Diatom Algae keeps returning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
I got rid of all of the algae by using turbo snails and other kinds of snails and keeping the light off the refuge. He is returning again and i cannot figure out why. I would like to find the root problem so i can end the problem but i am going to need some help.

Its a 30g with a 20g refuge. I have two clarki clowns, a mandarin goby, two hermits, plenty of snails both in display tank and refuge. I use ro water, ph buffer, kh buffer, and a calcuim buffer, i also does with purple up twice a week.

ph 8.3, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, Sg. 1.024 Just installed phospate removing media.

Coralife fixture, 10k bulbs. 18w i think.

I would bring up your salinity to designed level of manufacturer. I myself would not recommend Purple up. You want to add things you can test for. Combination additives are sometimes like adding a grenade to tank. You just wait for a overload to happen. Its usually a extra import. When ever we have a issue our first response should be to do a water change to designed salinity level of Manufacturer.

Diatoms are usually a indicator of abundant Iodine levels or excessive nutrient levels.

Things I would monitor would be if you are overfeeding or overstocking, If your skimmer is aggresively skimming? . If you have adequate water circulation to keep things suspended so skimmer and filtration systems can work properly. I always want to talk about how important aquascaping is. One simple moment to organize your rock so water can flow effectively can do wonders.

Silicates enrich or promote Diatoms.

Rule of thumb is a healthy balanced aquarium can go a week without viewing being compromised by microalgae.

Im not sure what they are measuring and i had the algae problem before i started using purple up. My skimmer works well but is not awesome. I don't have an issue in the main tank its only in the refuge. What do you mean about he salinity?

Im not sure what they are measuring and i had the algae problem before i started using purple up. My skimmer works well but is not awesome. I don't have an issue in the main tank its only in the refuge. What do you mean about he salinity?

If you only have a diatoms in your refugeum You are doing fantastic.
Salinity is often lower in transport tanks for fish. Saltwater manufacturers design salt to be close to natural saltwater. They usually have 350-400 ppm Calcium, Alk balanced as close as they can, Magnesium close to recommendations.

for reference.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

When ever you mix your salt mix to other than recommended specific gravity or salinity The salt mix elements are unbalanced even more. It may be easier on fish but not on invertebrates.

Back