DLSR raw photo question??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I'm wondering where all my white noise is coming from when I shoot in RAW but when I shoot in "L" jpeg format I get clearer sharper photos
Same camera same lighting same settings just raw and Jpeg
Now dont mind the color difference in these two photos but please tell me What one was shot raw and what one was Jpeg format..
IMG_3948.jpg

oct82010001-1.jpg

iso 200 fstop 10 shutter speed 1/8
I know how to shoot the photos good I want to know why "RAW" has noise and the jpeg doesn't??

According to the EXIF data, both images are Jpg.

However, the first image is a larger image file, but not by much.

What type of post editing are you doing? My guess is that the post editing is what is creating the noise.
This can happen, quite easily, if you're editing contrast, brightness, cropping.....

Keep in mind that Jpg is a compressed image AFTER your camera has already done it's own editing.

RAW images REQUIRE you to do post editing, before they're "acceptable."

Can we see the original images, prior to any post editing that you have done?

mike I took the raw image and just did white balance and saved as a jpeg in order to upload to photobucket and what not

When you saved it as Jpg, did you save it in the highest image quality available? The reason I ask is because the RAW image should be a much larger image file, than the Jpg, even after saving as jpg. For instance, I just took senior pics of a kid Angie works with. I took the pics in Jpg/Raw. We used the Jpg images to narrow it down to the one he wanted in the year book. I edited that particular one, from the RAW image, because the year book required Jpg. The image that was edited from RAW and saved as Jpg, was still a much larger image than the original Jpg of the same photograph. I'm talking an image size almost 4 times as large.

As for emailing, hmmm not sure. The new and UNimproved Hotmail is supposed to allow larger images to be emailed.

Mike the pics are fuzzy noisy in raw form in photoshop.. same pics multiple times tripod , settings the whole works it's not "BLURRY" it's noisy.. Why??? raw should be clearer.. in photshop .. why the noise with the right settings?!?

Just quickly looking at the first post. I'd say that if you are shooting your jpeg with any kind of creative features (i.e. boosting saturation, color, etc...). Did you shoot your jpeg with all the creative functions on 0?

The jpeg creative functions can sometimes "hide" shadow detail.

Last edited:
To answer your question in the first post. If these are straight out of the camera shots: I would say the bottom picture is RAW. But if you have edited them at all, I might lean more towards the top as being the RAW shot?

I will post two tomorrow that are not edited at all and I will crop down to actual pixles and you will see what I'm talking about.

Assuming the ISO settings remain constant I would look at your work flow for post processing the raw images.

I'm wondering where all my white noise is coming from when I shoot in RAW but when I shoot in "L" jpeg format I get clearer sharper photos
Same camera same lighting same settings just raw and Jpeg
Now dont mind the color difference in these two photos but please tell me What one was shot raw and what one was Jpeg format..

When you shoot in RAW the image is 100% unprocessed with no noise reduction no nothing. In JPG your Rebel is going to shoot at whatever picture style setting you have selected. Meaning it will apply noise reduction and whatever else is set in the defaut picture style.

If for example you wanted to make those pics identical you would just apply the defaut picture style in your Canon DPP application.

People shoot in RAW so that they can decide after the pic is taken how to process it. Take a look at your picture style editor and look at the default pic style setting. These will tell you exacly what the camera applied.

You can either use them as a guide line or apply them to the raw image. You can even use them in LR since LR is so very close to Canons DPP in the the way it applies changes.

Don

Back