope everyone is doing better and perhaps looking forward to starting the tank again. Take care.

This is GREAT! Sid still gettin' luv a year later after his mishap. This forum is AWESOME!

Wow man sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you have some of your fish pull thru. This is the reason im scared to go wih a calcium reactor myself. HAHA just saw the dates....Bet your tank is doing much better by now

Back