DIY Stand Canopy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ATP123

Huh?
Hi,

I'm making a new stand and a canopy for my 125 gallons. I made it by using 2x4's for the skeleton and then covered it using solid poplar. The canopy has the same design as well. The stand and canopy has a total of 12 doors. (six on stand, six on canopy). There will be three doors on each side. The tank will be set upped as a walk-around. I used three layers of classic oak polyshades. On the stand, there's and Ice cap VHO ballast, Galaxy dual 250 watts ballast and an extension cord. On the canopy there will be normal reflectors and Lumenark mini pendants. We're going to move our tank this saturday. I also covered the frame using water resistant stain.

Looks great!!! You should set the Lumenarcs off centered from each side to get better coverage.

I knew I should of put it a little bit in the center. Couldn't decide on where to put it. I would move it, but, Kinda afraid to make new holes on the skeleton too close to each other. The reason I putted it at the side was because the center there will be an overflow and most of the corals will be on the side. There will still be a lot on the middle though. And I need room to put my head in the tank because I always have hermits fell into the overflow. I will see how it looks like and If it looks bad, I'll change it. Also for the VHO's should I use all actinics? or actinic/ daylight.

Last edited:
I really like the way your stand is constructed, most skin with plywood & you made it with solid wood. Also like how you planned space for the electrical & the hood design all very nice. I think moving your lights will allow the light to cover more evenly, I think at that height you should get complete coverage.

Wow, really nice work on that stand. You did an excelent job. Noticed you had one of those Belkin steel case GFI power centers. Where did you find yours? Took me forever to find one over at Fry's!!

Wow, really nice work on that stand. You did an excelent job. Noticed you had one of those Belkin steel case GFI power centers. Where did you find yours? Took me forever to find one over at Fry's!!

I found my belkin power center at home depot. They have like a bunch of those. I'll be assembling the doors tomorrow. We're going to test our lights later tonight.

Haven't done anything for a while. My naso died last weekend so I delayed my move until this up coming saturday.

Pics of assembled doors

Pics of doors open (you could see the other side because doors open on two sides, so 12 doors total)

It's so cool the doors can be open on both sides :D
It's kinda hard assembling the hinges though

Haven't done anything for a while. My naso died last weekend so I delayed my move until this up coming saturday.

Pics of assembled doors

Pics of doors open (you could see the other side because doors open on two sides, so 12 doors total)

It's so cool the doors can be open on both sides :D
It's kinda hard assembling the hinges though

oops.... forgot pics

After

about 20 hours of hard work, It finally paid off. My new tank has been moved.

I started taking it apart at about 6:13 A.M. on Saturday. I cleaned the tank, I removed the algae on the rocks and moved it to a new room around 3:00 PM I started filling it with rocks , sand , water at about 3:50. We ran out of RO/DI water at about 5 PM. So we had to buy them. At about 9 PM. We assembled the canopy and lights. We took an hour break at 11 Pm. At about 12:30 AM. We started to fill the tank with corals. We finished at about 2 A.M. We finished putting all the fish at around 3 A.M.

After

about 20 hours of hard work, It finally paid off. My new tank has been moved.

I started taking it apart at about 6:13 A.M. on Saturday. I cleaned the tank, I removed the algae on the rocks and moved it to a new room around 3:00 PM I started filling it with rocks , sand , water at about 3:50. We ran out of RO/DI water at about 5 PM. So we had to buy them. At about 9 PM. We assembled the canopy and lights. We took an hour break at 11 Pm. At about 12:30 AM. We started to fill the tank with corals. We finished at about 2 A.M. We finished putting all the fish at around 3 A.M.

More pics

There will be more when halides turn on.

Unfortunately, I'm just 90 percent complete. I still have to hide the cable from the mp40 and I need to make a new sump for the ETSS

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    46.7 KB
Back