• Not yet, but I plan on/want one

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • No refugium

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Other (please add below)

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

NaH2O

I had a recent request for this particular poll, so I hope we get some good responses. If you have a refugium, please comment on the size and also what you keep in it. Whether it is just live rock and/or substrate, live rock/substrate and macroalgaes, or simply macroaglaes, let us know!

I voted No refugium. I used to have one that gravity fed into the sump, with just live rock (filtration and pod propogation), but I don't think I was getting any additional benefits than if I didn't have one at all. I did perform maintenance on it, and would siphon up the detritus, so the sitting detritus wouldn't degrade my water quality (the fuge was BB). If I had a fish like a mandarin, then I may have left it on there for a continued food source.

Yes... I have a Fuge. It is incorporated into my sump design, and I have regulated the flow thru it to about 300gph. I have rock rubble and Chato in there. The groath of the Chato and the pod population is awesome!

I tried growing chaeto in the sump once and it just wouldn't grow. I prefer exporting the nutrients with a good quality skimmer and controling the imports.

I have a sump with a lighted section in the center which is sort of my refugium. I don't have a macro in there yet, I just let whatever algae wants to grow, grow in there for the time being and remove it as it builds up.

Oh well I hit other. My fuge is part of my sump, not a seperate system.
It has chaeto, and a little calupera. It is lit by 2x 65 compact flour, 6500k bulbs.

10 gallon fuge lit by a 130W Lights of America 6500K bulb (walmart). Growing cheato, xenia and a few other macro algaes, with some rock rubble. Fuge is BB

I added a 35 gallon refuge w/ refuge mud some macro, and live rock. It is lit by a standard 4' florecent fixture w/ wide spectrum bulbs on a reverse photo period. It gets the full tank turnover approx 800gph. I am not real happy w/ it yet. Algae blooms and no noticeable benefit at this time.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

adm1100 - what size is your tank? What type of macro are you growing?

I have a 110g display. approx 140g total syst volume. 2 400w 10k's, 2 96w compact atinics. 2 800gph seio's (tidal), 2 other power heads for wave motion, 2 300w heaters, 3/4 horse chiller. The system has a external return pump, syst. turnover is approx 800 to 1000gph. I have an mtx hsa - 250 skimmer. Incadesent moon lights. I have a 5 stage 100gpd ro/di that feeds a cistern and directly tops off the tank. Everything is computer controlled by a aquacontroller junior. The tank is in our dinning room. Everything else is in the basement. It is the system of my dreams. I have worked up to this over the years. Unfortunatly for all my time and effort the system has yet to show me that critical point at which everything starts taking off. I don't have a lot to show for my efforts. The system has been up for about 3/4 of a year and I have had several algae blooms. Some death and non acclimation. I admit that I have been tinkering and fine tuning the system., including spectrum change, filtration. . . everything. My latest effort this weekend will be to breakdown the tank ie remove all the rock and clean it. I will be returning some of the fish in my tank, to cut down on feeding. I have 3 types of macro in the sump. I am sorry but the only one I can ID is the caulpera. My goal is a colorful mixed coral tank. Please tell me what you think. My non reef keeping freinds think I need an intervention.

Last edited:
A must have if you have hard to feed fish

I love mine in my 150 tank I have 2 and they both only total about 10-12 gallons but they are big time pod factories the bigger one is a EcoSystem unit and it has about 26 watts of Pc reverse lighting the other one is alot smaller but it gravity dumps back into the main tank it is a CPR HOB and it is full of chaeto and pods I will also add the MFG. Links no plugs;)

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/reefugium.html

http://www.cprusa.com/products/aquafuge.html

I have a 2g fuge for my 38g tank. It has chaeto to the brim, LR rubble and 2.5" LS. It has another small pump inside to help circulate water. :rolleyes: I made it myself and it's full of amphipods and copapods and snails. I had my starfish in there for awhile too, they're great for "banishing" naughty critters ;)

Last edited:
I have a 75 gal. Tenecor tank i converted into a sump/refugium. I elevated the mud so the water passes through it from under not over, keeping gas build up from forming. I use miricle mud and miricle mineral mud mixed up for the substrate. I keep live rock, mangroves and macro algae in it. It's not up now since im re-building atm.But had it up for over a year with great success. I keep all my other stuff in there also like my skimmer, drop-in chiller, heater and carbon bags and such.

I have 2 30 breeders for fuges both viewable. One above the display supposedly for pods to live freely with out predation as they may and possibly make the journey to the main display fed from the sump and overflows to the main display. 2x65 PC some LR and 1in Aragonite substrate. Lower fuge ideally for the macro algae but unfourtunately also houses the "bad boys" - 1 large green brittle (about 14in tip to tip seemed to need to rearrange the tank) a yellow striped maroon clown (just could not leave the feather dusters alone) and a reef lobster -wasn't sure if he was helping him self to a few softer coral bits. Some LR and 1in Black Tahitian Sand. They have an alternate light cycle so there is a light source 24/7 on the system.

On my 150 I have a 10 gallon refuge with live rock, live sand, and three different algaes (cheato, calupera). I light the fuge with two 100 watt compact flourescents and the lights on reverse lighting from the tank.

im building one next week from an old 4ft tank
it will be half refugium half sump to hold skim and chiller
the refugium will be built in the center of my 4ft tank and will sit inside the tank stand with a cutout in the stand doors so the refugium can be seen with the doors closed
i may keep seahorses in the refugium if the water flows not too high

Back