Do I have enough flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

We recently set up a 150 AGA, twin megaflows rated @ 1200gph. We have a MAG 18 operating at about 3ft head and 3 250gph powerheads located @ on the sides and back of the tank @ opposing angles. Our "plan" is to have mainly LPS, but of course a few SPS will likely make it in and maybe a softie or two. I just want to make sure we have the flow to support them and aren't sure how to figure the exact gph?

I think you will need more:D That's about a 17x turnover rate going on the mag18 putting out full flow. You'll want quite a bit more than that IMO for the SPS's especially. I had about 104x turnover rate in my 38gal (which people may think is extreme but my corals loved it :p ) but here's a thread I'm not sure if you've seen yet (can't remember if I sent you a link before) which will give you an idea of what people are using in different sized tanks. You'll be surprised to see how much people use. Don is always a great example with having a 110gal with about 12,000 gph of flow:eek:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18140

So if I read that thread right, there is a big difference between the open loop flow and the total turnover once you include the powerheads in the tank? If that's correct than all I need to do is increase the PH size which is "relatively" inexpensive and can be done over time since we aren't adding ANY corals for 3 months??

Thanks Krish for all the help and patience BTW
:)

So if I read that thread right, there is a big difference between the open loop flow and the total turnover once you include the powerheads in the tank?

I'm not sure what you mean here:p But the turnover rate is how much times per hour you turn over your tanks volume (doesn't matter if it comes from a powerhead or a closed loop). So you have a mag18 (1800 gph) and 3 powerheads @ 250gph each which gives you a total of 2550 gph total (1800+250+250+250 gph = 2250 gph) and if you divide the 2250 gph by your tanks size 150gals you will get your turnover rate at 17 times per hour. :)

As for adding in powerheads, yeah...That's all you need to do. That is the easiest way to add flow. The main reason why people like to go with closed loops is so that they don't have to see powerheads sitting in the tank, but flow is flow:)

Also the increase in Powerheads can have heat problems ,ore so then a CL setup properly. Powerheads have a purpose in gettting htose areas that can not be reached by CL, But in my estimation, a Closed Loop would be better served with a Manifold. That is just from my expierence.

At 3' of head, your Mag 18 is only going to give you 1500gph at best, according to man. charts. Take into consideration any elbows and so forth you have in your plumbing, and that will reduce the gph slightly more. You may want to look into getting a Sequence pump or the equivelent. I run a Barracuda on my 75gal and have been really happy with it.

On my 75 gallon I have a Magdrive 1200 about 16 feet away and with calculated losses its about 900gph supplemented with two Seio 1100's so thats about 3100 gph. So you might want a little more in your tank... Flow will be your new friend... :D

You have a couple options for increasing your flow.

Cheapest: For about 40 dollars + some time you can create what is referred to as a "modded maxi-jet". mjmods.com has more info. There is a ton of info about them on the forum as well. These produce about 1500-2000gph of flow.

Next cheapest is the Seio brands. These have the benefit of not requiring you to put anything together, and they are still pretty cheap. A 1500gph seio will run you around 70 bucks.

The top of the line is the Tunze systems. For those though youll be looking at 260+ for 1850 gph of water movement but they offer a whle lot more then just water movement. Many people use these as well.

Peace and gl with whatever route you go.

Back