ReefGeekers 90g Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nice looking tank. Thanks for taking pictures with the white lights on. Shows the colors better than the blue ones most people take.

That is nice looking. Yeah looking forward to seeing the new additions. My 90 doesn't look that nice or clean

Old skimmers
SAM_1543.jpg

New Skimmer
Newskimmer_zpsec4f625c.jpg

Looks good man, you have tons of room under your stand. I can't wait to get a 90 :D
Does that flex hose work good?

The flex hose is working good haven't had any problems yet. I had to drain my sump and drag it out to get that beast in there, its bigger than I thought it was gonna be lol just enough room to sqeeeze it in there. Can't wait for this skimmer to get broken in. I'd like to thank skimmy again for the recommendation! I'm going to Todds later to get the UV sterilizer so that should be up and running tonight too! :cool:

Last edited:
what do you think about the uv? I havn't found much of a reef community around me yet, to look at tanks n compare i take in things visually im lost on tech talk. I gotta get a camera, hopefully some fish also. Had strange things happen to my fish, the few corals seem happy luckly.

what do you think about the uv? I havn't found much of a reef community around me yet, to look at tanks n compare i take in things visually im lost on tech talk. I gotta get a camera, hopefully some fish also. Had strange things happen to my fish, the few corals seem happy luckly.

Don't put the camera in with the fish, they don't have fingers to push the shutter button anyway. The way I understand the UV devices is that it will kill the suspended bacteria as it goes through the UV. It doesn't discriminate between good bacteria and bad, it kills it all. If you want one for the algae fighting properties, I was told don't bother, it isn't very effective. Maybe someone who knows more about these can chime in.

If you are on a tight budget and have to choose what equipment is most important for a reef tank, I would choose a skimmer before a UV. Having said that I do still run a UV on my tank. It does aid in killing parasites like ick in the free swim stage. It does not eliminate ick altogether but it does aid in controlling it. Since it kills stuff in the water column I personally feel it helps give your water that crisp sparkling quality.

I lost my job, so now i just gotta part time, $s tight. I got the skimmer n stuff just looking toward the future. I treat my tank better then me and fish die outta the blue. just searching for ideas petco's not alotta help, they trie tho. Isn't ich always in are tanks? that always confused me, not saying much lol.. Thanks everyone

I don't know if ich is always in the tank. I have never run a UV filter and none of my fish have ich and all have been in the tank, except for three, for over a year. Now that I say that, watch, I will have a massive outbreak.

I don't think ick is always in a tank but there are multiple ways it can be introduced. If you get new fish that are infected and they are not quarantined, that is one way. Even if you get a new coral and you pour the water the coral came with, if that water contained ick in the free swim stage you can introduce it that way as well. Not everyone is in a position to set up a quarantine tank,(myself included)so the UV sterilizer aids me, along with other precautions in controlling ick.

Well I see theres been a little disscussion going on here lol :clap2: , I have been lazy/busy and have not set it up yet. I need to get some hose. As vlangel said the UV aids in the prevention of ick but most of all it kills free floating algea cells which in turn makes for really crisp lookin water.

Right on thanks guys. my fish arn't gettin ick, their gettn taken out by my lobster. I thought i read somwhere, but thats why i like here cus people have real expiernce.

Well I did go to the frag swap on saturday, late but I did go lol I got there 10 mins late for the raffle which was lame however the swap was very cool. Couldn't stay too long but picked up a few little things but this RBTA is my favorite new addition.

Nem2_zpsf7f08cd0.jpg

Nem1_zps1f7b1a6c.jpg

Nice RBTa, but the raffle wasn't lame, it was great. Especially since I won a great prize. YooHoo! Got two great corals thru the raffle, bought 3 more. Lots of people walked out happy. I was there all day and had fun.

Last edited:
Back